clomid vs injectables

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By *Melissa*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am going next week for a meeting with my RE to decide the next step in treatment. We are trying to decide between a clomid cycle or an injectable cycle. The cost for our IUI is fairly low but wondering about the cost of meds and others opinions about clomid vs injectables? I have PCOS if that makes a difference.

I know it might seem dramatic to go to injectables without doing clomid but We dont really have the ablility to do to many cycles right now because of husbands work this is his down time until october then we wont be able to try again until next april so I figured that possibly going straight to injectables would give us the best chance, but I am worried about the cost of the meds?
April 27th, 2012, 07:14 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Unless you are fortunate enough to have insurance cover your meds and other procedures, the cost differences between an injectable cycle and a Clomid cycle will be substantial.

My Clomid+trigger+IUI cycles were $565 each...that included Clomid, ultrasounds, the sperm washing and IUI, bloodwork, etc. We never did an injectables + IUI cycle, but the estimated cost for that type of cycle for me was about $2,500...big difference! All of this will depend on your specific meds and how you respond, but the meds are pricey and with injectables you usually require more ultrasounds and bloodwork to monitor you more closely.

Another aspect to consider is your chance of multiples. With Clomid you will likely have one - three follies depending on your dosage and how you respond. With injectables, you may have a lot more. This could result in a cancelled cycle (some REs won't let you continue if you have more than 3 or 4 follies) or a much higher chance of multiples. DH and I skipped the injectables for this reason...it is something to consider and ask your doc about.

Good luck...I hope you have success before DH gets busy with work again!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

April 27th, 2012, 10:09 AM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Melissa*
since I had no insurance coverage they let me order my injectibles through ivfmeds.com. WAY cheeper ( not an cheep as clomid)

But for me personally ( i also have pcos) I will never go back to clomid. I have been on it a grand total of 11 cycles (with breaks) and NEVER conceived with it. I ovulated, but the side effects interfered with conception/ implantation. It took only 2 rounds of injectibles before I got pg w/ my 1st son.

HOWEVER, when ttc#2 we straight to injectibles, same protocal, but now I was over responding every time. After the third try we decided to screw it and go for IVF since it was more controlled and I wouldn't be wasteing my follicles/ eggs.

We got pg our first try with twin boys. I have 2 more frozen that I will go back for in a few years

GOODLUCK!!!!!!!
missy123 likes this.
April 27th, 2012, 11:37 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
I'd at least try one Clomid cycle, to see what kind of response you get if you have never been on the meds before. Why spend all the extra money on Injects if clomid will do the trick is my thinking.

My Blog
Me: 27, PCOS, ENDO, RPL, severe vitamin D defficiency
Him: 36, severe MFI post VR but counts climbing

2006-2015 7+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

IVF referral in= 7/2017
RE Appt #1- 8/22/2017- doctor swears I don't have PCOS or RPL, go VEGAN to cure all
RE Appt #2- 8/24/2017- sono shows clear cysts, high afc, all bloodwork comes back PCOS typical

PAUSED UNTIL JANUARY 2018 to find a new IVF clinic

April 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Veteran
It is completely up to you but the girls above did give some very valuable information. With our medicated cycles we have to do at least 6 months of Clomid cycles before our insurance will cover injectibles... then we can lead into it.. we have been TTC natually for over 3 years and decided to jump on the medicated wagon once we found it was covered.

If your insurnace covers it I go right into injectibles.. with all my research and my own sister's success rate with injectibles I prefer it over Clomid. Clomid like Melissa said has some nasty side effects that do affect conception. Many do get pregnant with it and I hope we are one of the many that do.. but it does not work for all people.

I hope you get the answers you are looking for and get that BFP before October! Good luck and let us know your decision! KUP!
Medicated Cycle #1: March 2012
Medicated Cycle #2: April 2012
CD 5-9: 100 mg Clomid
CD 24: + HPT
CD 28: Beta Test
April 27th, 2012, 06:02 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree that trying one Clomid cycle isnt a bad idea - Clomid itself costs about $20...my injectable cycle (I'm a very slow responder) which I did through Walgreens Speciality pharmacy (they give you a 30% discount if you get all your meds through them), the Follistim, pen, HCG trigger shot, alcohol wipes, disposal shipped to me next day air was just about $900...so, there is a big difference in price if you are paying it yourself...

One main other consideration (IMO) is age...I'm 35...a lot of the girls above are a lot younger...when you are younger, you have *better* eggs, so if you have more eggs ovulating, you have a higher rate of multiples...once you reach your upper 30s, you want the most eggs possible, in hopes that ONE of them will be a good one...cause most will be duds...the older you are, the lower your risk of multiples with the injectables...

As for me:
I tried multiple Clomid cycles, and never got pregnant on them...
I tried ONE Injectable cycle (with Follistim) and got pregnant on my first try - I had 4 eggs ovulate, and out of those four, only one egg was *good*...

A girl on TTCAL is 40 and had 8 eggs ovulate on a Follistim cycle and got pregnant with one also...

Another girl who I've been IRL friends with for year tried to get pregnant for 4 years...she did 6 Clomid cycles, I think 3 Femara cycles...she did a lap, she did acupuncture, she did everything...2 cycles of Follistim, and she was pregnant...

So, you obviously see where I side here...
I really feel that it just gives you much better quality eggs...

April 29th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Honestly I'd try at least 1 cycle with Clomid. Since it sounds like you've never done Clomid you don't know how you'll respond. I have PCOS too, but our biggest issue is DH's chromosomal issue. We just did Clomid, trigger, and TI. Our insurance doesn't pay for anything past TI. I got pregnant with both kids on that protacal. DS was my 6th and final cycle before moving onto injectables, trigger, and TI. We went back when DS turned 6 months and on the third cycle but upped dosage (the day he turned 9 months) DD was conceived.

made by BAM

April 30th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
I'd say trying clomid first. I managed to get 2 nice sized follies on 100MG of clomid for my IUI this cycle so it's definitely worth a shot

TTC #1 for five years
Battling PCOS and Male Factor Infertility

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search