TTC with low AMH

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Hi Ladies!

I'm new here and was looking for some support/info/advice/anything really!

Back in the fall of 2010, I got some tests done and my results were:
FSH: 8.8
LH 8.4
Estadiol: 26
TSH: 1.2
Prolactin: 7.7
AMH: 1.1

My RE said everything looked good, except that my AMH level was low for my age (28 at the time). Due to my AMH, he put me on Clomid, and thankfully, we conceived our DD that winter. She is now going on 8 months and we're thinking about trying for baby #2 now. I know doctors advice women to wait a year, but given our struggle to conceive our daughter, plus my low AMH level, I want to get this show on the road. So here are my questions:

Can your AMH level drop a lot over a year and a half?
Can I still nurse if I need to take Clomid again?
Does a low AMH level mean conceiving naturally is going to be difficult?

Thanks in advance!
May 15th, 2012, 12:43 PM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
Hi there, and welcome.

I'm not too well versed in AMH since my levels are normal, but I know we have a few ladies here who are dealing with this, and hopefully they will jump in with some input.

I know most RE's will not prescribe fertility drugs to a nursing mom, so you will probably have to wean before you can do those kind of drugs. Has your fertility returned post baby? Have you had a postpartum cycle? You may have to wean to even get to that point as well.

Low AMH can make conceiving difficult, but depending on what your AMH levels are, natural conception may still be possible. You may just want to consult with an RE again to see what they say- see where your bloodwork stands and what their policies are on nursing and MA.

Good luck on your journey to baby #2. Please stick around and we'd love to get to know you!

My Blog
Me: 27, PCOS, ENDO, RPL, severe vitamin D defficiency
Him: 36, severe MFI post VR but counts climbing

2006-2015 7+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

IVF referral in= 7/2017
RE Appt #1- 8/22/2017- doctor swears I don't have PCOS or RPL, go VEGAN to cure all
RE Appt #2- 8/24/2017- sono shows clear cysts, high afc, all bloodwork comes back PCOS typical

PAUSED UNTIL JANUARY 2018 to find a new IVF clinic

May 15th, 2012, 01:19 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I don't know much about low AMH, either, but I wanted to echo Jen about the BFing. My RE wouldn't even see me until after my first PP AF, and he wouldn't start fertility treatments again (of any kind) until I had 3 cycles. Most REs want your body to be somewhat-normal before starting things again. The chances of success are also lower if your hormones are wacky, so I didn't want to shell out thousands of dollars unless my RE thought it would work!

We have a couple of low-AMH experts on here...hopefully they will jump in and give you some great advice soon!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

May 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
From my understanding of AMH is a measurement of the actually quality of the eggs. FSH is your reserve, but the AMH is the quality of the eggs you have. Mine is normal but because of my age I have been taking DHEA. There are a few experts on here that will be able to direct you better and I am pretty sure most of them are on or tried DHEA supplement to help with egg quality.
If you were you tough, I wouldn’t do anything while nursing your precious baby. Test for all that blood work are super expensive so you wouldn’t want to do those while you are nursing. Don’t rush finishing nursing either… enjoy every minute of it because you just don’t know if it will be your last.
Hope you stick around and we can see your BFP soon! Good luck
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
May 15th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks ladies! I definitely do not want to rush weaning my baby cause I do have it in the back of my mind that what if I can't get pregnant again.

Regarding AF, I've actually had 3 already. I just started temping again this cycle so I'm curious to see if I'm ovulating. I used an opk a few months ago just for the heck of it and actually got a smiley face. I didn't temp last cycle, but there were definite changes in my cm and cp.

I'm going to meet with my RE at the end of the month to get a game plan going. I'm also going to try to get my AMH tested again (not sure if I should try to get everything tested again since it has been a year and a half).

Question: everything I read says 1 is a normal AMH level. When I was tested, I was 1.1 (technically, "normal") When I mentioned that, my RE said it was cause of my age. So my question is, is 1.1 super bad?
May 16th, 2012, 07:21 AM
hang in there - there are some AMH experts on here. They will see this and respond as soon as they see it.

I know if you are like me though you're dying to know some answers and it's hard to wait. So I google the death out of everything and confuse myself even more! It's great! lol
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
May 16th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Yep. Been on Google nonstop! I should stop cause I'm really starting to freak myself out. The more stuff I find, the more I feel like I'm doomed to have another baby.

I don't want to seem ungrateful for my daughter--she is definitely my world and I love her more than my life. I just want to give her a sibling to grow up with!
May 16th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I understand completely. I have a DS too and I love him with all my heart. Having one though doesn’t stop my desire to have another one. I feel like it makes it worse because the desire to give them a sibling and also the love of being a mother just takes over.
Look back at old posts on this board titled AMH or DHEA. There are several conversations regarding AMH. One of the AMH girls will post soon. I think a few of them are even pregnant now so they are on other pregnancy boards now.
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
May 16th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I've been looking at all the AMH posts here (some are very encouraging!) I'm hoping some of the AMH experts will give me their two cents! Congrats to the pregnant ones!
May 17th, 2012, 06:22 AM
wishfulgal
Hi, I'm not an AMH "expert", but just popping in. At the ripe old age of 26 1/2 while TTC #2 ( no major issues conceiving #1), I was told my AMH level was .72 I actually conceived that same cycle inspite of my low AMH and my DH's low sperm count, but sadly miscarried. 10 months later, I had my AMH re-tested (my doctor said there was no point in retesting but I insisted b/c I wanted to know if it was worse) and it actually went UP to 1.41...this was without me taking DHEA or any supplements to help because I was not sure what to do. Two months after that test, we conceived naturally again against the odds and I'm now 22 weeks pregnant with another miracle. Anyway, I was told anything above 1 is normal, so I would say you are on the low end of normal, perhaps a little lower than they would expect to see at 28 but not terrible.

Please don't give up hope. We were painted such a gloomy picture about our chances of having another child, and although it took over 2 years it did happen. I can definitely relate to your desire to have a sibling for your daughter, that is definitely a normal desire that most people have and nothing to feel bad about.
May 17th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Thank you for your story Wishfulgal! That's strange your doctor wouldn't want to retest. It's been about a year a half since I was tested. Maybe since it's been longer and now that I'm 30 and TTC, my RE will want to test me anyway. If not, I'll be like you and insist on it. That's great that your number went up. I've never heard of someone's AMH going up. I'll be praying that I'll be lucky.

Congrats on being pregnant! I was just looking through my photos and remember how great the early 20 weeks were! Not too big, yet big enough where it was obvious you were pregnant!

Thank you for your encouraging words!
May 19th, 2012, 02:30 PM
bkro9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there! I will give my opinion. This is not meant to scare, just to inform. I have a very low AMH, .4ish. But it was normal about 2 years ago. So it can change quickly, and dramatically. I just want to be honest. It couldn't hurt to at least get tested again to know where you stand! That might help you make a decision. Best of luck!

May 19th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well yes honestly it can drop pretty dramatically. I have to disagree with what was posted earlier though. FSH is quality of eggs, AMH is actual number of eggs.

See AMH like the sound in a concert crowd. The more people, the louder the crowd. The less people, the quieter the crowd. That's how AMH works. The fewer eggs, the lower the number. The follicle stimulating hormone ramps up and will influence the quality of the eggs. You can have bad outcomes with either high FSH and low AMH or both together. I have both. You can also have good outcomes.

I have an entire forum for you to read. It's technically titled High FSH forum, but almost all FSH ladies have AMH issues as well.

I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means on AMH and FSH. If I didn't have polyps and other issues, I might have carried a pregnancy. I can't say that my miscarriages come from crappy eggs, or from a bad uterus. I have a whole host of lady region issues!

My AMH was .29 and my FSH was over 33. I am now in Primary Ovarian Insufficiency (POI) which used to be called POF, Primary Ovarian Failure. I am not menopausal yet, but in the premenopause years. I am 29 years old.

Read here-- this is where the rubber meets the road on this topic for sure New High FSH Support Forum
bkro9 likes this.

May 22nd, 2012, 06:05 AM
Thanks ladies. I figured it could drop quickly which is why I'm going to push to get retested. If it is the same or fairly close, then I think DH and I will continue to try on our own until DD is 12 months. At that point, I'll wean her and then I'll take Clomid.
If my numbers don't look good, then that's where we will run into some tough decision. I truly don't want to wean my baby yet, but if it mean getting her a sibling, I think she would appreciate that in the long run. Here's hoping that my numbers are good.
Lash~I went and joined that site-thanks! I'm still trying to get the hang of it!
May 23rd, 2012, 06:04 PM
Veteran
If you can take the news (and I REALLY hope its good), get tested. I am 38 and have three children already. I had a chemical in February and was so upset that I insisted it was a sign something was not right and my doctor was happy to order bloodwork for me. I felt like I had been hit by a car when I got the results. Very, very low AMH 0.16 and FSH 10.
I am not going to get too stressed out by it but I want to have another baby so we'll be doing clomid very soon.
GL to you!!!!
May 23rd, 2012, 06:37 PM
Just a tip- Clomid can significantly increase FSH and cause some pretty bad results for those of us already struggling with AMH and FSH issues. It can have drastic negative side effects

May 25th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Naplesmomma-I'm praying the results are good. But the not knowing is hard. I look at it as a win-win situation. If my results are the same, that's great. If the results are not good, then I know I need to be proactive and get this TTC going full force.

Yikes Lash. I did not know that. Thankfully I got pregnant on our first month using 50 mg Clomid. Could you tell me some of the negative effects? My fsh was 8.8 last time I was tested.
May 29th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Search clomid at that forum I posted-many of us even refuse it because it can be that damaging

May 29th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I'm super bummed about that. I'm not sure if it was just our time, or if the Clomid did the trick for us, but our first month on it we conceived DD. Now I'm nervous about possibly having to take it again.

I go in later today for my consultation with my RE. Hopefully I get some positive news.
May 30th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Not sure why they just appeared, but I love all the tickers and pics! (especially the Twilight ones!)

Just wanted to update and say I met with my RE and he said I could get retested on CD 3. I thought I would have a while but I started spotting today ( 3 DPO) so it might be sooner than expected. As long as my results are fairly the same, he wants us to try on our own for 3-4 months. If they're drastically different, then we'll have to be more aggressive.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search