Opinions on Provera/Clomid - ok to start??

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2012, 09:08 AM
Veteran
Hi Al
Just wanted to get some feedback/opinions from you all.
Im coming off Depo - my last shot was December.......so i was due to get another Feb 23 and I didn't.
Im waiting to O and for AF, im charting.........

I am turning 36 in a few weeks , I have a drs. appt scheduled for June 7th.
I'm going to ask about Provera and possibly Clomid. My questions to you all is:
1) When should I start provera? is NOW too soon? in June it will be 4 months since my shot was due.......
2) Then when should I ask to start clomid? is NOW too soon? again 4 months since shot was due.
3) should I ask to start provera now and then if no O, then ask to add in Clomid in August (when im 6 months out)

Is there such a thing as starting these meds "too soon"? Hubby doesn't want me to get any meds, he wants to me "WAIT and let it happen naturally"
My age is what worries me.........
Im also start acupuncture tonight so that can only help right?

Thanks in advance for any advice, stories, opinions you are willing to share!!

Last edited by readyforbaby76; May 23rd, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
May 23rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
I'd go ahead and ask for the provera now, to try and jump start your body. I'd definitely give it a few more months before starting clomid. how long were you on depo? It can take 18 months for your body to regulate after spending a long time on birth control, so no ovulation for a few months is actually really normal. Considering you haven't even had a cycle yet, I think it's far too soon to even think about starting clomid, I'd probably talk to your doctor about doing provera at least once, maybe even 2-3 times before you do clomid, so maybe september or octoberish start it if still no ovulation on your own. Clomid really can do a number on your body, so it's best to let your body regulate as normally as possible first. Acunpuncture can help, and your acupuncturist might be able to recommend some herbs and natural supplements to try and help your body regulate too.

Good luck with your journey.

My Blog
Me: 27, PCOS, ENDO, RPL, severe vitamin D defficiency
Him: 36, severe MFI post VR but counts climbing

2006-2015 7+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

IVF referral in= 7/2017
RE Appt #1- 8/22/2017- doctor swears I don't have PCOS or RPL, go VEGAN to cure all
RE Appt #2- 8/24/2017- sono shows clear cysts, high afc, all bloodwork comes back PCOS typical

PAUSED UNTIL JANUARY 2018 to find a new IVF clinic

May 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Veteran
Thank you for responding. I started charting a few weeks after I was due for my shot. Im on like cd80 or something.........temps look good and are in low 97s so I'm just waiting to O.

I will ask for Provera when I go see MD, and then talk about Clomid as a backup for September-ish....

so you think Provera a few times and then if still no O after each time then introduce clomid? interesting, I have found a few women online that start both right away and I wondered if that was 'too much' - right away?
But then again, Im going to be 36 soon and I dont want to mess around waiting 18+ months if my body isn't going to start on its own.

I like the idea of trying provera a few times first - just to see, Thank you

anyone else have any thoughts, comments?
May 23rd, 2012, 11:19 AM
Veteran
Also, when I go to MD on June 7th? should i ask them to do any testing on me just to make sure Im "fertile" - bloodwork, check tubes, etc??
May 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
I'd ask to do some baseline bloodwork, FSH, LH, Thyroid, Estrogen, etc., but beyond that, I wouldn't stress. I know some doctors will do provera if you haven't had a period or ovulation after about 45 days, and I think that gives your body a better chance to do things on its own, and thats always better than having to medically force things.

I can understand not wanting to wait too long given your age, but I'd definitely try to give it a few months before you introduce clomid, so long as testing doesn't reveal any other issues.The standard for your age is to wait 6 months of trying before you get medical assistance, so september is 6 months after your last shot was due pretty much and I think that would be a good time to consider it.

I'd wait on in-depth testing until at least a few more months, unless your doctor feels it is necessary. It's also a good idea to get anything out of the way that you wouldn't want to deal with while pregnant- yearly exam, mammogram if needed, dental visits, eye exam, etc.

My Blog

IVF referral in= 7/2017
RE Appt #1- 8/22/2017- doctor swears I don't have PCOS or RPL, go VEGAN to cure all
RE Appt #2- 8/24/2017- sono shows clear cysts, high afc, all bloodwork comes back PCOS typical

May 23rd, 2012, 11:56 AM
Veteran
Thank you = will do
really appreciate your feedback, I quickly looked at your blog - looks like you have had a long journey - sending you good vibes and hoping you get your bfp soon
I see you have IUI tomorrow/?????
May 23rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
aww thanks, yes tomorrow is our 3rd(and hopefully final for this round) iui.

My Blog

IVF referral in= 7/2017

May 24th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Veteran
Oh JenJen
Im praying for you today that you get a sticky one!!! How exciting!

I Went for my 1st acupuncture last night. really enjoyed it, thinking positive thoughts and that its going to help. I feel cramping and like "something" is happening, not sure if its pre-O, my god im praying it is.....
or it could be AF coming, wierd I know but something is happening. Im on cd79 I think.

Also I dont know if i mentioned this but for the last few days I have had a light light pink on my tissue when I got potty, its not every time but a few times I saw some color = soooooooooooo maybe that means "something" is happening. ?

I pray, drinking lots of water, and praying.....

good luck to all!

ps - if you up for it, i would love to hear how it went, what you did, etc.

Just incase I get to a time where I need iui = goooooooooood luck again!
May 24th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I'll post an update in full on my blog tomorrow probably, I'm trying to spend most of today vegging and taking it easy since mine did not go as planned, lol.

Good luck! Hopefully the spotting and cramping is AF trying to comeA!

My Blog

IVF referral in= 7/2017

May 24th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Veteran
oh no? ok, hope all is well - thinking of you
May 24th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I appreciate your thoughts, all is okay, it was just not a routine IUI for me. I have endometriosis and due to some of my adhesions my uterus is twisted weird and it makes IUI's uncomfortable. It took a lot longer than normal, but the important part is it got done.

My Blog

IVF referral in= 7/2017

May 24th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Veteran
oh yay, well im glad it got done..........so now you just wait - to test?
maybe 13 days or so? very excited for you - it says beta 6/11 what does that mean? so for this iui you used clomid and trigger? trying to learn as much as I can - in preparation -
I hope it works for you - very excited. think positive, happy, baby thoughts
May 24th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I used letrozole, which is another oral med like clomid and the HCG trigger. Thanks to the trigger, I have to wait 10 days or so to test or I could get a false positive. Beta is beta HCG test, a blood test that measures the level of pregnancy hormones in your blood.

My Blog

IVF referral in= 7/2017

May 24th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Veteran
ahhhh I see = that is really exciting for you. Are you charting and temping? I am, obviously. - I dont know what that pinkish - ness was.......
nothing really today although every once in a while I "Feel" like something is going on, i feel some cramping or something in my ovaries, ha ha - maybe im just imaging it!
Can't wait for June 7th to get provera, i hope they give it to me. i can't imagine that they wouldn't. see my age and time its been.
OY - I swear I spend ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL day on this stuff, its bad. lol
May 24th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Hopefully AF shows before your appointment so you don't even need provera!

I track basic charting stuff, but I don't temp anymore. I've charted for so many years now that I don't even bother temping most of the time.

My Blog

IVF referral in= 7/2017

May 24th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Veteran
Hey I just found this..............ever hear of it. Im tempted to stop on way home and drink a TON tonight!
Parsley Tea to Induce Period

Herbs for Delayed Menstruation

thoughts?
May 24th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I haven't tried much with herbs, but I would probably hold off since you see your doctor in two weeks and you don't want to mess things up further.

My Blog

IVF referral in= 7/2017

May 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Veteran
oh really??? I was all excited, I bought some on my way home and made 1 cup already, if you dont think i should have any more - then I wont.
I DEFINITLY DONT WANT TO SCREW MYSELF UP MORE!

This is tough, I just want to do something. I wont take more though............I'll wait til June 7th

Oh I wanted to ask you, do you think clomid is safe? ever read or hear of anything negative to the baby if you conceive from using it.?

I dont see a problem with it but im SURE my dh will be concerned.

Then again, I wont be "going there" til Sept ish but im trying to prepare and collect all my information.

ANYWAY< HOW ARE YOU????????????????????????? feeling anything?
May 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Clomid is relatively safe, there are all sorts of warnings associated with any kind of medication, but it has been used for a long time (20+ years I believe).

I really understand wanting to do something, but I'm a firm believer in trying to let your body regulate as much as possible on its own before you add interventions, and adding them one step at a time. If you are already spotting, there is a good chance your body is trying to do something, and adding herbs could make it delay its own process.

As for feeling anything, I'm still really crampy and stabby from this morning, the tenaculum is my enemy. And I'm freaking melting because I came home and my air conditioner died, and it's only 87 in my HOUSE.

My Blog

IVF referral in= 7/2017

May 25th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Veteran
I hear you, Im taking FertilAid, Can't remember if I mentioned that. I started that the day my shot was due - so back in Feb. ??
Not sure if its helping or hurting but its "supposed" to help with the female cycle and conceiving. I wonder if I should stop it and take NOTHING until June 7th.
Its right around the corner..........?

I spend way too much time online searching for "a cure" -

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search