Hello and question

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2013, 02:44 PM
RoMo's Avatar Member
Hi everyone,

I am new here so hello! Sure wish we weren't all sharing in this sucky journey! DH and I are about 10 months in TTC and just had our 4th failed IUI. (First two were not medicated, second two on Letrizole) My doctor says that on paper this should be working but it obviously is not. She is leaving the decicion up to us what the next step should be.

My question is: what was the tipping point for any of you that this applies to? As in what made you decide to go from IUI to injectibles to IVF (if you were given the choice). Honestly a big part of the eqation for us is finances and whether to spend more money trying the less expensive route that should be working but isn't, or to just bite the bullet and go full IVF.

Anyone had something similar? I wish the doctor would make the decision for us. I don't trust myself to make sound decisions at this point.

Thanks for your input!
February 12th, 2013, 03:58 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Hi, and welcome! Sorry you had to come over to our board, but these ladies are great. I hope you find lots of support and info here.

A few questions that will help us help you

Do you have any known fertility issues? Is age a factor? Are you seeing an OB or RE? What testing have you had? I assume you are paying out-of-pocket for everything?

My personal story is this: We have unexplained infertility. We did 3 unmedicated IUIs and 3 IUIs with Clomid that were all failures (those were over the course of a year). We had a ton of testing, and I had a lap to rule out endo or any other problems. At that point our options were either injectables or IVF. We were uncomfortable with the lack of control that comes with injectables and the chance at multiples, so we jumped feet-first into IVF. (Yes, I know that is kinda funny since we now have twins.) Money was also a factor for us...did we want to spend $2-3000 per cycle of injectables, or just go all out and pay for IVF? I don't regret our decision to go to IVF at all.

There's no cut-and-dried formula about when to do these things and how long to wait. The most important thing is that you and DH are on the same page and feel ready for whatever you decide is the next step.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

February 12th, 2013, 04:19 PM
RoMo's Avatar Member
I wasn't sure where to spew our story, lol. So here goes.

DH is a two time leukemia survivor. He had a stem cell transplant ten years ago and is in the clear as far as that goes. But, he had pretty intense chemo and it took a toll on his swimmers. Count, motility and morph are all low. That being said, we are blessed beyond belief that he has any live swimmers to work with. So we knew there would be issues. He is currently on clomid....which is weird but also helps men. Who knew?

As for me, I am diabetic and about a year and a half ago was diagnosed with MS. MS didn't make my RE bat an eye, but I have to be uber careful with the diabetes. All of that is under control and both my endocrinologist and RE have given their blessings. I'm taking lots of folic acid and prenatals. I've had progesterone shots, HGC triggers and letrizole. I also did the HSG test with good results. I've never had cysts or PCOS probs.

I know. We are a medical mess. Our file at RE is about a foot thick. However, no one in the profession is telling us it is a bad idea to proceed. So here we are.

All of both of our test results are on the low end of normal for proceeding with IUI. So RE is leaving it to us and will do IUI a couple more times if we want. Financially, Yeay. Emotionally, GAH.

My diagnostics and tests are covered and even the meds have good coverage, even injectables.. Just the procedure itself we have and will continue to pay out of pocket.

So there's our situation!

Oh, DH is 36 and i will also be 36 next month so age is becoming more and more of a factor every day!

Last edited by RoMo; February 12th, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
February 12th, 2013, 06:18 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Gosh, I just want to hug you...not fair that you have so many obstacles!

Sounds like you have the right medical professionals working with you to make sure you are covering all of your bases...that is great! The only thing I can think of is an exploratory laparoscopy to check for any other issues, but that is totally optional. I did it only because it was covered by insurance and we didn't want to do IVF until we knew there was nothing lurking in there.

After 6 IUIs we were ready for IVF for a variety of reasons, and we were only 28 and 30. We needed to know if having children was in the cards for us or not, because the decisions we would make about our lives would be drastically different if we were going to pursue a childless life. Plus we had a window of opportunity where DH wouldn't be deployed so we could pursue fertility treatments, and once that window closed we would be moving and he would be gone a lot more. We dove in headfirst and ended up with 3 kids under 3

If there's any chance that either of your medical situations will deteriorate or become unstable, I'd be inclined to bring out the big guns and go for it. There are so many things you learn while doing IVF, and so many opportunities (assisted hatching, ICSI, PGD, etc.) to give Mother Nature the little boost she needs to give you the family you have always dreamed about.

I don't know if I have helped at all...in the end you and DH have to go with your gut feelings. Pray about it (if that is your thing). Get your RE's recommendation. Make a list of pros/cons. Explore your financial situation/options. And then go with what you can both be 100% comfortable with. When you decide, we'll be here to offer support, advice, and to cheer you on!

Melissa & DH

February 12th, 2013, 07:20 PM
RoMo's Avatar Member
Thanks. We all have a rough road, or we wouldn't be on this board, right?

Would you mind telling me more about the exploratory laparoscopic? What exactly was it looking for and how is it different from the HSG? What is the procedure like?
February 12th, 2013, 07:30 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Hello and welcome! Sorry you have to come here and chat with us but I am glad you did. I wouldn't have made it these last 2 years without this board. I know that sounds silly but it's true.

Anyways - as I bet you were told with low SA numbers the chances of IUI really diminish. It can surely still happen for you guys but your chances are a little lower. The best success rates are with IVF. You are in the same situation we were in a year ago. When we started doing IUI with injectables it was 3500.00 each cycle. We did IUI with just clomid which made it reasonable but it was still like 600.00 for that. DH and I decided that since our chances where only 1% on our own TTC and only 5% with IUI but 40% with IVF that we wouldn't spend more than a couple of cycles on IUI's. I over stimed with my injectable iui cycle and had to take a cycle off from meds...after that we decided to do IVF in the Oct of 2012.

This was a plan that both DH and I could live with and was discussed before we even did IUI. So we knew going into it what our limits where. I think having that really helped. It was heartbreaking that the IUI didn't work but we both new we couldn't spend more money on that when we needed to be saving for IVF. Well Oct 2012 came and went - we still weren't ready and then my clinic was closed uNov/Dec/Jan for IVF cycles. We are in the process now of preparing for IVF. I am on BCP now and in a few weeks it will all go down!

So no matter what you and DH decide - you have to decide together and make sure you are on the same page. Love eachother better and harder than ever. This whole thing is not for the weak and you guys have to take care of eachother.
Decide what your limits are. Decide how much you want to spend on IUI's and stick to it. If that time comes then you both will be ready to move to IVF if needed.

Melissa suggested Lapo. Your insurance will probably pay for it because it is diagnostic. We elected not to do it for a couple of reasons. I have no symptoms of any kind of endo (besides infertility) and I am a complete wimp. If IVF doesn't work for us I may elect to have lapo after and then just try naturally until we can't try any longer.

Feel free to hang out with us and ask as many questions as you want. These girls here are very well informed and it sure helps not to feel so alone in this process. Us women want to talk about this junk all the time, but DH just don't.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
February 12th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
You have gotten some beautiful advice so I just wanted to offer a welcome and a GL to you!!
TTC#3 since Summer 2011
10 IUIs= one confirmed and lots of BFN
9/13/13 IVF#1 ( One 5AA blast)= BFN
11/18/13 FET (Two 5AA blasts)=
2/26/14 FET (Two 5BA blasts)= BFP!!!
Beta HCG 14 DPO: 181 / 17 DPO: 870 / 24 DPO: 16,051
3/24/14= We have a heartbeat and ONE sticky bean!
My blog

Check out Leah's cute newborn Hats and Baby Items!

February 13th, 2013, 05:47 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
For the lap you go under general anesthesia. My RE was looking for endometriosis or anything else he could see that could cause fertility issues. I had one tiny incision in my belly button, and another down by my bikini line. I think the whole thing took about 90 minutes.

Here is another thread about the surgery/recovery: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f7...aproscopy.html (?? laproscopy)

Melissa & DH

February 13th, 2013, 07:20 AM
onlybygrace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome!

I'm really sorry that you and your DH have been through so much on this journey.

It's great that your RE and other medical team are behind you, and supporting whatever decision you make.

To answer your question, I'd certainly consider moving on to IVF at this point since low numbers and morphology can certainly lower your chances of success.

Whatever you decide, you'll always find support and great advice on this board.

Hoping you get your BFP soon!

TTC our 1st since June 2011

6 cycles of Clomid, 2 cycles injectables, 5 IUIs: ALL BFNs

IVF #1: Starting 5th March 2013 - Praying for my 1st ever BFP!

February 13th, 2013, 07:29 AM
*Whiskey*'s Avatar Moving on to adoption
Don't have much to add as the ladies have already given such great advice and information. Just wanted to say hi and welcome!

"Worry is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere"
(easier in theory than practice!)
February 13th, 2013, 08:03 AM
RoMo's Avatar Member
Thanks so much, everyone.

Waiting on a call back from the RE now. Not quite sure what I am going to say, but these conversations have helped me re-focus. DH and I really need to discuss IVF. I don't want to have another failed IUI. Of course I know that IVF can fail too, but I feel like we keep trying the same thing and hoping for a better result that we aren't getting. And that seems silly for us at this point.

Last edited by RoMo; February 13th, 2013 at 08:08 AM.
February 13th, 2013, 08:24 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Good luck with the RE! There is some peace that comes with deciding to go for IVF...I was SO excited to start our IVF journey because I knew we were giving ourselves the absolute best chance for success. There would be no "well, if only we had tried ___" because we were doing everything possible! There is also fear that goes with that, but I was excited about the opportunity to kick infertility in the butt

Melissa & DH

February 13th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome!

Not much to add, just wanted to say good luck! We're in the MFI boat too, but have only done one IUI and plan on IVF later in the spring

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search