Dilemma! Specimen collection too early. Affect chances of conceiving?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lucy S.
  • 3 Post By muffin

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2013, 01:01 PM
stilltrying09
DH is going to be offered a job with the hours of 6am - 3pm. My past IUI's have been scheduled in the mornings around 10am with DH having to produce specimen at 6:30am/7am for me to get to RSC for washing by 7am.

If he takes this job, how is this going to work?? I'm freaking out!

I emailed my RE and she said he can collect earlier for drop off at 6:30am. Not optimal, but it will work. I replied with he would have to be out of the house no later than 5:30am which means he'd have to produce around 5am. I don't think the RSC is even open that early and I thought the specimen has to be dropped off within 30 minutes of collecting. My RE said that is ideal, but we can still do the IUI and do timed intercourse.

What keeps going thru my head is that THIS IS ALL "NOT" OPTIMAL!!

I'm starting to feel that it's not in God's plan for me to have another baby because there seems to be so many barriers that I have to get through.

Anyone have/had this same problem and have a successful conception?

I almost want to tell DH not to accept the job.
February 14th, 2013, 01:29 PM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
I'm sorry things are not seeming to go right...but can you do your IUI at night possibly? Does your clinic do them after 3? Would that work for your schedule? I know they need the sample 30 mins old before they processed it(at least my clinic did) and then they would process it for almost an hour. Maybe if they know you are coming in that early (or he is) someone will be there to take the sample?

I'm sure it can all be worked out. If he takes the job, can he let them know he has some previous obligations in the am and if he can maybe come in late a few times?
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

February 14th, 2013, 01:45 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Why do they need the sample so soon after it has been collected?

For my IUIs, we would collect the sample about 6 so I could leave the house by 6:15 and be at the RE's by 8. My RE said this would be fine, and DH's numbers were always excellent.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 14th, 2013, 03:04 PM
stilltrying09
I go to Kaiser and I'm not sure if my RE can do a late insemination. I just called both RSC's to see what's the earliest drop off time at each location. One location is 6:30am and the other is 7am. That means I wouldn't be able to get the collection to the RSC within 30 minutes.

I hate to have DH have to tell his new job that once a month he has to come in a little later. I mean I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

My past 3 IUI's, I've taken my trigger shot on a Monday at 10pm with IUI appt at 10am on Wed. DH has collected between 6:30/7am on Wed with drop off appt to RSC at 7:30am. Pick up wash at 9/9:30 and then off to be inseminated.

I really don't know what can be done to accommodate the collection to optimize a chance of pregnancy :-(
February 14th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
I don't think it could hurt to ask his job either.
I had Kaiser and it was like a factory where you had to do IUIs between a certain time. But you should ask them for a later IUI. 36 hours after trigger is best from what I have read anyway.
Sorry you have to go through all this stress! Why can't we just get drunk and then get knocked up like everyone else?! < sorry, I'm in a mood today
stilltrying09 likes this.
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

February 15th, 2013, 05:17 AM
onlybygrace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry about this stress!

Fx that it all works out.

TTC our 1st since June 2011

6 cycles of Clomid, 2 cycles injectables, 5 IUIs: ALL BFNs

IVF #1: Starting 5th March 2013 - Praying for my 1st ever BFP!

February 15th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
(If my meds finally works this time and I even get to do the IUI) my DH will be out of town for my IUI. He is going in Monday to give his sample and they are freezing it. Obviously fresh is better than frozen but maybe this can be an option for you?? He can go in whenever it is convenient for him to give his sample, they freeze it, and then they can thaw it and have it ready whatever time you are.

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
February 15th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz253 View Post
(If my meds finally works this time and I even get to do the IUI) my DH will be out of town for my IUI. He is going in Monday to give his sample and they are freezing it. Obviously fresh is better than frozen but maybe this can be an option for you?? He can go in whenever it is convenient for him to give his sample, they freeze it, and then they can thaw it and have it ready whatever time you are.
I was thinking this too. Of course, there's no reason why his new job should deny him coming in late for a "doctors appointment"?
Lindz253, stilltrying09 and *Leah* like this.

Me: Autoimmune (Hashimotos and Fibromyalgia), vitamin D and calcium deficiency. Treated with Synthroid, supplements, TCM and acupuncture.

DH: Severe MFI (low counts, low motility, poor morphology and high antibodies), likely caused by poor liver function. Treated with Clomid to increase total counts.

DD: Conceived after 1 year of TTC with progesterone to correct LPD (likely caused by undiagnosed thyroid dysfunction). Born Aug 2009 via c/s after an induction due to pre-e and HELLP.

TTC #2 since Oct10 with an early loss in Aug 2011. Post-wash counts are too low for IUI to be successful, so moving on to IVF/ICSI in May 2014!

IVF/ICSI #1 (May 2014): Estrogen priming and antagonist protocol, including acupuncture and prayer!
17/05/14 - Baseline looks good, start Gonal-F 225iu and Luveris 75iu
28/05/14 - 18 eggs retrieved, 14 mature
29/05/14 - 13 fertilized!!! All are looking great still on day 3, so we're going to blast!
02/06/14 - Transferred one 1BC blast, with 3 other blasts and 3 morulas to watch and freeze
03/06/14 - All embryos have arrested. None to freeze
09/06/14 - Faint BFP at home at 7dp5dt!!!!!
10/06/14 - Beta?
February 15th, 2013, 07:08 PM
stilltrying09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy S. View Post
I don't think it could hurt to ask his job either.
I had Kaiser and it was like a factory where you had to do IUIs between a certain time. But you should ask them for a later IUI. 36 hours after trigger is best from what I have read anyway.
Sorry you have to go through all this stress! Why can't we just get drunk and then get knocked up like everyone else?! < sorry, I'm in a mood today
I did ask my RE how we get around this and it sounds like she's going to keep me on the same routine we've been on...early in the morning collection with IUI and timed intercourse. UGH!

I could go for a stiff drink right now! As if things couldn't get more stressful.

DH and I have been talking and he may not even take the job offer, but in the case that he does...we HAVE to be prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz253 View Post
Hmmm...never thought of that! I will definately ask my RE if that's an option. Maybe he can collect the night before, have it froze, and I collect the next morning which would be my IUI day.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Best of luck to you as well ;-)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search