For past and present IVF peeps (UPATED with Decision)

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree24Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2013, 07:40 PM
melissaleigh's Avatar Unashamed POASer
How many eggs will you or did you put back in? I'm really struggling with this decision and since my transfer is only 5 days away I better hop to it and make a decision. I have a four year old daughter and I would really just like one more. I know my chances are higher by putting in two eggs and I would be happy with one or two but I REALLY just want one more. If you have already had IVF how many eggs did you put in and how many babies did you get? If you are planning IVF how many eggs are you putting in?

Last edited by melissaleigh; February 19th, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
February 15th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We actually did 3. It was all we had left after 3 days and 2 of those were acceptable and the third was essentially just going to die in the lab so why not at least transfer for a fighting chance

There wasn't any point in transferring one good one and freezing the other good one, so the decision was kinda just made for us to transfer them all and see what happened
*Leah* likes this.

February 15th, 2013, 09:20 PM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
We had 3 embryos on day 3. our clinic only allows you to tx 2, unless you have a previous failed cycle. One of our embryos was 8 celled and perfect (see my daughter!!) the other was a fragmented 7, that was a black empty sac at first u/s. The other 7 cell frag didn't make it to freeze. I have a friend that txfered 2 and has twins. I have other friends that txfered 2 and no pregnancy. But I think it can depend on the quality, sometimes. I, too am scared to have twins. I think if I had them first....I'd be ok. But I have M to think of too.

But I want another baby, so if blessed w 2 more, all the more to love. I do think, after going through all the shots and retrieval etc...give yourself a good chance and txfer 2.

Was I any help at all??? lol!
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

February 16th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwaiting View Post
We had 3 embryos on day 3. our clinic only allows you to tx 2, unless you have a previous failed cycle. One of our embryos was 8 celled and perfect (see my daughter!!) the other was a fragmented 7, that was a black empty sac at first u/s. The other 7 cell frag didn't make it to freeze. I have a friend that txfered 2 and has twins. I have other friends that txfered 2 and no pregnancy. But I think it can depend on the quality, sometimes. I, too am scared to have twins. I think if I had them first....I'd be ok. But I have M to think of too.

But I want another baby, so if blessed w 2 more, all the more to love. I do think, after going through all the shots and retrieval etc...give yourself a good chance and txfer 2.

Was I any help at all??? lol!
This is EXACTLY my thought process! After everything I've been through and donet get to this point I feel like I should do two I even joke sometimes and say for as much as we've paid for IVF I want 2 babies out of it And up untl this week my decision has been two but then I think about my four year old daughter. She recently got a new step dad and while she is really excited to have a baby brother or sister I feel like twins might just be a tad much for her with all the other changes she has already gone through in the last year.
I have an appointment with my RE Monday to discuss it one more time. We shall see
February 16th, 2013, 10:44 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
You should do 2. Freezing and thawing snowbabies has it's risks and might not
make it for a FET. Do 2

I am old and needed to get my babies now. So I'll be transferring 2 or 3 if we have that many. This is expensive so If I can get two for price of one that would be amazing. We will then donate our snowbabies to someone else in need.
*Leah* and melissaleigh like this.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
February 16th, 2013, 11:48 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Before our fresh cycle DH and I were planning to transfer 1 at a time. We didn't feel comfortable with twins and the risks that came with them, and we felt like at our age we had a great chance of getting pregnant with just one.

All of those logical, calm thoughts went out the window when we got into our cycle. The fear of failure was too overwhelming, and since we were paying out-of-pocket, we really needed it to work. Emotionally, we didn't know how much more failure we could handle. Out of that cycle came a singleton pregnancy (she's now 2.5).

For our FET we decided to transfer two again. Part of the decision was financial...we couldn't keep paying for FETs, especially since I have to travel 1/2way across the country to do them. We only got one baby the first time, so we were scared of transferring one and it failing. My RE recommended two, and that sealed the deal. Our twins will be 6 months on Thursday.

I don't regret our decisions at all. Even though with the twins I was on bedrest for 1/2 the pregnancy and lived in the NICU with them for 4 weeks, they were worth every minute of stress and fear. Claire (our oldest) had some rough moments adjusting to her new siblings, but it was much easier than I thought it would be, and they are going to be such great playmates and friends later in life.

Only you and DH know what is best for your family...it is a tough decision. Good luck!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

February 16th, 2013, 08:03 PM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Melissa*
I was 26, only problem being PCOS.

Transferred 2, got twins 8 months in a few weeks.

We froze the other two. We plan to do one at a time for our FET... But we will see...
February 17th, 2013, 08:12 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
I would only transfer exactly what you want. I had only three embies that grew to 8 cell stage, and one of those "didn't look like it was growing very well". I was 39, and recommend # to transfer at my age then was 3 embryos. So we transferred all three.

All three implanted. Then, one split. Apparently, this is fairly common with IVF. I had quadruplets on board! At age 39, after four miscarriages, 4 years of infertility & told by numerous experts I had less than a 1% chance of ever having a baby.

If you don't want more than one, don't implant more than one. You can always transfer again. For whatever reason, freezing doesn't negatively affect implantation - it actually increases odds of implantation! (According to a study in the NEJM) So it doesn't hurt to try implanting your embies one at a time. My vote is for one if one is what you want!
melissaleigh likes this.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

February 18th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Thanks Lisa B - I have a doctors appointment today to talk to my doctor about all the option so today is the big decision day. Were you in the August 08 due date club? I think remember you from there. I have a 4 year old daughter born in August 08
February 18th, 2013, 09:19 AM
LisaB - you just scared us all to death! Definitely something to think about.

Your kids are cutie pies!
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN

Last edited by kayakr; February 18th, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
February 18th, 2013, 09:30 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
My RE did say that as well...for some reason frozen embryos seem to split more often. He had a lady who transferred 2 the first time and had twins, so for her second transfer she only transferred one. Ha ha...it split and she had twins again
*Leah* likes this.

Melissa & DH

February 18th, 2013, 02:08 PM
LindseyandJoeinAL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first IVF I transferred two and neither took. My second cycle I transferred two again and the result is my one daughter below. I had two FETs where I transferred one each time (I was terrified of having twins at this point) and neither cycle worked. We're talking about another round of IVF soon and I have no clue how many we'll transfer. I'm leaning towards two though. Good luck, this is NO EASY decision!
TTC baby #2

lap surgery Apr 2010 stage 2 endo removed
IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
Wonderful, sweet daughter Khloe born August 2011
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
2nd lap surgery Dec 2012 stage 1 endo removed
IUI Apr 2013 cancelled due to producing 10 mature follicles
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN
IVF #4 Nov 2013 BFP! on 8dp3dt
Expecting boy/girl twins 8/1/14

February 19th, 2013, 04:08 AM
onlybygrace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're facing the same challenging question!

TTC our 1st since June 2011

6 cycles of Clomid, 2 cycles injectables, 5 IUIs: ALL BFNs

IVF #1: Starting 5th March 2013 - Praying for my 1st ever BFP!

Last edited by onlybygrace; February 20th, 2013 at 07:53 AM.
February 19th, 2013, 09:42 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
Did you decide what to do?
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

February 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM
So I saw the doctor yesterday and made my decision on how many embryo(s) to put in. I really like the way my RE took the time to listen and talk this through. I told him I was struggling with the decision of 1 or 2 for Thursday. He first gave me my odds based on how my body has responded so far to treatment - my embryos - my age and several other factors. He said is confident saying that if I put 1 embryo in I have a 75% chance of getting pregnant and delivering - If I put 2 in I have 85% chance of getting pregnant and 1/3 chance of getting pregnant with twins. Then then asked - What would be more devastating? A negative pregnancy test or twins - I said a negative pregnancy test. He said then put two - I then started crying like a baby. He asked what was holding me back and I explained to him it was my 4 year old daughter. She got a new step dad last year and that was a big adjustment for her - while she is super excited about a baby brother or sister I feel that TWO baby brothers or sisters would just be too much on her. I don't want her to be overwhelmed - she is also going to start school shortly before the babie(s) will be born and I just feel like that is a lot for a little girl. I'm blabbing all this to him while crying and he keeps passing me Kleenex and just listening - such a good doc He said you are a good mommy and based on what you said I would just put one. I asked him if him and his wife were going through IVF today and he had to make the decision how many would he put in and he said one - SOOOOO One it is I made the decision and signed the forms and I'm happy with my decision. Not to think negatively about it but for any reason if it doesn't work this time I have 5 more snow babies to try with. Sorry it's was so long - Thanks for reading
*Leah*, MandyEllen and Katie L like this.
February 19th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Im glad you have such a great doctor who listens and that you feel good with your decision! I really hope it works for you this time!!!
melissaleigh likes this.

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
February 19th, 2013, 11:40 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'm glad you have a decision that you are comfortable with...and you have a 75% chance of getting pregnant I'll be crossing everything for you this week!
melissaleigh likes this.

Melissa & DH

February 19th, 2013, 11:49 AM
1 it is! You've made the perfect decision for you and your family. Now don't look back!
melissaleigh likes this.
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
February 19th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Super Mommy
SO GLAD you made a decision that feels right in your heart!!! SO EXCITING!!!!!! Praying you get your BFP sweetie!!!!!!! GL!!!!!
melissaleigh likes this.
TTC#1 for 1 1/2 years~ DS, DJ (3) Conceived naturally using acupuncture and herbs
TTC #2 for 1 1/2 yrs~DH(3 mths on Clomid&Olive Leaf Extract)
Our 1st Clomid & TI cycle August 2013 -BFP on 9/08/13!!!!!!!!

February 19th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
What an awesome RE!!!
Good luck to you!!!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search