Hsg experience

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By *Leah*
  • 2 Post By Raunchero
  • 1 Post By BabyBirdies

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2013, 08:24 AM
zonee@gmail.com's Avatar Veteran
Hey ladies,

Going in for an hsg after having ob needing to change dx from infertiliy to checking to rule out block tubes so insurance could cover it and since that is what she said she was ordeing it for. Just wondering what your experience is with the test? I read to take motrin one hour before.

Thanks
February 22nd, 2013, 09:55 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way!
I did take motrin before, It wasn't bad at all for me, I had no cramping etc...It was relatively quickly, was fine after, just a little tiny cramping during the day. I went to work after. However, a friend of mine had a lot of pain and cramping during the procedure. My Dr. quoted me a certain price, but it was almost double what I had to pay, when the hospital fees, her fees and the technician fees were all said and done. None of it was covered through my insurance. I hope yours is.

Good news is that it sort of (as my dr said) "clears out the cobwebs" and you have an increased chance for conception the 3 months following an HSG.

One thing I'll warn you about (TMI) is that (me and a friend, both had this). Wear a pad they give you the day of it, because the dye will come out that day....and what doesn't come out, can sort of almost turn glue-like, and I had what you might call "wadded up toilet paper" looking stuff coming out a week after. It's perfectly normal, but it's weird!

Best of luck to you and I hope yours is pain-free.
zonee@gmail.com likes this.
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

February 22nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
Raunchero's Avatar Happy as a Clam :)
I hope everything goes well.

when i had mine i had a lot of cramping during but was fine after. And as far as the dye leaking... wear the pad.

Make sure you breath during it.
*Leah* and zonee@gmail.com like this.

February 22nd, 2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks ladies!!! The insurance guy said depends on the actual diagnosis code but not sure they actually wrote that on the script. My mom seems to think the radiologist people will be the ones to do that after asking why doc ordered it. I called the hospital and the estimate is 897 not including the person that reads it : ( So scary and frustrating but i pick the script up on monday and we shall see.

Also, defiantly thanks for explaining how it comes out lol. I, along with my husband were wondering how the dye get out/goes away. Needless to say was not prepared for that lol but thank you because i am sure i would have freaked out! Feeling better about it all.
February 22nd, 2013, 01:25 PM
BabyBirdies's Avatar over the rainbow?
I just had one two weeks ago, and I would second what the other ladies said about the procedure. I had a little discomfort during (mostly from the speculum) and then the dye leaking out during the day.

I also appreciated that I got a preliminary result (I have a blocked tube) at the time, and then the full report from my Dr later
zonee@gmail.com likes this.

Read about Our Journey
Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
My fertility blog: Only Infertile

NTNP since March 2012, TTC since August 2012, HSG = one blocked tube, SA = normal, 1st RE 7/11 - took a zillion tests, 2nd RE appt = Tubal issue with PCOS tendencies, possible polyp, August 2013 - possible polyp, September 2013 - new job, insurance change! January 2014 - new insurance, March 2014 - new RE appointment, then surprise BFP!

February 23rd, 2013, 08:19 AM
That is good to know that you got a prelim result. I have an re appointment march 11 so hopefully will follow up with her since my ob is on maternity leave (again) and not sure who is covering. Thanks!
February 27th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Regular
I had one this summer, and the cramping for me was on the high side, both during the procedure and residual cramping up to a few days after. I took an 800mg ibuprophen before and it didn't touch the pain I was in. I've tried to find the words to describe it, but there just aren't any.

My RE performed the procedure, and there was a radiologist there to read the results (blocked tubes) immediately; I also had 2 nurses as well. Some people have said that my cramping was so bad because my tubes were blocked, which is possible.

That being said... good luck!
February 28th, 2013, 01:24 PM
J and K's Avatar Kim
I had mine done in November, it wasn't bad at all for me. I had the rest of the day off after and went home and rested, I did have some cramping. My tubes were not blocked and the Dr that did it had me watch on the monitor while he injected the dye so that I could see.

Good Luck!
Unexplained Infertility
TTC since January 2011
Clomid February 2012- May 2012
Laproscopy and Hysteroscopy Jan 2013 (didn't find anything)
IVF Feb/March 2013 25 eggs retireved, ICSI 18 fertilized, 3 transferred on day 3, 4 frozen...

Beta #1 48.2 14dp3dt
Beta #2 457 18dp3dt

Paige Addison born 11/12/13

February 28th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Good luck. I haven't had one but I had a saline sono (same set up but saline instead of the dye). They had some trouble getting into my uterus which was def uncomfortable. But the cramping was minimal. I took 650mg of Tylenol before. Keep us posted on your experience.
March 2nd, 2013, 03:53 PM
I actually cancelled my appointment. I have an re appointment march 11 and figured she would be better to order tests. I found out that my current OB will not be returning from maternity leave since she has 3kids under 3. And I didn't want to risk not getting results, it being coded wrong or if re will do the saline test or less invasive tests to start with. Thanks for all the advice ladies.

Last edited by zonee@gmail.com; March 2nd, 2013 at 03:57 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search