cost of injectables

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By ChicaChels

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2013, 06:11 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the nurse mentioned because i didn't respond the best to clomid that the RE would probably want to do 2-3 days of injectables in addition to clomid next time...how much do they cost? what are the ones most commonly used? Are the SubQ injections like trigger? or are they IM?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 25th, 2013, 02:10 AM
onlybygrace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The injections for stimming are normally subcutaneous, and the best ones (in my opinion) come in the "pen" style...so it makes preparation and injecting much easier.

I have NO idea about the cost in the US...but I do know that they are typically much more expensive than Clomid.

I really hope this next cycle brings you your BFP!

TTC our 1st since June 2011

6 cycles of Clomid, 2 cycles injectables, 5 IUIs: ALL BFNs

IVF #1: Starting 5th March 2013 - Praying for my 1st ever BFP!

February 25th, 2013, 06:25 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
how much do they cost? This was 3 years ago, but I was quoted $2,000- $3,000 per cycle, depending on how much medication I needed. The cost is also higher because you will likely need more monitoring/bloodwork with injects

what are the ones most commonly used? Follistim, Bravelle, Menopur...there are several depending on what your RE thinks your body will respond to. If one doesn't work, you can always try a different one.

Are the SubQ injections like trigger? or are they IM? Sub-Q...easy peasy
*Leah* likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 25th, 2013, 06:44 AM
oh dang we can't afford $2000 right now. our dog needs back surgery that is going to cost about $3500 and we don't have much in savings these days because we're finishing our basement. le sigh.

They want to do injectibles in conjunction with clomid, they said 2 days of it i think? i dont know..im going to call the RE's office here in a few min...FMU was negative hpt, so im guessing the spotting is just my period trying to start while im on prometrium.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
February 25th, 2013, 07:03 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'd definitely call! If they are only going to do a low dose for a couple of days, it might be a lot less. Good luck!

Melissa & DH

February 25th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We used Letrozole/Femara and Gonal-F. We only needed one auto-injector pen of Gonal-F, which cost $450 (which thankfully is covered 80% by insurance!). It had enough for a week at the lowest dose in it (50iu). We also needed 3 shots of Ganirelix however, since my body was trying to ovulate before my lining and follie(s) were ready (we only ended up with one in the end). Those were $110/injection (before insurance).

Here's a link to Freedom Fertility's online prices: Medications and Pricing :: Fertility Medications :: Freedom Fertility Pharmacy

I've never used them, but I've heard really good things!

Me: Autoimmune (Hashimotos and Fibromyalgia), vitamin D and calcium deficiency. Treated with Synthroid, supplements, TCM and acupuncture.

DH: Severe MFI (low counts, low motility, poor morphology and high antibodies), likely caused by poor liver function. Treated with Clomid to increase total counts.

DD: Conceived after 1 year of TTC with progesterone to correct LPD (likely caused by undiagnosed thyroid dysfunction). Born Aug 2009 via c/s after an induction due to pre-e and HELLP.

TTC #2 since Oct10 with an early loss in Aug 2011. Post-wash counts are too low for IUI to be successful, so moving on to IVF/ICSI in May 2014!

IVF/ICSI #1 (May 2014): Estrogen priming and antagonist protocol, including acupuncture and prayer!
17/05/14 - Baseline looks good, start Gonal-F 225iu and Luveris 75iu
28/05/14 - 18 eggs retrieved, 14 mature
29/05/14 - 13 fertilized!!! All are looking great still on day 3, so we're going to blast!
02/06/14 - Transferred one 1BC blast, with 3 other blasts and 3 morulas to watch and freeze
03/06/14 - All embryos have arrested. None to freeze
09/06/14 - Faint BFP at home at 7dp5dt!!!!!
10/06/14 - Beta?
February 25th, 2013, 08:14 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I used Freedom Fertility for my FET...they are awesome!!

Melissa & DH

February 25th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Regular
We used metro drugs, have no insurance for feritlity meds and paid $275 for each 300 unit follistim pen which actually contains an entire 400 dose, but we ended up having to buy one more 300 unit because I needed one more 100 dose out of that, so basically it still has 300 units in it. so that was another $275. Then, the Ovidril trigger was $75 so thats $625 right there but that doesn't include office visits or the $10 clomid. We had one visit on day 3 to make sure no follicles were growing so of course we had a scan. Then a scan on day 11, and then another visit for the IUI plus husbands sperm etc, so with all visits, meds etc it was about $1500 ish, give or take 100 bucks, not sure why but my husbands semen prep for iui has been costing less each time.

February 25th, 2013, 09:09 AM
I guess I need to call and find out exactly what they would want to use. We can afford a few hundred bucks, especially since I think we're going to forego the actual IUI this time since sperm count is not a problem

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
February 25th, 2013, 11:27 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I think my RE indicated a normal (5-8 days of injections) cycle of injectables runs normally around $2-3K...but if your Dr only wants you to take a couple days of injections it could be less. I got very lucky that mine was almost entirely covered by my insurance (i paid $80 each cycle total)....Follistim was an easy pen type SC injection. Menopur I had to mix myself, so was way more complicated than the preloaded injections, but also an easy SC shot.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
February 25th, 2013, 12:31 PM
onlybygrace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
[QUOTE=ChicaChels;27131924]oh dang we can't afford $2000 right now. our dog needs back surgery that is going to cost about $3500 and we don't have much in savings these days because we're finishing our basement. le sigh.

QUOTE]

Awww...Just wanted to add that I hope your dog's surgery goes well!

TTC our 1st since June 2011

6 cycles of Clomid, 2 cycles injectables, 5 IUIs: ALL BFNs

IVF #1: Starting 5th March 2013 - Praying for my 1st ever BFP!

February 25th, 2013, 02:36 PM
nikki52687's Avatar Super Mommy
I just did follistim. I ended up needing two 300 iu cartridges (with pen) and it was $828. My insurance surprisingly covered it though and I only had to pay $50. Good thing because I needed another 600 iu. I asked my RE what he would put me on and then I called my insurance company and asked what it would cost. Also, i have seen alot of stories of one med not being covered, but a different name brand or slightly different med might be covered. So, maybe you could ask for a list of the possible meds and you could run them all by your healthcare company. Good luck!
Our TTC journey: I went off the pill April 10, 2010. I have had irregular cycles ever since. We have tried everything from soy isoflavones, fertili tea, fertil aid for both, sperm count and motility boost for DH, femera, relaxing, giving up...no luck. SA 06/2011-5mil, 05/2012-no live sperm, 07/2012-17mil!! HSG 7/25/12, all clear. Next cycle, Femara 3-7, scan cd 11, 5 follies 17, 12, 12, 11, 10, trigger cd 12, IUI (8/30/12) cd14: BFN, AF showed 9/13/12 -On to cycle 2 with medication and IUI. 9/28 quit groqing, cycle cancelled. 2/6/13 follistim cd 3-12, follies 19, 18, 17, 12, count 1.7 mil, BFN. Skipping this cycle.

http://nikki52687.blogspot.com/ Donate to our IVF fund here: http://www.gofundme.com/210zuw
February 27th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Regular
chica: if you were on clomid and choose to forgo the IUI, make sure you have cervical mucus and a good lining. the cervical mucus gets dried up from previous cycles of clomid and the sperm won't be able to get to the tubes anyway, sometimes its better to spend the extra 150 or however much yours is to not have wasted money on u/s's, visits, and especially the expensive injectables. my husband has great sperm but i woul dhave been so mad if the sperm didn't make it because i had no cervical mucus. just a thought, yours may be fine.

February 27th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cspard2 View Post
chica: if you were on clomid and choose to forgo the IUI, make sure you have cervical mucus and a good lining. the cervical mucus gets dried up from previous cycles of clomid and the sperm won't be able to get to the tubes anyway, sometimes its better to spend the extra 150 or however much yours is to not have wasted money on u/s's, visits, and especially the expensive injectables. my husband has great sperm but i woul dhave been so mad if the sperm didn't make it because i had no cervical mucus. just a thought, yours may be fine.
im not doing clomid again, but i still have CM with clomid - not copious amounts, but i definitely still get it.
cspard2 likes this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search