what would you do

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mommy2Maddox
  • 1 Post By muffin

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 09:15 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since I didn't respond to the clomid as well as my RE wanted last time, they brought up injectibles. I asked about trying femara instead, first, and the nurse we can, but there's no promise I would respond any better to that than I did clomid (though online I've read a lot of time women with PCOS respond to femara really well? PCOS is my cause of infertility)

So, my question is...would you do the clomid with 1-2 days of injectibles?
Femara?

Also, as far as insemination - hubbs wants to skip the actual IUI and do timed intercourse. Sperm count/motility/morphology isn't a problem, so it does seem kind of wasteful to do it, since IUI doesn't necessarily increase the chance of conception (I think i read it's around 20%, just like good old fashioned baby making)...the actual IUI itself is a little over $500 with the prepping/washing/procedure

Thoughts? Advice? Experiences?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 25th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess I would just try the Femara for one cycle at a higher dose. 5mg didn't work for me so maybe see if they would do 7.5 for you since you said clomid wasn't working great for you. See what its like for one cycle and if it isn't good again then go to injectables....but that is just would I would try.

Are you going to try again this cycle or sit it out since you didn't want a December baby? If my IUI didn't work this cycle we will be sitting one out. My oldest was born in December and I think it would be unfair to the kids to have two December babies and Christmas.

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
February 25th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
I tried clomid for 6 months and all it did was give me huge cysts. I never even ovulated on it. Then, I went to a WONDERFUL RE and we did Femara CD 3-7 and then u/s to see how the follicle was growing.. once it was big enough they gave me a trigger shot, DH and I have timed intercourse and bam I was preggo! 1st month with that RE. I responded to femara perfectly. I would give it a chance first I also never O'd on my own... do you get trigger shots?
*Leah* likes this.

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

February 25th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, this is only your second time with Clomid (I think?), so I'd either give it another shot, or try Letrozole/Femara (either at the same dosage or at a higher dosage) before moving on to injectables. You did get one good follicle with the Clomid (even if it happenend a few days later than you had hoped) and Sam had an excellent count for the IUI.

Injectables carry the increased risk of multiples because REs generally use them to create more "targets" for the sperm. Considering your stance on natural birth (and hopes for a homebirth this time still possibly?) I would take that into consideration along with all the regular risks of carrying multiples.

In addition, there is alot more monitoring required with injectables, which if not covered by insurance can really add up (I had 8 monitoring appointments, plus the IUI itself).

As for skipping the IUI, I wouldn't. Only because you're spending so much money on meds and monitoring that it would seem a waste to me. Even if there is only a small increase in your chances, why not take it? Most REs will reccomend 3 tries with each protocol, since the probability of pregnancy goes down with each try too.

Now, I'm not trying to dissuade you from using injectables, just giving you a couple things to think about
KMH likes this.

Me: Autoimmune (Hashimotos and Fibromyalgia), vitamin D and calcium deficiency. Treated with Synthroid, supplements, TCM and acupuncture.

DH: Severe MFI (low counts, low motility, poor morphology and high antibodies), likely caused by poor liver function. Treated with Clomid to increase total counts.

DD: Conceived after 1 year of TTC with progesterone to correct LPD (likely caused by undiagnosed thyroid dysfunction). Born Aug 2009 via c/s after an induction due to pre-e and HELLP.

TTC #2 since Oct10 with an early loss in Aug 2011. Post-wash counts are too low for IUI to be successful, so moving on to IVF/ICSI in May 2014!

IVF/ICSI #1 (May 2014): Estrogen priming and antagonist protocol, including acupuncture and prayer!
17/05/14 - Baseline looks good, start Gonal-F 225iu and Luveris 75iu
28/05/14 - 18 eggs retrieved, 14 mature
29/05/14 - 13 fertilized!!! All are looking great still on day 3, so we're going to blast!
02/06/14 - Transferred one 1BC blast, with 3 other blasts and 3 morulas to watch and freeze
03/06/14 - All embryos have arrested. None to freeze
09/06/14 - Faint BFP at home at 7dp5dt!!!!!
10/06/14 - Beta?
February 25th, 2013, 12:26 PM
onlybygrace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never tried Femara, but Clomid never worked for me.
I'd certainly give it a try at a higer dose.

And if your DH has no problems as per SA, you could absolutely skip the IUI and do timed intercourse instead.

Good luck!

TTC our 1st since June 2011

6 cycles of Clomid, 2 cycles injectables, 5 IUIs: ALL BFNs

IVF #1: Starting 5th March 2013 - Praying for my 1st ever BFP!

February 25th, 2013, 05:39 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I personally feel like I wasted too much time with Clomid. I did 3 cycles and it did nothing for me except...TMI... really dry me up, which I am sure is what killed our chances of conception. If that happens to you, the IUI bypasses the need for good CM I believe...so in that case it'd probably be good to continue.

On the Femara, I've only done one cycle, 5mg...and did not have the CM issues with Clomid. Unfortunately, i think this cycle is going to be a bust, but I think that's more to do with DH's poorly timed illness which interfered with our "trying".

You did soy a few times before the Clomid right? Did you ever find out if that reduces the effectiveness of Clomid? I'd personally rather try Femara and TI than Clomid and IUI again. Then if Femara was a bust, consider throwing in injectables.

February 26th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Muffin, multiples is a huge concern I have. I do not want 6 babies at once. Or even 3, honestly! The re said the few days of injectibles would just help the follies grow that Clovis had already started, since I grew 4 last time but only one matured.

The re said soy should have no impact on what happened, since I took the soy back in October.

Lindsay, my due date would be roughly december 4, and usually snow doesn't get bad until closer to Christmas, SOS even if I went 2 weeks over we should still be okay to get in or out

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
February 26th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My RE tried to mature my second follie by upping my dosage, but it didn't work unfortunately. (I had a 17mm and an 11mm when she upped my dose. The second stayed at 11mm right up until trigger. Bugger!) I'm pretty sure that it's worked for other people, otherwise she wouldn't have suggested it, but that was *my* personal experience with it. Apparently I'm not one of those people who develop a bunch of follicles on it?

You can always cancel too (which sucks in other ways) if you have more follicles than you're comfortable with as well.

Me: Autoimmune (Hashimotos and Fibromyalgia), vitamin D and calcium deficiency. Treated with Synthroid, supplements, TCM and acupuncture.

DH: Severe MFI (low counts, low motility, poor morphology and high antibodies), likely caused by poor liver function. Treated with Clomid to increase total counts.

DD: Conceived after 1 year of TTC with progesterone to correct LPD (likely caused by undiagnosed thyroid dysfunction). Born Aug 2009 via c/s after an induction due to pre-e and HELLP.

TTC #2 since Oct10 with an early loss in Aug 2011. Post-wash counts are too low for IUI to be successful, so moving on to IVF/ICSI in May 2014!

IVF/ICSI #1 (May 2014): Estrogen priming and antagonist protocol, including acupuncture and prayer!
17/05/14 - Baseline looks good, start Gonal-F 225iu and Luveris 75iu
28/05/14 - 18 eggs retrieved, 14 mature
29/05/14 - 13 fertilized!!! All are looking great still on day 3, so we're going to blast!
02/06/14 - Transferred one 1BC blast, with 3 other blasts and 3 morulas to watch and freeze
03/06/14 - All embryos have arrested. None to freeze
09/06/14 - Faint BFP at home at 7dp5dt!!!!!
10/06/14 - Beta?
February 26th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
I agree with the ladies above!
I would try a high dose of femara. I am really liking Femara and wished I never even tried clomid this time around.

And I agree, if you do the inj. I would spend the money on an IUI to hopefully do everything to make sure it worked!
I went from clomid to inj. with #2 but we did straight inj.

Good luck!!!!!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

February 27th, 2013, 01:30 PM
We got pregnant on our own with hunter...soy baby...idk I started my period today so I have to call them tomorrow,and I'll talk to them but right now I'm thinking I'll skip the iui

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
February 27th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Here is my medical opinion

Skip the IUI but ask for 7.5 mg of Femara and do timed intercourse. I feel like that will be your magic cocktail

Oh and Im sorry AF started. But at least you are ready to move on to the next cycle instead of waiting in limbo.

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
February 27th, 2013, 06:30 PM
that's what i want to do, too..exactly what i want to do. do you take femara the same CD as clomid?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
February 27th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not sure. I did 3-7

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
February 27th, 2013, 06:55 PM
femara normally is taken the same cds as clomid!

good luck hun!
Due with #3
My blog

February 28th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So far I am really liking Femara more than Clomid. I would definitely give that a try for a cycle before moving on to injectibles.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
February 28th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I got 5mg to start tomorrow (cd3). So we shall see

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
February 28th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Good luck!!!!
Due with #3
My blog

February 28th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck!

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
March 1st, 2013, 07:37 AM
Thank you! I'm on my way to my baseline now

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013