SA Q's pls share thoughts

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2013, 06:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies. I'm new to this section of the forum. After my 2 loss I sought out testing. I'm 33y and SO is 39y- So I thought I'd be proactive since we're no spring chickens. Turns out we have a morphology & forward progression issue. SO has been on vitamins (when he remembers to take them) for ~6 months.

IUI was recommended. I haven't formally met back w/ RE to discuss why (yet).

With the collective knowledge on this board- do these type of issues generally cause probs STAYing preg or just GETting preg?
Has anyone else had IUI recommended for repeat losses?
March 2nd, 2013, 09:13 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
Hi and welcome!

So sorry for your losses
I don't think there is a correlation but I am not sure. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on that.

I think the IUI recommendation has to do with the morphology & motility issue. That's normally whats recommended if it's not too severe. I don't think an IUI would help with losses.

Good luck to you!!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

March 3rd, 2013, 06:44 AM
Cait&AngelAbove's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I am so sorry for your losses! I agree with Lucy and think your RE suggested IUI due to the morphology and motility issues. Good luck!

Thank you so much Bokkechick for the perfect siggie!!!
12-10-10 2-6-12
March 3rd, 2013, 04:32 PM
Veteran
I to agree the IUI will help with the morphology and motility. I am so very sorry for your losses and I wish you the best ttcing!!
Irene Mom to 9 and ttcing #10
Married to my best friend 23 yrs!
5 Girls and 4 Boys

9 First Trimester Angels
Elija 17w Angel
Angel 17w Angel

DS 22(Mar12) DD 20(Jan3) DD 18(July6) DD 11(Oct18) DS 10(May18) DD 8(Jan9)
DS 7(Sept27) DS 5(Sept20) DD 2(June2)
TTCing #10 with unexplained infertility and 1 tube.

My Ovulation Chart
March 3rd, 2013, 04:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. But I'm still a bit confused. TMI warning----with the two losses we spontaneously got preg fast (4m). So why the IUI? Are they thinking the "bad" ones got there first? To give the good ones a "head start"? I thought the bad ones have trouble fertilizing..

I'm frustrated. And can't wait to call RE office tomorrow.
March 3rd, 2013, 04:52 PM
Veteran
I don't know..I have done IUI but for very different reason and will be doing IUI again after next cycle. I am interested in what you find out please keep us posted!
Irene Mom to 9 and ttcing #10
Married to my best friend 23 yrs!
5 Girls and 4 Boys

9 First Trimester Angels
Elija 17w Angel
Angel 17w Angel

DS 22(Mar12) DD 20(Jan3) DD 18(July6) DD 11(Oct18) DS 10(May18) DD 8(Jan9)
DS 7(Sept27) DS 5(Sept20) DD 2(June2)
TTCing #10 with unexplained infertility and 1 tube.

My Ovulation Chart
March 3rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
I don't think it makes sense for the losses... You def. need to ask them what they are doing about the losses and have them explain why.
The only thing I can think is maybe they think washing the sperm will help but I have never heard that to be true. And they would have to be certain it's the sperm issue and not something else. And I would hope they don't do *just* this as a treatment for you.
Have they done a complete workup on you?
Maybe you should ask over at the TTCafter loss forum if you haven't?
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

March 4th, 2013, 05:19 AM
onlybygrace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sperm quality DEFINITELY has an impact on fertilizationa nd early loss (<12 week)

Typically, if sperm has morphology issues there is a high change of DNA fragmentation that will impact early loss.

I'd certainly ask the RE to get your DH a DNA fragmentation test.

TTC our 1st since June 2011

6 cycles of Clomid, 2 cycles injectables, 5 IUIs: ALL BFNs

IVF #1: Starting 5th March 2013 - Praying for my 1st ever BFP!

March 4th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace View Post
Sperm quality DEFINITELY has an impact on fertilizationa nd early loss (<12 week)

Typically, if sperm has morphology issues there is a high change of DNA fragmentation that will impact early loss.

I'd certainly ask the RE to get your DH a DNA fragmentation test.
^^^This^^^ is exactly what I was going to say! An IUI definitely helps to weed out the good from the not-so-good, but the fragmentation isn't necessarily caught with that.

It's not a given that the sperm is the reason for your losses though, so I'd still ask for a RPL panel to be done on yourself as well.

Me: Autoimmune (Hashimotos and Fibromyalgia), vitamin D and calcium deficiency. Treated with Synthroid, supplements, TCM and acupuncture.

DH: Severe MFI (low counts, low motility, poor morphology and high antibodies), likely caused by poor liver function. Treated with Clomid to increase total counts.

DD: Conceived after 1 year of TTC with progesterone to correct LPD (likely caused by undiagnosed thyroid dysfunction). Born Aug 2009 via c/s after an induction due to pre-e and HELLP.

TTC #2 since Oct10 with an early loss in Aug 2011. Post-wash counts are too low for IUI to be successful, so moving on to IVF/ICSI in May 2014!

IVF/ICSI #1 (May 2014): Estrogen priming and antagonist protocol, including acupuncture and prayer!
17/05/14 - Baseline looks good, start Gonal-F 225iu and Luveris 75iu
28/05/14 - 18 eggs retrieved, 14 mature
29/05/14 - 13 fertilized!!! All are looking great still on day 3, so we're going to blast!
02/06/14 - Transferred one 1BC blast, with 3 other blasts and 3 morulas to watch and freeze
03/06/14 - All embryos have arrested. None to freeze
09/06/14 - Faint BFP at home at 7dp5dt!!!!!
10/06/14 - Beta?
March 4th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for the feed back. The iui recommendation was bc of the morph & motility issues. Though it could be possible that losses were related to bad ones (no guarantee). Washing does weed out some abnormals but the DNA fragmentation would be the best assessment of that (thx OnlyByGrace). I had a full work up already. But bc of the losses will need intensive monitoring & will get progesterone.

Thx so much.
March 4th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It seems like you talked to your RE office? Im sorry for your losses and hopefully they can figure out something for you!

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search