Accupuncture for infertility (high FSH, low ovarian reserve, egg quality)

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By *Leah*
  • 1 Post By kayakr
  • 1 Post By kayakr
  • 2 Post By Celry
  • 1 Post By kayakr
  • 1 Post By cutenurse24
  • 1 Post By *Leah*
  • 1 Post By stilltrying09
  • 1 Post By *Leah*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2013, 11:06 AM
stilltrying09
It'll be 1 year in June since me and DH have been trying to get pregnant. The past 3 cycles of injections have been unsuccessful. This current cycle I had to skip due to a cyst.

I have a high FSH and when I've had my baseline ultrasounds done, there's only been 1 follicle to begin with and only 1 follicle to work with after injections.

Has anyone heard or been successful with accupuncture in helping infertility?

I've called around and although they're somewhat pricey, if it helps and is worth it...I'LL DO IT!

If anyone has tried it and has been successful, if you don't mind sharing your experience and how long it took for results would be SO helpful.
March 7th, 2013, 11:27 AM
MandyEllen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tried acupuncture for my first IVF cycle. The IVF was cancelled & turned into an IUI. I didn't produce enough follicles. Come to find out (didn't know it at that point), I have a diminished ovarian reserve.

I do have a friend who has 2 daughters from IVF & she swears the acupuncture helped her.
7/12/13 - 16 dpo beta=825
7/19/13 - 23 dpo beta=18,870
7/26/13 - 30 dpo beta=72,091

March 7th, 2013, 11:39 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
I have done acupuncture and MA. It takes about 3 months to get the full benefits of acupuncture, so start as soon as you can. I did it for my last IVF and even though I only retrieved 4 eggs, 3 fertilized and 2 were transferred and I have my daughter. We are starting our second IVF and I've been going to acupuncture since January. It is most beneficial to decrease stress and increase blood flow and circulation to the reproductive organs.

My friend has low amh, and started acupuncture, her IVF worked and she is newly pregnant with twins

It definitely can't hurt! One of the most important times to get a treatment of acupuncture is right after the transfer, to relax the uterus. I went immediately to my ACUP, even though my clinic is 2 hours from her, I did it as soon as possible. I really think it improved my odds.

Best of luck to you. ((HUGS))
stilltrying09 likes this.
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

March 7th, 2013, 02:04 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
I have done it as well. I did 3 months of it while we were trying naturally and still had BFN. I will tell you though, my cycle did change a little and my AF was better and my stress was better.

I am doing IVF now and my 3rd appointment for Acupuncture is tomorrow. Working on an nice fluffy linning and stress. It can not hurt. I think you should do it.

Our friends tried MA for 2 years and never got BFN. Quit MA and did Acupuncture and natural and got a BFP in 2 months. She just delivered their baby a few weeks ago.

Good luck
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
March 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM
stilltrying09
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyEllen View Post
I tried acupuncture for my first IVF cycle. The IVF was cancelled & turned into an IUI. I didn't produce enough follicles. Come to find out (didn't know it at that point), I have a diminished ovarian reserve.

I do have a friend who has 2 daughters from IVF & she swears the acupuncture helped her.
I'm so sorry you have a diminished reserve. I'm trying to be as proactive as I can like all the mommies on here to avoid hearing that I can no longer have children from my RE.
March 7th, 2013, 02:24 PM
stilltrying09
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwaiting View Post
I have done acupuncture and MA. It takes about 3 months to get the full benefits of acupuncture, so start as soon as you can. I did it for my last IVF and even though I only retrieved 4 eggs, 3 fertilized and 2 were transferred and I have my daughter. We are starting our second IVF and I've been going to acupuncture since January. It is most beneficial to decrease stress and increase blood flow and circulation to the reproductive organs.

My friend has low amh, and started acupuncture, her IVF worked and she is newly pregnant with twins

It definitely can't hurt! One of the most important times to get a treatment of acupuncture is right after the transfer, to relax the uterus. I went immediately to my ACUP, even though my clinic is 2 hours from her, I did it as soon as possible. I really think it improved my odds.

Best of luck to you. ((HUGS))
This is encouraging! AF isn't due until 3/20. I guess it's probably a good idea if I had my first acupuncture done before AF so I'm relaxed and can do treatments as well.

BTW...is it safe to get acupuncture while doing injections or at any time for that matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakr View Post
I have done it as well. I did 3 months of it while we were trying naturally and still had BFN. I will tell you though, my cycle did change a little and my AF was better and my stress was better.

I am doing IVF now and my 3rd appointment for Acupuncture is tomorrow. Working on an nice fluffy linning and stress. It can not hurt. I think you should do it.

Our friends tried MA for 2 years and never got BFN. Quit MA and did Acupuncture and natural and got a BFP in 2 months. She just delivered their baby a few weeks ago.

Good luck
Well alright then. Your the 3rd positive response about acupuncture so looks like I will be looking for one to get started ASAP.
March 7th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Yes it is safe. Tell your acupuncturist what you are there for. They will work with your cycles and the RE to help everything. This is one person that will actually like looking at your charts if you BBT. They will suggest once a week appointments because every week your cycle is different and your body is doing different things. It took a full month for me to see a difference in AF. I did see a difference in my stress, energy, moods, over all health within 2 treatments.
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
March 7th, 2013, 02:28 PM
stilltrying09
How often do you see the acupuncturist? Once a week? Once a month?
March 7th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got pregnant twice with acupuncture, both times after 2.5-3 months of weekly treatments. We did the traditional fertility route too, but it wasn't working for us, so I switched to just acupuncture and am so glad I did. It obviously won't work for everyone, but based on what you've said, it may work for you. Make sure you look for an acupucnturist that specializes in fertility and not just one who will treat it. If you haven't already done so, I highly suggest you read, The Infertility Cure by Dr. Randine Lewis. Dr. Lewis trained my acupuncturist and I couldn't have been in better care. Let me know if you have any questions.
stilltrying09 and *Leah* like this.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 7th, 2013, 03:49 PM
stilltrying09
The more I read everyone's positive responses to my post, the more excited I get. I did search for acupuncturist that specialize in fertility and am calling around right now.

Like I anticipated, it is pricey and I'm assuming Kaiser doesn't have an acupuncture dept because the first place I called told me they have an agreement with Kaiser and offers a 25% off discount.

Thank you all for your responses! I hope to hear from more mommies.
March 7th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I go/went once a week.

I read that book too. My acupuncturist gave it to me at my first visit. It is insightful for sure. Different way of thinking of medicine and natural body healing then what Western Medicine has taught us.

Oh yea it also helped my planter factitious I had on my feet. My complexion cleared up too which was a mess from fertility drugs.

Also ask your RE if they recommend someone. They may already have one that they work well with and will work on the RE schedule for your treatments. My first treatment was $110.00 and every visit after that is $68.00

My RE is suppose to be getting on "in office" by end of summer. I hope I have graduated from MA by then. Good luck - can't wait to hear all about it.
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN

Last edited by kayakr; March 7th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
March 7th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have heard nothing but good things about acupuncture. I know that the fertility clinic here in town works with an acupuncturist and helps prep the women before they go through IVF. Those that undergo acupuncture were more likely to get pregnant and stay pregnant. They did a write up in our paper.

Here is the article: In vitro regimen, acupuncture marry well in treatment of infertility » The Commercial Appeal.

I found another article about it: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,154472,00.html

Last edited by cutenurse24; March 7th, 2013 at 06:52 PM.
March 8th, 2013, 02:03 AM
onlybygrace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont think it would hurt, but I never tried it.

I'm a huge needle wimp, and even though people swear it doesnt hurt...Im just not brave enough!

TTC our 1st since June 2011

6 cycles of Clomid, 2 cycles injectables, 5 IUIs: ALL BFNs

IVF #1: Starting 5th March 2013 - Praying for my 1st ever BFP!

March 8th, 2013, 08:16 AM
stilltrying09
I will email my RE this morning and check if she has an acupuncturist that she can refer me to.

I'm not excited about needles, but whatever will help, if it helps me, I'll do it.

Thank you...thank you...thank you everyone!!
March 8th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celry View Post
If you haven't already done so, I highly suggest you read, The Infertility Cure by Dr. Randine Lewis. Dr. Lewis trained my acupuncturist and I couldn't have been in better care. Let me know if you have any questions.
I have this book too, my acupuncturist actually borrowed it from me.

I go every week in the beginning, then once every 2 weeks, but once I start cycling, I will go once a week. Even during injections. They will stay away from your abdomen the second half of your cycle, and they will ask you tons of questions regarding AF, how you feel, etc....

I also went once a month throughout my pregnancy. I had NO morning sickness (maybe 6 days of it) and I felt great. I really think Acupuncture balanced my body.

Best of luck to you!
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?

March 8th, 2013, 02:50 PM
stilltrying09
I'm thinking while I'm being treated for my fertility issues, might as well ask if they can help with my lower back pain as well.
*Leah* likes this.
March 9th, 2013, 08:47 AM
definitely! I had hand pain and she put a bunch of needles in my hands and up my arm and it felt normal the very next day. id had the pain for over a month!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search