Embryo Donation/Adoption

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have any of you ever donated/received donated embryos? This is something we are starting to look into. We know we can't afford a fresh cycle, plus honestly our genes are pretty sucky. It would allow us to adopt which DH wants to do (although the state doesn't count it as such) but still allow me to experience pregnancy and hopefully breastfeeding which I want. We won't really be able to start the process until at least three months from now as I will most likely be on something for my endo starting next Wednesday, so I'm just doing basic research in the meantime.

If you've done this, what was your experience like? Would you have any tips for someone considering it? Did you have any "hidden costs"? FIRM lists a price of $3,477 + progesterone costs, but that seems really low to me. I was expecting more like $5-8k.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
March 20th, 2013, 07:49 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I have no experience at all on either end, but that price doesn't sound too bad. The base price of an FET with my RE was $3950, so it is very similar.
*Leah* likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 20th, 2013, 08:08 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
FET at my clinic is about 6000 and embie adoption would be similar to that.

Embies that no one wants any longer are donated at my clinic so they wouldn't cost you anything.
My clinic is small though so there isn't many that go up for adoption. I say if you have the opportunity to do you should!
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
March 20th, 2013, 09:19 PM
swtneka's Avatar Praying for a miracle
I have no experience but wanted to say that is awesome and I wish u d the best of luck!

Thanks bonnie for my siggie

March 20th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If we had had any leftover embies in our cycle, we were planning to donate but we only had 3 total and transferred them all. Anyways, we've thought about embryo donation ourselves if nothing works out for us in TTC so I'm interested to read more about your experience and what you find.
kayakr likes this.

March 21st, 2013, 06:01 AM
IndyMommyWannabe's Avatar Always Hoping & Praying
I know there are a few places such as "snowflakes" where you can adopt. I'm sure the costs from clinic to clinic vary greatly just like with any procedures...I see above that some mention how much their FET's at their doc's offices are - whereas ours is only $1850 for the actual FET procedure (and about $300 per lining check) then of course the progesterone...

IVF=ONLY option

October 2012 = Fresh IVF #1 - retrieved 8, 6 fertilized. Transfer 2. Fail.March 2013 = Frozen #1 - Transfer 2 of 4 left. Fail.
February 2014 = Frozen #2 - Transfer remaining 2 - IMPLANTATION!
8 weeks, D&C - blighted ovum - Triploidy

July 2014 = Fresh IVF #2!

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us!"

Come visit my blog/journal to learn more about our journey - Our Adventure through Infertility
March 21st, 2013, 06:25 AM
I would have been more then happy to embie adopt if my clinic had any up for adoption rather then use donor and fresh IVF cycle. However that was not an option. If we have extra embies and our first IVF process works we will be donating our embies as well.
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
March 21st, 2013, 09:59 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
Embryo adoption, at least in our state, follows the same guidelines as regular adoption. You have to do the homestudy, etc.. So while the txfer and meds are included in that price, look into the adoption legalwork cost as well. Friends of ours, looked into this as an option. Good luck!
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

March 21st, 2013, 10:30 AM
wow Leah that is crazy. Embie adoption in Ohio isn't really anything but it does make sense it should be like a regular adoption.
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
March 21st, 2013, 11:40 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My understanding is that embryo adoption actually hurts the rest of the legality surrounding IVF and other medical routes. In order to adopt, the embryo is granted what is called "personhood", so once an embryo is considered covered under personhood laws, then IVF and other interventions can be outlawed or highly legalized. One example is that IVF could still be conducted but only one or two eggs could be retrieved as freezing an embryo would no longer be allowed due to no longer being allowed to "freeze pre born humans". You could only retrieve one or two as those would be transferred but no others could be retrieved and saved for a future cycle. You would need to start all over again next cycle.

Going through the process of embryo donation is very different from the legality of adoption.
KMH and kayakr like this.

March 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I think there are "personhood amendments" up for consideration in Oklahoma and Mississippi right now, and they are really problematic for IVFers. Like Lash said, IVF would be really limited or just plain illegal. I'm not sure any docs would want to even do IVF...if you mishandle an embryo and it does not survive, can the doc be tried for murder? Manslaughter? I understand that the proponents of these things just want to protect innocent life, but the unintended consequences are vast and scary.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM
wow Lauren that is scary. I can't imaging paying for a donor egg and only retrieving 2 eggs on purpose.

BTW - we have missed you. Good to see you. We need you around here your knowledge is always so helpful

Gretchen
*Leah* likes this.
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
March 21st, 2013, 12:38 PM
IndyMommyWannabe's Avatar Always Hoping & Praying
oh yeah. it's absolutely disgusting some of the information I've read about people and their ideas around "personhood" of embryos. This probably isn't the thread to go into all of that but the unfortunate reality is - depending on what state one lives in, it could seriously affect one's process of adopting said embryos...This stuff, like KMH said, just gives fuel to the fire of people who hate IVF already and some truly do think that discarding of embryos is murder. So that is of course something else to look into - wherever one decides to go for embryo adoption is not just the cost of the procedure (and always remember, you are paying for the legal paperwork and the procedure, it is absolutely 100% illegal to "buy" embryos/human tissue...) - but definitely look into all of the legal stuff per your state and the state (if you go to another) for the adoption itself.

I love the idea OF embryo adoption - but again, there's SO much legal stuff surrounding it!

IVF=ONLY option

October 2012 = Fresh IVF #1 - retrieved 8, 6 fertilized. Transfer 2. Fail.March 2013 = Frozen #1 - Transfer 2 of 4 left. Fail.
February 2014 = Frozen #2 - Transfer remaining 2 - IMPLANTATION!
8 weeks, D&C - blighted ovum - Triploidy

July 2014 = Fresh IVF #2!

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us!"

Come visit my blog/journal to learn more about our journey - Our Adventure through Infertility
March 21st, 2013, 12:39 PM
From what I understand so far, legally embryo adoption does not exist. Embryos are considered property not persons. There are some matching agencies that treat it like adoption with home studies and all that, by it's not necessary. It's just a way for them to get more money since it's illegal to pay for the embryos themselves. Legally the woman giving birth to the embryo is considered the mother and her partner the father (if she has one).
KMH and IndyMommyWannabe like this.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
March 21st, 2013, 12:56 PM
But if I want to donate my frozen embies is that different? I dont' want to adopt them out just donate. (if I had any)
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
March 21st, 2013, 01:03 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a big fan of the personhood stuff going on. And I still cannot grasp why people are against IVF at all. If they are against, they don't need to do it. Leave everyone else and their bodies to their own child bearing decisions!

It would be nice if it were as simple as a really kind gesture on the parts of two couples, that will end result in a very very wanted, very loved new baby.

I think it's lovely to donate the embryos and I think 'adopting' one is a great idea. You are a very lovely person hun, and you and your man really deserve to have a baby.
Frozenoj and zonee@gmail.com like this.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
March 21st, 2013, 01:07 PM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
Gretchen, I think it's the same thing. If you put them up for donation, they must be "adopted" by a couple. The protocol surrounding that "adoption" differs from state to state.

My friends that wanted to do it, looked into snowflake, and other organizations, however, since same sex couples can't adopt children in our state, they are not allowed to adopt embryos either. Don't even get me started on this. Donor sperm with IUI's did not work for them.

Praying it all works out for you OJ I'll be looking for updates
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

March 21st, 2013, 01:12 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwaiting View Post
My friends that wanted to do it, looked into snowflake, and other organizations, however, since same sex couples can't adopt children in our state, they are not allowed to adopt embryos either. Don't even get me started on this. Donor sperm with IUI's did not work for them.
Boo! How sad for them!!
My sister is at the beginning of TTC and she is married to a woman. Not the easiest thing, or the most accepted. How hard to have one more roadblock!
*Leah* and zonee@gmail.com like this.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
March 21st, 2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwaiting View Post
Gretchen, I think it's the same thing. If you put them up for donation, they must be "adopted" by a couple. The protocol surrounding that "adoption" differs from state to state.

Praying it all works out for you OJ I'll be looking for updates
Did they try going through a clinic rather than an agency? As far as I can tell adoption laws simply do not apply to receiving donated embryos. If a clinic was willing to do IUI with donor sperm I'd think they would let them receive a donor embryo if they had any. Not all clinics do embryo donation though.

I'm not trying to call yo or them a liar or anything this just not fit within anything I've read so far.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
March 21st, 2013, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakr View Post
But if I want to donate my frozen embies is that different? I dont' want to adopt them out just donate. (if I had any)
Do you mean to another person/couple or like to science? From what I can tell they are all donations and adoption is only used because it feels like adoption, but legally it's a donation. I'm not completely sure about the process on the donating end but I think you can donate "openly" or anonymously. If you go anonymous you might never know what kind of couple they were donated to, when they were used, or if it resulted if a viable pregnancy. Like if you donate something to goodwill you never know what becomes of it. On your end it's just kind of over. If you do it more openly then you might can find out that kind of stuff like you would for adoption. Also I think if you donate them to somebody and they don't use them all historically they will go back into your possession. But this is just what I've learned after a few days of research I'm sure there are intricacies I don't know about.

TTC Blog
10-21-12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search