Round 2 of Femara was a bust as well. :(

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By *JenJen*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2013, 06:52 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
12dpo and nothing but stark white HPTs, so I'm counting myself out for this cycle. When I do get pregnant, I always get BFPs by 10dpo.

My history in a nutshell is:

2 healthy pregnancies (born 7-09 and 11-10), followed by 3 consecutive miscarriages, which is what sent me to an RE. 3 more "chemicals" in the first few months of seeing the RE. Then, no more pregnancies of any kind since. I've done 3 rounds of 50mg Clomid, and am finishing up my 2nd cycle on Femara (AF should be here in a couple days). Prior to starting the Femara, my RE said we'd try 3 rounds, and then we'd think about testing for more out there/odd things. She did not say if a new med would be used. It seems, however, that my initial problem of habitual m/c is now compounded by infertility. She says its "troubling" that I haven't had a "real" pregnancy in over a year.

So.....I was feeling alright this cycle, laid back and very hopeful actually because our timing was perfect. Now that I know it didn't work, I'm incredibly impatient again and I have zero hope for a third cycle of Femara and kind of don't want to even try it for a 3rd time. I seriously want to just call up my RE and be like.....there's obviously something wrong, let's skip the weak stuff and move on to something with a higher success rate. Is that ridiculous that I'm already giving up hope on the Femara? What should I do? I honestly feel like, if it hasn't helped already, and Clomid hasn't either, then maybe I just don't respond well to oral fertility meds.

What do you think? What would you do? Is there anything I should suggest or ask my RE about? She has been pretty open so far to my thoughts on things.

Sorry this is long....

March 25th, 2013, 07:40 PM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
I think you would be fine asking your RE to move ahead now. Most RE's want to give meds 3 attempts because the odds are the highest of it working in the first 3 tries, and after that not so likely. If nothing else, maybe you can use next cycle as a combo of femara and injectibles or something to see what works, or it might be time for more testing. Have they done an HSG? SHG? Lap? those might give you some more answers

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

March 25th, 2013, 09:24 PM
They did the saline ultrasound last year, as well as the whole recurrent pregnancy loss blood test panel. Three things turned up from that - PAI- 4G/4G mutation, compound heterozygous MTHFR, and borderline lupus anticoagulant. Neither of the REs I have seen (they work in the same practice, just different sides of town) think that either of them are any cause of concern (although I've read that other REs think differently). The first said I should do heparin twice daily from the time I get a positive HPT. The RE I see currently (because she is closer to where I live) says the heparin is not necessary since my results with the lupus anticoagulant were borderline, but said I could do it if I wanted to and she wouldn't be opposed to it.

I've asked if there is anything left to test for and my RE said they've pretty much done everything already. I asked about repeating and she said that is not necessary. The only thing that she says is left is genetic karyotyping of both my husband and I, however, it is highly unlikely that we have an issue there because of the fact that we had two healthy children. Oh, and as for an HSG, my RE said I don't need that because she and the other RE are confident in the results of the saline one.

I think the testing that she said would come next is stuff like the immunologic stuff, which seems pretty controversial in the world of reproductive endocrinology...from what I've read.

I think we've moved beyond just trying to figure out why I kept having miscarriages. Now I can't even get pregnant to know if anything would work (progesterone, heparin, etc.).

March 25th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
What are your mdicycle scan showing as far as follicles and size?
I don't think it's weird if you are ready to move forward emotionally, physically and financially.
TTC#3 since Summer 2011
10 IUIs= one confirmed and lots of BFN
9/13/13 IVF#1 ( One 5AA blast)= BFN
11/18/13 FET (Two 5AA blasts)=
2/26/14 FET (Two 5BA blasts)= BFP!!!
Beta HCG 14 DPO: 181 / 17 DPO: 870 / 24 DPO: 16,051
3/24/14= We have a heartbeat and ONE sticky bean!
My blog

Check out Leah's cute newborn Hats and Baby Items!

March 26th, 2013, 05:44 AM
I'm not getting ANY scans. That's the problem. I don't understand why as almost everyone else who takes them gets checked on. I ovulate on my own. The drugs were just supposed to enhance it....to have so-called superovulation for more and better eggs.

I know the next steps are more expensive, but I'd rather just move on than continue to waste time and money on stuff that just doesn't seem to be working. But I don't want to come off as a pain in the *** or like I am throwing in the towel too early.

March 26th, 2013, 05:54 AM
onlybygrace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can understand your frustrations. I'd defin itely want to run these past my RE to see if he could do something differently this next cycle.

TTC our 1st since June 2011

6 cycles of Clomid, 2 cycles injectables, 5 IUIs: ALL BFNs

IVF #1: Starting 5th March 2013 - Praying for my 1st ever BFP!

March 26th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Alright....I emailed her. We'll see what she says! Thanks guys! I just needed some encouragement and reassurance that I'm not asking for anything crazy.

Hopefully she doesn't make me come into the office again to discuss it.

March 26th, 2013, 07:45 AM
melissaleigh's Avatar Unashamed POASer
I think you have gotten lots of great input - Just wanted to say Good Luck with everything!!
March 26th, 2013, 09:28 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
If she does want you to do another cycle of femara, I'd INSIST on mid cycle monitoring to see just what your reaction to the drugs is.
Lucy S. likes this.

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

March 26th, 2013, 02:33 PM
She emailed me back. Her response was:

Quote:
"It does sound like we need to reevaluate the whole situation."
She's going to call me tomorrow afternoon to discuss.

It's annoying how she never gives any real answers in email. Must be a liability thing or something. But she's the one who told me to email her at least once a month to keep her updated.

If there is one thing that I learned from my miscarriages, it's you need to research, push, and advocate for yourself... I wish I didn't have to though. I'm not a fan of being pushy. But it seems like unless I bring it up, the REs are content to just let things happen since I am on the younger side of the patients they see (I'm 30). Only reason I ever got Clomid and Femara is because I asked!

I hope we reach an agreeable solution tomorrow.

March 26th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am glad that you emailed your RE and hope that ya'll can come up with a better game plan.I definitely agree with you, you have to become your own advocate. Sometimes you have to get a little pushy in order to make sure all options are being explored and visited. Fingers crossed for you!!! Hoping ya'll can come up with a great game plan together.

Last edited by cutenurse24; March 26th, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
March 26th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Im glad you emailed her and Im sorry this cycle didn't work. I ovulated on my own but took Femara to give me a stronger, healthier egg too and my RE still monitored my cycles. Do you do IUIs ? Maybe try that this cycle as well?
March 26th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
I am glad you guys are going to discuss it!
I ovulate on my own (1-2 a cycle) and am monitored with clomid/femara. I worry about cysts and yes, it working how it should!

I agree with you! You have to advocate and regardless she works for you!
TTC#3 since Summer 2011
10 IUIs= one confirmed and lots of BFN
9/13/13 IVF#1 ( One 5AA blast)= BFN
11/18/13 FET (Two 5AA blasts)=
2/26/14 FET (Two 5BA blasts)= BFP!!!
Beta HCG 14 DPO: 181 / 17 DPO: 870 / 24 DPO: 16,051
3/24/14= We have a heartbeat and ONE sticky bean!
My blog

Check out Leah's cute newborn Hats and Baby Items!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search