Moving on to injectables!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2013, 09:07 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
My RE called me today, and she said that she thinks that I am right and that it may be time to consider something else to help me get pregnant. She said there are a few options:

1. Injectables w/ IUI
2. Injectables with timed intercourse
3. IVF

I'm going for option No. 2 - injectables with timed intercourse. She said that some people like to jump right to IVF, but she also said she knew that probably was not what I wanted to do and said injectables either with or without IUI would be my best bet. She said the success rate with IUI is not much better than timed intercourse.

She did not say which meds I will use yet. She called late in the afternoon and said she was going to have her nurse take a look at my file and my insurance and see what or if they cover, and then determine what I should go with and she'd get back to me tomorrow. She said for the meds it will be about $400-$500 per cycle, which actually sounded kinda low to me from everything I've read...but maybe she is leaning towards the ones that are derived from the urine of post-menopausal women, which I believe are cheaper than the newer synthetic drugs. Does that pricing sound right? She also said if I wanted to do IUI, that's about $400. The RE was not sure if my insurance covered ultrasounds and blood work, but I think there's a good chance they will. From my interpretation of reading the policy, they just won't cover IUI, IVF, etc. or any meds but diagnostic stuff is covered. So, anyways, the nurse should hopefully call me back tomorrow with info.

RE asked where I was at in my cycle.... I told her... so she said I can still do it this upcoming cycle if I want, but we need to start things on either CD3 or CD5. If AF comes tomorrow, CD3 will be Saturday. For purposes of convenience and scheduling all this crap, it'd probably be better if AF held off til Saturday. Is there any advantage to starting at CD 3 as opposed to CD 5??

Oh, and thankfully this will come with plenty of monitoring...unlike my clomid and femara cycles. She said I'll have to come in every few days for ultrasounds and blood work to make sure its working.

She did say there's a much higher chance of twins, and a higher chance of triplets or more. I already was aware of that.

Soooooo....if all goes well, I should be starting with injectables by Monday. I am excited! She said this may have a better chance of working for me since it works in a different way than oral meds.

I have some questions for those of you who've done injectables before -----

- what did you use?
- What did it cost?
- what dosage did you use?
- did it work?
- did you have any side effects? and if so, were they as bad as clomid (or femara)?
- were yours subcutaneous or intramuscular?
- what did your insurance cover?
- anything else I should know or ask about??

March 27th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
Wow lots of info!! That's great! I am happy for you!!
Hope this does the trick!

So I did inj 9 years ago so I am not much help but I will try..
- what did you use? repronex (not even sure it's around anymore?)
- What did it cost? I believe around $1000 a cycle
- what dosage did you use? Can't remember
- did it work? 2nd cycle I got pg with m/c and 4th or 5th cycle I got pg with #2
- did you have any side effects? and if so, were they as bad as clomid (or femara)? I was a hot mess in general so I can't remember
- were yours subcutaneous or intramuscular? intramuscular- DH would it
- what did your insurance cover? I had 50% coverage back then but not for meds
- anything else I should know or ask about?? Who is injecting you? I did classes with DH but not sure they do that everywhere or even need to
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

March 28th, 2013, 06:06 AM
onlybygrace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used Puregon with IUI (3 times). It didnt work for me (as we have DNA fragmentation issues).

Hoping this is your cycle! Good luck!

TTC our 1st since June 2011

6 cycles of Clomid, 2 cycles injectables, 5 IUIs: ALL BFNs

IVF #1: Starting 5th March 2013 - Praying for my 1st ever BFP!

March 28th, 2013, 06:10 AM
~~MeeMee~~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't really answer your questions, because of my age I moved straight to IVF, but wanted to wish you lots of luck!

BABY BOY due June 6

Me 40 DH 42 with an amazing 15yo DS
TTC #2 NTNP starting in 2009
actively TTC (BBT and OPKs) 2011
natural BFP Feb 2012, ending in mmc Apr with d&c in May
IVF Sep 2012, 4 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized, but showed abnormal
growth, so not suitable for transfer
Nov 2012 IVF take 2 = 3 embryos, but due to concerns with lining unable to transfer
Jan 2013 endometrial biopsy = normal
Mar FET transferred 2 beautiful embryos, but unfortunately BFN
moving to donor eggs fall of 2013
Septemeber 30, 2013 - surprise BFP while waiting for DE
March 28th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've done lots of IUI cycles with injectables. I used a follistim injection, which is subcutaneous (small needle, into the belly, not much pain at all). I didn't have any side effects from it at all (I never did clomid or anything, so I have nothing to compare it to). I used doses ranging from 75 IU to 100 IU, and produced between 1-3 follicles on those dosages.

As for pricing, my insurance didn't cover any injectable medications. There are a lot of specialty pharmacies that will provide certain discounts when you're paying out of pocket, so I basically called 5 or 6 different pharmacies (in MN, where I live, as well as all around the country) to get price quotes. The pharmacy I ended up going with was local, and charged just under $300 per 300IU cartridge. So the overall price depends on how many days you need to stim... I usually went through 2-3 cartridges, so anywhere between $300-$900 for the injectable meds. I also had to use an ovidrel injection to trigger ovulation, and that cost about $150 by itself. So I'd say around $1000 for meds, if you're paying out of pocket, is reasonable.

As for whether it worked, well, I did the same procedure with both my kids, who are now 5 and 2. I'm also 11 wks pg now. But I have had several cycles that didn't work, too, as well as a few miscarriages.

Good luck!

August 2012 December 2012
March 28th, 2013, 07:33 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
So I technically did 2 rounds of injectables even though we were successful on the first round, but giving you info on both

- what did you use? 1st cycle (successful one) Follistim, 2nd round Menopur.We did timed intercourse with the Follistim and then IUI with Menopur.

- What did it cost? I was super lucky that my med plan completely covered cost beyond co-pay, so I think each cycle was about $80 (and that might have included the Ovidrel shot too).

- what dosage did you use? I think Follistim was 75 (but I forget), Menopur was 150 dosage I think

- did it work? Follistim did work, first cycle

- did you have any side effects? and if so, were they as bad as clomid (or femara)? I never had much in the way of side effects with Clomid or Femara (beyond the uterine lining thinning issue with Clomid). I did find myself a bit dizzy & nauseous with the Follistim, and more so with the Menopur but then I was pregnant when I took the Menopur so who knows.

- were yours subcutaneous or intramuscular? subcutaneous. Follistim has a nifty preloaded pen, super easy to use. Menopur required me to learn how to mix the meds (there's the actual med in a vial & then liquid in another you have to blend together, then draw your own shot).

- what did your insurance cover? Virtually everything, but I have an exceptional prescription plan (apparently) so I paid only an $80 co-pay. I believe the over the counter cost on both Follistim & Menopur for the # of days prescribed (I think I took Follistim maybe for 6 days?, Menopur I took for 10) was around $1200/each.

Good luck to you - I had a great result on Follistim, but hopefully no matter what your Dr prescribes you'll get lucky too!!

ETA: I missed your who is injecting you question - I do all my own injections, husband's big wimp when it comes to needles and injecting me LOL

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)

Last edited by L-SBB; March 28th, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
March 28th, 2013, 08:40 AM
MandyEllen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
what did you use? Follistim & Menapur with an Ovidrel trigger for IUI
- What did it cost? Each medicine had a $70 co-pay for me
- what dosage did you use? By my last IUI, I was on 150 Follistim 2x per day, 150 Menapur 1x per day and an Ovidrel trigger for my IUIs
- did it work? I did not get a bfp
- did you have any side effects? and if so, were they as bad as clomid (or femara)? I never used clomid/femera
- were yours subcutaneous or intramuscular? For my IUIs, it was subcutaneous
- what did your insurance cover? Everything, but $30 co-pay for each monitoring session & $70 co-pay for each medication
- anything else I should know or ask about?? Sometimes REs will cancel cycles if you stim too many eggs. It sounds like yours is okay with a triplet + pregnancy. Mine would cancel if it was going to be more than 3 mature follicles at that time (again, for IUI, not my IVF cycles).
7/12/13 - 16 dpo beta=825
7/19/13 - 23 dpo beta=18,870
7/26/13 - 30 dpo beta=72,091

March 28th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I am jealous of those of you with good infertility coverage. I am still waiting to hear back from the nurse and am getting impatient. AF started today, which would make cd3 Saturday. I want to get this show on the road. There is a pharmacy that specializes in infertility medications in the area that they use, which is probably what I have to use since this is such short notice. They will overnight ship to your house for free, or I assume you can pick it up also. Do you think it is unreasonable if I call at 2 to see what's up if I don't hear before then? I think I'll need to get in for an ultrsound too and I don't know what their Saturday hours are...........

March 28th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to wish you good luck, I really hope the injectables do the trick for you!
March 28th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
FYI, Starbucks covers injectible meds for fertility cycles and you can get their coverage just working part time. Its an ****** pain in the arse to take a second job but it will be a big help especially if you need IVF. Ours were around $10,000 for MEDS alone and we only paid a copay for all of those meds. I was on very high levels of meds due to DOR

You could essentially just work a weekend shift at Sbux and have coverage. You only need 20 hours a week to get it (you or hubby could do it).

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

March 28th, 2013, 11:06 AM
LindseyandJoeinAL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Julie! Good luck with your upcoming IUI! I actually went straight to IVF, so I'm about to do my first IUI. I just started injections Monday, so here are the answers I have so far:

- what did you use? Follistim, Novarel, Crinone

- What did it cost? $40 copay for Follistim, $4 copay for Novarel, $40 copay for Crinone, $30 copay for each monitoring visit ( I think there will be 3) and $550 for IUI
- what dosage did you use? CD 3-6 100 IU Follistim (don't know the rest yet)
- did it work? praying for a BFP!
- did you have any side effects? and if so, were they as bad as clomid (or femara)? Clomid was dreadful for me and I was a witch with crazy mood swings. So far I've only had a mild headache with the Follistim
- what did your insurance cover? see above
- anything else I should know or ask about?? Who is injecting you? I'm doing the injections and they are all subQ. They are easy peasy and truly not painful *at all.* I just do one at night in my stomach with the Follistim pen.
TTC baby #2

lap surgery Apr 2010 stage 2 endo removed
IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
Wonderful, sweet daughter Khloe born August 2011
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
2nd lap surgery Dec 2012 stage 1 endo removed
IUI Apr 2013 cancelled due to producing 10 mature follicles
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN
IVF #4 Nov 2013 BFP! on 8dp3dt
Expecting boy/girl twins 8/1/14

March 28th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
- what did you use? Menopur (I know this is one from post men. Women)
- What did it cost?$1000/cycle
- what dosage did you use?Not sure but I know they can adjust it as the cycle progresses to control the qty of eggs
- did it work?YES! First cycle! We will be doing this same drug this time!
- did you have any side effects? and if so, were they as bad as clomid (or femara)?I don't recall any side effects. I think fluid gain is one of the main things to watch for
- were yours subcutaneous or intramuscular? Sub. With a diabetic needle in the stomach
- what did your insurance cover? Our insurance wasn't supposed to cover any but it covered all the ultrasounds/blood work/ etc. I think we out of pocket the procedures- but cant recall off hand (it's been 3.5 years since we last went through all this
- anything else I should know or ask about?? I would still do an iui. They had us BD too. I think anything to increase the chances since we are spending so much $ on the medicines.
Good luck

Saw a beautiful little heartbeat 1/28/10
Heard a Beautiful little heartbeat 3/3/2010
Saw a Beautiful Little GIRL 4/5/2010!!!!
Held my beautiful Little GIRL 9/24/2010

March 28th, 2013, 06:09 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Hi - it's good to see you so excited to move to the next level. Hopefully you will get your BFP soon. I will try and answer a few of these questions from my experience.

- what did you use? Repronex
- What did it cost? $3500.00
- what dosage did you use? I can't remember but it was an average dose
- did it work? Yes I had follies on both sides which is what is was suppose to do. but did not get my BFP
- did you have any side effects? and if so, were they as bad as clomid (or femara)? Yes but not as bad. Mostly just emotional and weepy
- were yours subcutaneous or intramuscular? In my chubby belly
- what did your insurance cover? NONE
- anything else I should know or ask about?? ?
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
March 28th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Super Mommy
Just wanted to say good luck!!!
TTC#1 for 1 1/2 years~ DS, DJ (3) Conceived naturally using acupuncture and herbs
TTC #2 for 1 1/2 yrs~DH(3 mths on Clomid&Olive Leaf Extract)
Our 1st Clomid & TI cycle August 2013 -BFP on 9/08/13!!!!!!!!

March 28th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
FYI, Starbucks covers injectible meds for fertility cycles and you can get their coverage just working part time. Its an ****** pain in the arse to take a second job but it will be a big help especially if you need IVF. Ours were around $10,000 for MEDS alone and we only paid a copay for all of those meds. I was on very high levels of meds due to DOR

You could essentially just work a weekend shift at Sbux and have coverage. You only need 20 hours a week to get it (you or hubby could do it).
ooooo!!
Which plan? DH is a shift manager at Sbux but I don't think we have med coverage. I have had clomid covered and femara as long as it's 2.5mg a day. When we tried to do 5mg a day they wanted to charge me $171 so my Dr just redid the script for 2.5mg for 10 days. Not sure what the new clinic will want to do re:meds so I have to prepare myself JIC we go back to inj. or to ivf
Now I am wondering if I picked the wrong plan or if it's a different state thing?
I know they will help with $4000 for adoption.
Due with #3
My blog

March 28th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all the feedback....really appreciate it!!! I like to get all the info I can before jumping into something.

So..update...the nurse called around 4pm. I am going in at 9:15am tomorrow for a baseline ultrasound and bloodwork. She already called in my scripts for Follistim (75iu) and Ovidrel for the trigger shot. I am very impressed...the pharmacy called me at 5pm and its going to be delivered to my door (no charge) TOMORROW. If they weren't able to deliver it, I was going to drive the hour away and pick it up in person. I didn't think they could do that so late in the day. That's fab. The downside is the cost...haha. They did 2 300iu things of the Follistim, but told me there's always an extra 100iu in each one, so I'll have basically 2 extra doses worth. The nurse said this is a lower dose that they are starting me out with. I'll have to come in about every 3 days for monitoring.

So....right now I'm kind of excited.

Oh..one more question.....maybe TMI, but both Clomid and Femara stopped my period within a day of starting taking them each cycle. Can I expect Follistim to do the same?

March 28th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy S. View Post
ooooo!!
Which plan? DH is a shift manager at Sbux but I don't think we have med coverage. I have had clomid covered and femara as long as it's 2.5mg a day. When we tried to do 5mg a day they wanted to charge me $171 so my Dr just redid the script for 2.5mg for 10 days. Not sure what the new clinic will want to do re:meds so I have to prepare myself JIC we go back to inj. or to ivf
Now I am wondering if I picked the wrong plan or if it's a different state thing?
I know they will help with $4000 for adoption.
We've had it since he was just a barista, and I"m pretty sure he wasn't a shift back then or anything at that point (he's a manager now).

We also got the $4000 assistance AND the cup fund has helped with the funeral and they've given him 3 weeks off for bereavement at 66% pay. So really freaking awesome of them.

Clomid and Femara coverage is the one I don't know but I do know they cover the injectable kinds. It's definitely not by state, but I know we have the more expensive plan. Download the benefit plan description from the mysbuxben.com site

We had SO MANY meds, and our total copay at the end of them all was under $300

March 28th, 2013, 09:43 PM
If I ever need IVF or find this takes too long to get pregnant and we start running out of money, I'll definitely look into Starbucks for coverage.

March 28th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Oh now I am excited!
Even if it only helps with meds if we do ivf, that would be awesome!!
I thought I read the coverage but apparently not! LOL!
TY!
Due with #3
My blog

March 29th, 2013, 07:42 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
I will continue to support Starbucks!!!! This is good to know that they are taking care of their employees. I will continue to purchase their coffee!
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569