I also need opinions on what to do.

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kayakr
  • 1 Post By kayakr

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
I think this cycle is a bust... 12dpo BFN

So I am not sure where to go from hereÖ
Basic history for those who donít know-
Did fertility treatments for last two kids (one was successful after a few clomid cycles TI, the other took many IUIs and injectable meds) losses before each pregnancy. Was annovulatory both times. Male factor the first time that we correct on our own. Aprox 1.5 years of TTC with both and TTCMA the entire time with #2.

This time around I am with my new DH. We started TTC late summer of 2011. Decided to try on our own because I was ovulating on my own. Well that didnít work so we started seeing an OBGYN that does fertility treatments.
3 IUI with clomid- tons of mature eggs but lining was always 7mm= all failed (possible 2 chemicals but super early)
3 IUI cycles of Femara- less eggs than clomid but still responded well and lining was better. Cycle 1 m/c and HCG never got over 132. Next two cycles BFN.
With clomid I had an average of 4 mature follicles. With femara approx 3.
I am now 36yo and DH is 40yo in june.
So that is where we are at. I have an appointment next Wednesday with a new clinic. All of the clinics within 50 miles suck for IVF stats and I am hoping that doesnít relate to IUI rates *sigh* This clinic has OK stats for this area. They said I may not be able to start this next cycle and that frustrates me. But I can also stay with my current clinic while I guess orientating myself with the new one?

I am afraid of going to an IVF clinic and having IVF pushed on us if thatís not necessary. OTOH I donít want to waste more money either and then end up there.
So how do you know where to go? What would you do? Femara did work the first cycle but hasnít since.
I would really need honest opinions and thoughts.
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

April 4th, 2013, 04:07 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh no. I'm so sorry this cycle was a bust honey

I'm not doing anything as advanced as you, so I'm totally unqualified for advice, but I think if I was in your shoes, at this point, after 6 IUIs, I would go to the IVF clinic and at least talk to them. Can't hurt to talk them. What does your current dr think?

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
April 4th, 2013, 05:29 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Is your current doc an RE or an OB?

I was at this crossroads once...6 failed IUIs and we needed a new direction. Injectables is one next step, but the possibility of multiples scared us too much (ha ha!). We were ready to break out the big guns because we needed our lives to go in one direction or the other...life with kids or without. I have never regretted it; going for it saved our sanity. I think it would have even if we would have failed...we just needed to know what the next 50 years was going to look like for us.

I agree that you should at least discuss IVF. You might realize that you aren't ready to make that jump yet, and that is okay. Or you might realize that it is time to do it...either way you'll be able to make a better decision if you have all the info/options.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 4th, 2013, 05:36 PM
*Whiskey*'s Avatar Blessed
I agree with Melissa. Probably best to get all your options laid out before you and then make your decision for your treatment.

:bighugs:

April 4th, 2013, 07:41 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POASíers
Lucy - you are 36 now and if you don't want to face using donor eggs or failed IVF cycles because of old eggs I would get to the RE. I only say this because you are at a nice age still. I hate to see you wait and then at 39 head to the RE. Options go down ALOT the older you get. I started this at 40 ALL my numbers are within range and we have MFI. It doesn't matter though my eggs are still 40 + years old. Learn from me - I don't want to scare you but 36 is the age where you need to get to the RE in my opinion. Not just for IVF either but for many other reasons. Things take time. I thought I'd be doing IVF in Oct then it changed to Jan and now here we are April and it's just happening. That is 7 months and and including a birthday in there for me. There comes a time when time is not on your side any longer. You are not there yet so don't panic but don't post pone in my opinion.

RE will leave no stone unturned and if they think they can treat you without IVF they will.
vickyblueeyes likes this.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13

Last edited by kayakr; April 4th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
April 4th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
Thanks ladies

I have a consultation appointment with the actual RE on Wednesday. I just needed some opinions because i am afraid they will push me straight to IVF and I want to know what *I* think and feel *before* I talk to them y/k? And your thoughts and opinions help a ton with that for me

Melissa you made me giggle! That scares me because I worry I can't carry twins safely... And then i worry about the "extra" embryos and what I would want to do with them.
And you are right, I don't think I would regret it (especially if it worked).

Gretchen, you my dear are awesome and you have left a big imprint on my life. Thank you for being brave enough to say what you are thinking. I always appreciate it. I do now think of you when I think of my age. It's crappy that we have to but every time you have mentioned waiting and regretting doing so, my stomach drops. I started this at 34yo and wasn't too worried. Now I am 36yo and it is a different ball game.

I think i am afraid of the RE because I am not sure there are any other steps. If I didn't respond so flipping well to oral meds, I would say we could try IUI with injectables. But unless the egg quality is WAY better, I don't see a point. And besides, I am worried it would take forever to figure out the right dose and I would have canceled cycles- if I react with 7 large follicles on 100mg clomid what will I do with inj? And it will cost me both emotionally, physically and financially in the end if we have to "play around" to get the right combo.

So the plan right now is to meet with the RE and start the process but do this next cycle with the OB because the RE clinic said they may not be able to start this cycle. But meanwhile the RE can get my testing done/re-done and get everything in order before we transfer completely to there. If we can just transfer this next cycle I will just do it but I am trying to make sure I have all bases covered.

I won't lie, its hard leaving the RE. Each cycle our IUIs get cheaper because we "met our deductible" even tho we don't have fertility coverage Last cycle? Cost us $154!!!! Down from $900 when we first started.
BUT I see a huge difference working with an OB after working for years with REs. I miss my RE. I would go back in a heartbeat but it's Kaiser and I no longer have Kaiser. Not sure I would do IVF with Kaiser any way.
And besides, doesn't matter how cheap it is if it doesn't work

Sorry babbling to myself now
Thank you ladies for being my sounding board!!!!
April 4th, 2013, 08:26 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POASíers
I don't want anyone over 35 mislead thinking there is plenty of time. I thought that too. Time does go faster the older you get too, it really does.

That is great the price is right where you are at but if it isn't working then it's not right. It's only money right? You'll make more and your eggs need attention now! HUGS Lucy!
Lucy S. likes this.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569