Acupuncture, injections. More follicles?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sunrise
  • 1 Post By kayakr

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2013, 09:54 AM
stilltrying09
Just had my follow up ultrasound after 3 days of max dosage of injections (4 Bravelle & 2 Menopur). I have one follicle on the left and right . In the past I've usually only had one total. My RE wants me to do 3 more days of injections and another follow up ultrasound on Friday.

The past 3 weeks (except last week) I've gone to acupuncture for fertility once a week. My acup advised me to take a bunch of herbs & supplements that I took for two weeks prior to last week. I stopped because my RE said not to take those.

Today I confirmed with my RE no herbs & supplements from acup at all? She said none at all.

I'm just wondering is it the up in dosage of injections, the actual acup (needles), or the herbs & supplements that allowed my body to produce another follicle in addition to the "one" I always usually have? OR is it that luck is on my side this round?

Any thoughts??
April 16th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have personal experience with this but I read on it as I was considering acupuncture this round myself. From what I understand, as long as the acupuncturist and the RE both know about each other using some types of herbs are fine. Unfortunately some western medicine docs are not willing to work together with eastern medicine providers. And, some eastern medicine providers are not familiar with the drugs and methods of ivf. There is a lot of good quality research on acupuncture and ivf. do whatever you feel will help you- weather it's sticking with the herbs or abstaining from them it's your decision. make sure each is aware of each other.
April 16th, 2013, 01:02 PM
stilltrying09
Sunrise...I think I'll follow my RE's instructions and not take the herbs & supplements. She did say that taking all those pills can counteract the effectiveness of the injections. I'm just hoping it was the actual needle sessions of acup or the max dosage of injection meds that helped.

I wish I knew. I don't have time or patience to go thru trial and error with finding out exactly was it the acup or pills that helped me develop another follicle. Ya know?
April 16th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hear you! It's a great decision, I wish you the best! Kup for Friday's scan.
stilltrying09 likes this.
April 16th, 2013, 07:56 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Hi. I do acupuncture but do not take any of the supplements per my RE. If RE is to learn from each of your cycles including the failed ones you can't be switching things around on him. Good Luck to you!
Lucy S. likes this.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569