Femara experiences, or Femara with injects?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By Lash

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I know Clomid is totally out for FSH ladies, but Femara isn't. I've never tried it and we're trying to go low tech for a while in the next few cycles if we go back to MA. We may even request injects and timed intercourse, no IUI.

Essentially Femara is my first step, and then Femara with some booster shots, and then on to just straight injections, but lower doses obviously, to try and create 2-3, if I can even get a response from a low dose. It took a crap ton of shots to get just 7 follicles for IVF, but in the FSH game, quantity is not the rule, just quality

So looking for any experiences from you lovely ladies with Femara or using it with some booster shots. I know on the Network54 boards, many of the ladies go through IVF and it doesn't work because the drugs are too damaging for our fragile eggs in such high doses, and lower tech approaches seem to be more advantageous for us. Plus we just can't afford IVF!

Would you even wait out a few months of Femara alone or ask to go straight to Follistim etc? We can't afford a ton of monitoring right now which is why I lean towards Femara for a while

Anyone tried Clomid and then switched? What was your experience? I know it typically is not as strong as Clomid in producing number of follicles

April 25th, 2013, 11:15 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
I did it. I would do it again. I hated how emotional I got on it, but that was really the only side effect I got. It was seriously 'boring' in comparison to clomid. I had similar response to clomid on it- got 2 or 3 follicles, and was ready to O earlier than on Clomid. My lining was also fabulous on it.

I'd definitely give it a try since finances are a concern. For me it was the cheapest of all my medicated cycles even with the costs being higher because I had the least amount of monitoring- I had my CD 12 scan, triggered, then did my IUI the next day. All the others required repeat monitoring.

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

April 25th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I recently found this protocol for poor responders for Femera and menotrophins

Just found this site for a clinic in India and it lists a Femara protocol for poor responders:

Day 1.
Day 2. Vaginal ultrasound scan to confirm there is no ovarian cyst. If there is no cyst, we can commence superovulation.
If there is a cyst, we aspirate ( puncture) it and continue with the treatment.
Tab Letrozole ( Femara), 5 mg daily . Inj Menogon ( 75 IU), 8 amp ( 600 IU ) daily
Day 3 Tab Letrozole ( Femara), 5 mg daily . Inj Menogon ( 75 IU), 8 amp ( 600 IU ) daily
Day 4 Tab Letrozole ( Femara), 5 mg daily .Inj Menogon ( 75 IU), 8 amp ( 600 IU ) daily
Day 5 Tab Letrozole ( Femara), 5 mg daily . Inj Menogon ( 75 IU), 8 amp ( 600 IU ) daily
Day 6 Tab Letrozole ( Femara), 5 mg daily . Inj Menogon ( 75 IU), 8 amp ( 600 IU ) daily
Day 7 . Inj Menogon ( 75 IU), 8 amp ( 600 IU ) daily. Inj Orgalutron, 0.25 mg daily
Day 8. Inj Menogon ( 75 IU), 8 amp ( 600 IU ) daily. Inj Orgalutron, 0.25 mg daily
Day 9. Inj Menogon ( 75 IU), 8 amp ( 600 IU ) daily. Inj Orgalutron, 0.25 mg daily
Day 10. Vaginal ultrasound scan to monitor follicular growth
The Menogon and Orgalutron injections continue until the follicles are mature ( approx Day 12). Then HCG is given

Orgalutron is our version of Ganirelix.

Menogon is Menopur here or Repronex

April 25th, 2013, 11:18 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I actually liked Femara - I had the fewest side effects on it, and achieved one pregnancy on it (first cycle trying it) which ended in a loss, but that was due to a trisomy so not really relevant to the med. When I went back on Femara after that loss though it was obvious immediately it wasn't working as well for me...and within 3 cycles we had to move off it entirely. Since it works similarly to Clomid and I'd done hmm at least 4+ cycles on Clomid earlier it could just be my body was over the Clomid/Femara meds entirely.

Follistim was alright, had more side effects on it (made me nauseous & dizzy) and lucked into getting pregnant on it first cycle. My RE really wanted to do it with IUI (so that's an additional cost consideration) as I guess best results - although I think it's a tiny % difference - are better coupled with IUI than TI. But we declined the IUI that cycle and TI worked fine for us.

Its hard to give you advice on timing/meds, but I kinda lean toward you trying Femara for a cycle or two just to see how you respond - it is a lot cheaper than moving to injectables immediately...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 25th, 2013, 11:21 AM
We're also super lucky in that we know our doctor will usually go the distance with ladies like me instead of going straight to donor egg or embryo... although we may have a donor embryo situation on the table that will help take some stress of us in the long run!

I think he'll let us try 6-9 cycles of low tech interventions before we try the donor embryo's... or we may try for awhile and do one FET to see if it takes. Who knows!

April 25th, 2013, 11:25 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
No advice whatsoever...just want to throw in my support, love, prayers, and good thoughts for you, Lauren!
Lash and *Jillian* like this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

April 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have never taken clomid only femara. My first cycle was with the lowest dose and it didn't work for me. Second cycle RE upped the dose and I produced 2 follies. The only side effects for both cycles were slight daily headaches.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
April 25th, 2013, 01:26 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Sorry - never used the Femara. I went from Clomid right to Repronex.

Sounds like an exciting plan you have brewing!
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13

Last edited by kayakr; April 25th, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
April 25th, 2013, 02:39 PM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
I used Femara twice with IUI cycles over 3 years ago. I had less eggs than I had with clomid. But everyone is different, so I hate that it is a "guess and wait" kind of game with how your body will react.

I also have heard the earlier in your cycle you take it, the more eggs you will get, cd1-5 or 3-7 or the later you take it CD5-9 will result in less eggs, but higher quality. (I did CD5-9, I had 1 egg both times, so this seems true, for me, at least).

Maybe talk to your Dr. about the timing of the femara and the injectible boosts, if you go that route.

I'm sorry I'm not much help, but wishing you tons of hope and support!
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

April 25th, 2013, 04:04 PM
No that really is a big help because I forgot that a lot of people take it earlier in the cycle than Clomid and I should make sure to ask about that part

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
*Leah* likes this.

April 26th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
I took clomid with both boys and then the 3 or 4 cycles (4 I think actually) this time. And I am on Femara round 3.
I prefer Femara by far:
I got pg with Femara the first cycle with the m/c.
It has way less side effects for me- Altho Femara gives me a headache (not so much this time tho even tho I upped the dose)
It leave the system quicker- and I totally believe that since side effects don't seem to last the whole cycle like they can with clomid.
My lining is so much better.

I do respond better to clomid but I was also 10 pound lighter so it could be that but I am not sure.
I will be on 7.5mg cd3-7 next cycle.

I would at least try it...
Hope that helped?
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

April 26th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was on Clomid for like forever then took Femara for two cycles. Wasn't monitored for the first Femara cycle so don't know how many follicles but I did ovulate. Femara completely slowed down AF for me which is a huge plus. Like within 24 hours of my first pill I'd be down to only spotting. The side effects were so so so much better! Like Lucy I'm a fan of the shorter half life. I did not respond the second cycle but by then my endo was getting worse and that could have had something to do with it.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
April 26th, 2013, 06:14 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did a few rounds of Clomid, but I wasnt monitored (also didnt get pregnant on them)...then went to Follistim and did get monitored and did get pregnant - but that being said, I havent tried Femera...

At the stage you are at, I'd say trying 1-2 cycle of Femera, what you said made sense about the high doses of meds hurting the fragile eggs...I'm assuming that your RE will do what you want with the cycle at this point so you can call it based on your research?

I'm wondering could you get monitoring through your E2 numbers (I think a good follies are 250-400 per follie) and maybe 1-2 U/Ss so that you could at least have a basis to go on if the egg quality seems ok on Femera or not...if your E2 looks good then go another cycle, if not, you could go on to Follistim at a low dose to try to make 1-2 eggs (would he allow you to do a Follistim cycle with a bit less monitoring since you dont usually make that many eggs/ do they have any donated meds at your clinic that they might be able to supply for you since you would be doing low doses?

I really hope that you get another miracle <3
April 27th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
I only lurk here anymore since my MA baby is 19 months old, but figured i'd share my experience with you since it is Femara related. I took Femara either CD 3-7 or 5-9 (i'm so sorry I can't remember, I think it was 5-9. Anyway, the way my RE explained it, clomid is supposed to produce many follicles but most of them will be poor quality while femara is supposed to produce 1-2 very good quality follies. I had one very good quality follie. I'm not certain what day we triggered on but I just went and looked back at my blog and we triggered when it was 22mm x 22mm and I got pregnant that cycle with timed intercourse! Clomid just gave me huge cysts and I never O'd with it. I have PCOS and stage 3 and 4 endo. My endo wasn't nearly as bad then though.

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

April 27th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Super Mommy
Sorry, no advice or experience... just wanted to send you TONS of love, support and prayers ♥
TTC#1 for 1 1/2 years~ DS, DJ (3) Conceived naturally using acupuncture and herbs
TTC #2 for 1 1/2 yrs~DH(3 mths on Clomid&Olive Leaf Extract)
Our 1st Clomid & TI cycle August 2013 -BFP on 9/08/13!!!!!!!!

April 27th, 2013, 08:29 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I did 3 rounds of Clomid and 2 rounds of Femara and did not have success with either. I had bad side effects on both. I was so mean and moody, and had a constant, horrible headache. The Femara also made my joints hurt really bad. The Femara wasn't quite as bad as the Clomid, but still wasn't the most fun drug to be on.

I did one round of Follistim (75iu) with Ovidrel (250), and that's what got me pregnant now. If I need MA to conceive again in the future, I'm going to request to just go straight to Follistim. I did not have any crazy side effects...just one day with a bad headache, compared to nearly 10 days with Clomid and Femara.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search