Need Help/ Opinions

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By Sunrise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Impatientlywaiting's Avatar Veteran
So as I've told some of you ladies i recently had a laptascopy and had significant endo cleaned up. RE gave us 3 months of trying on our own and he would do "1 or 2 AT MOST IUI cycles with injectables" before moving to IVF. We're coming up on the end of the 3 months so DH and I had a long talk about what to do next. (By the way I always O on my own) We've done IUIs and one of those cycles was with injectables before. DH (kind of to my surprise) said he doesnt want to do more IUIs just because he doesnt have much confidence in them. He wants to move right into IVF but will in the end leave the decision up to me. I'm really not sure what the right decision is. Need support/ suggestions!
April 30th, 2013, 06:48 PM
cassthomas852's Avatar Veteran
I never did IUI, went straight to IVF after two laps to remove scar tissue, possible endo, and left fallopian tube. My RE said that with only one fallopian tube, IUI wouldn't give us much of a chance. Some say IUI's are only a 20% chance (same as TTC naturally), whereas others say the chance is higher with injectibles.

Sorry I can't give you better advise or suggestions, but I say if you and DH are ready for IVF, go for it. Especially if you think IUI isn't going to work. Does your insurance cover IUI or IVF?

Me- 32
DH - 35
TTC for over 6 years.

Jan 2013 - IVF #1
May 2013 - FET #1

6/7/13 - First ultrasound - Twins!
12/20/13 - Kayden and Caleb were born at 34 weeks!

April 30th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately no.. We've paid for all of our IUIs and meds out of pocket and ivf will be as well. How did your IVF go?
April 30th, 2013, 07:04 PM
If your paying out of pocket then I would go with your gut feeling. If you think IUI's won't be a success then go with IVF. No sense in "wasting" money on IUIs if they won't work. Maybe try one IUI and if that doesn't work then go for IVF.

My first IVF was a BFN. We just started an FET cycle, so hoping this is the one! I think when you do a fresh transfer right after a retrieval, your body is so stressed from all the hormones and the retrieval. We only transferred one embryo, so we are looking to transfer two this time.

Me- 32
DH - 35
TTC for over 6 years.

Jan 2013 - IVF #1
May 2013 - FET #1

April 30th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Good luck!! Hope it all goes well! I'm hoping to save a few embryos to freeze for the future. What's the typical cost of storing the Frozen ones?
April 30th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would also say go with your gut. If you don't have much confidence in trying IUI again then go for IVF. Fingers crossed for you!!!

April 30th, 2013, 08:32 PM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
I'd be hesitant to do IUIs with injects if he really is more inclined to recommend IVF. were your previous cycles with oral meds or injects?

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

April 30th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
In the same spot but more IUIs... Its tough! I have gotten some great advice tho here!
Melissa said she never regretted it and that was an ah-ha moment for me. I need to do what I won't regret later.
Good luck!!!!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

May 1st, 2013, 04:44 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I was looking at the numbers one IVF was only slightly more expensive than like 3 IUIs with injectables, and had about the same success rate. If it didn't work but you were able to do a FET, the cost would be even closer to that of an IUI but still have a better chance. Of course a lot of that depends on costs and success rates at your clinic, age, etc. For me it didn't seem like doing IUIs was worth the money.

There is no "right" decision. It just depends on what you are comfortable with. Obviously people get pregnant with IUIs or they wouldn't do them. And as we've seen here way too many IVFs fail. There's a trick I learned when you have two options and you aren't sure which one you want. Flip a coin, saying you will do which ever option corresponds to the side it lands on. While the coin is in the air you might find yourself wishing it to fall on one side or the other, and then you'll know.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
May 1st, 2013, 05:50 AM
Tasha said it perfectly and the coin idea sounds like a good one!

The cost of freezing ranges with different clinics and storage banks. For me, the initial cost of cryopreservation was $1500 and the first year storage was $360. If you only transfer one embryo after your retrieval, the initial fee is reduced to $750 plus the first year storage of $360. Insurance doesn't cover this at all. Luckily for us, we paid the higher amount up front, and ended up transferring only one embryo, so we had a credit on our account that went towards our FET cycle.

Me- 32
DH - 35
TTC for over 6 years.

Jan 2013 - IVF #1
May 2013 - FET #1

May 1st, 2013, 06:31 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Like Tasha said, there is no "right" answer...the best answer for you and DH is the one that you can both be 1000% excited about.

We did IUIs, but only with Clomid. When those failed (we have no known fertility issues), our choices were injectables or IVF, and we chose IVF. The success rates are so much higher, so that is definitely something to consider, especially if you are under a time crunch with your endo.

I'm sorry there are no easy answers...I hope you and DH can come up with a great plan!
Sunrise likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

May 1st, 2013, 11:13 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
I agree with KMH. Whatever you and DH can agree on is the right answer! You two are a team in this and you both need to be "okay" with the decisions. You're relationship is what is number one!
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
May 1st, 2013, 01:36 PM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
I, personally, felt our IUI's were a waste of time and money. We did 5 and never a hint of a bfp.

We were unexplained, I ovulate on my own, DH has sometimes good, sometimes great and sometimes lazy swimmers. I honestly think we might have some "sperm can't penetrate the egg issue" because we've done IVF twice with ICSI (where they inject the sperm directly into the egg) and we got pg both times.

We got to a point where we said "we're going to try this and know that we are donig EVERYTHING humanly possible to get pg" and you just can't regret that. If it didn't work, at least we knew we tried everything in our power to have our own baby.

The frozen embryo storage is 60$ a month at our clinic. The first year was included in our IVF price, then it is transferred to a long term storage facility.

There is a place in Chicago that gives away a free IVF cycle on Thanksgiving each year. How far are you from there?

It is a hard decision to make, but once you decide the path, you will have tremendous relief. Best of luck in your decision
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

May 1st, 2013, 03:37 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f5...l#post27332124 (So how did you decide to finally do IVF and how did you come to peace with it?)
^ that was my thread asking...

Oh and I forgot to add- The clinic I spoke with said it was $700yr for storage with them
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

May 1st, 2013, 06:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
First off I hope you get your bfp this cycle. With regard to your decision making- I agree that you should find what you're both most comfortable with. A great friend told me something like this right after my mc when I was afraid to try again "if you don't try, you definitely won't have a baby, if you do- maybe you will."

I hope I've communicated what I'm trying to say-
kayakr likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 07:40 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Someone once told me. "You'll never regret having a baby, but you may regret that you didn't try everything to have a baby".
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
May 2nd, 2013, 08:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i am lurking here. my DIL was a member of this board for a while. she had surgery for endo and it was stage 4. her doctor told her (and us) that she would never conceive on her own or with IUI's because the endo causes a poison in the fluid between the ovary and the fallopian tube that kills the egg before it ever even gets there. she had so many IUI's and they all failed, of course. they decided to go for IVF and got pregnant with twins on the first and only try. the point is, she could carry and maintain a pregnancy but she could not start one because of the endo. i also vote you go straight to the IVF and not waste money on IUI's. i wish you well on this journey.

~~terre~~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search