Fresh vs Frozen DE IVF cycle

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MandyEllen
  • 1 Post By Gamer_Princess

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2013, 08:15 AM
MandyEllen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had our appointment yesterday with the psychologist to get our stamp of approval to continue with the DE IVF.

Going into it, we were set on using the My Egg Bank frozen eggs. They give you 6 frozen eggs from their bank for a total of $13,000 oop. (My insurance covers the rest.) We could start asap because there is no mock cycle necessary.

The psychologist told us that my RE office has 15 donors waiting to be matched with people at this time. In a fresh cycle, we'd get as many eggs as the donor would produce. She told us she has had as many as 45 eggs retrieved from a donor and as few as 5 (min requirement to do ER). That cycle costs $13,000 oop plus $9,000 up front for the donor's meds that I would then be reimbursed by my insurance company. The other aspect of a fresh cycle is that I have to do a mock cycle and then sync my cycle with the donor's (can take 2-3 months) in order to do an ER/transfer.

She gave us 3 profiles of donors at the RE office as examples. She did show us some pictures of some donors to give us an idea of what we'd be choosing from.

My other issue is that my work is really slow right now. I'm afraid that I could be laid off sometime this summer. That would mean paying for Cobra to keep this coverage for this process if we do a fresh cycle...and will Cobra be available for coverage of the birth?!? Will DH's work's insurance consider pregnancy as a pre-existing condition if I need to switch over to his?!?! (He's calling to find out, but currently he's on my insurance because it's such a better policy).

So...DH and I are weighing all of the information. We are going to talk more about it tonight. Hopefully, we can reach some sort of decision to keep moving forward.
7/12/13 - 16 dpo beta=825
7/19/13 - 23 dpo beta=18,870
7/26/13 - 30 dpo beta=72,091

May 22nd, 2013, 09:13 AM
~~MeeMee~~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mandy,

I’m so excited for you that things are moving forward. Even though I’m not ready to move forward, I’ve talked a little with my RE clinic (one of the nurse, not my actual RE) about using frozen or fresh DE. My RE clinic, strongly recommends fresh, they are not opposed to me using frozen if that’s what I want, but the nurse said in their experience success rates has been better with fresh…but I don’t know in the back of my mind I’m thinking it means more money for them, so that’s why they prefer the fresh DE cycles, but I’m cynical that way. I like the idea of the frozen better, mainly because like you pointed out, it can be much quicker.

Please keep us informed of what you all decided, and if you don’t mind what pushed you all to the choice you made.

Sorry about the added stress with work, hope things pick up and there won’t be a need for layoffs.

Do you mind, if I ask what insurance you have? Its sounds awesome! My insurance covered a lot for my OE IVF cycles, but almost nothing for DE cycles.

BABY BOY due June 6

Me 40 DH 42 with an amazing 15yo DS
TTC #2 NTNP starting in 2009
actively TTC (BBT and OPKs) 2011
natural BFP Feb 2012, ending in mmc Apr with d&c in May
IVF Sep 2012, 4 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized, but showed abnormal
growth, so not suitable for transfer
Nov 2012 IVF take 2 = 3 embryos, but due to concerns with lining unable to transfer
Jan 2013 endometrial biopsy = normal
Mar FET transferred 2 beautiful embryos, but unfortunately BFN
moving to donor eggs fall of 2013
Septemeber 30, 2013 - surprise BFP while waiting for DE
May 22nd, 2013, 09:34 AM
I work for an international commercial real estate company who owns their own insurance. It's called Qual Care, but my company picks what they want to insure. Who knows if the HR Manager at the time they made this up was going thru TTCMA and decided to have it covered. Compared to all other insurances (from what I hear), mine is unbelievable. We even get 3 teeth cleanings a year. They have covered all of my MA stuff from IUI to IVF. They cover everything for my DE IVF cycles except the fee for the donor & cryopreservation.

Right now, because of my work situation, I'm leaning toward using the egg bank. DH and I need to discuss it tonight and see what he's thinking. The frozen egg bank guarantees 2 good quality embryos to transfer and if you don't get that then they give you 6 more with no fee.

May 22nd, 2013, 10:23 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POASers
My clinic only offered a fresh cycle. It did take 2 months for DE and me to sync up and get ready to cycle together. With a fresh cycle you also have the risk of the DE changing her mind. Our first choice did not work out and we ended up using our 3rd choice. You also risk DE not responding like they hope. I used a 'proven" donor and she still only gave us 6 good egss and only 3 fertilized and only two made it to transfer with no snowbabies. Her "proven" cycle the couple was pregnant with twins that where just born and she had 6 snow babies left. So we thought for sure we would have some frosties but we don't. DE was on the same protocol she was on the first time. So really I got the same as you will with your frozen 2 egg guarantee.

Frozen will be much faster cycle. You wont have to worry about her backing out. Is that guarantee include 2 eggs that have survived the thaw? Also is there "proven" frozen DE? I would def make sure you have a "proven" because you want to make sure those eggs are of quality.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13

Last edited by kayakr; May 22nd, 2013 at 10:25 AM.
May 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
From my understanding about the egg bank, they pull any egg lots from availability if the first cycle results in a BFN. I don't know about "proven" as in they've produced a live birth. They've also said that they are 6 mature eggs that are tested to make it to freeze, but that doesn't mean that the thaw (in order to fertilize) won't impact them. We are guaranteed 2 good quality embryos to transfer from them. That also doesn't mean that we'll only get 2 good quality embryos...we could get 6 (I doubt that though).
My mind is scrambled at the potential of using fresh eggs and having enough to do a FET if necessary (or in the future for a sibling).
I was prepared for an emotional day yesterday. I wasn't prepared leaving there having to make these decisions since we were set on using the egg bank going into the appointment.

May 22nd, 2013, 11:34 AM
Defiantly a lot to think about. With your age it would be nice to have some frosties waiting for you, specially for a sibling. With my age the only reason I was praying for frosties is in case IVF one didn't work.

I wonder how a frozen egg that is thawed and fertilized and then frozen again can hold up to a second thaw? That might be a good question to ask them as well.
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
May 22nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
That is a good question to ask.

I know right now that we say "we just want one baby." I have a feeling that we'd want a sibling, whether full genetic sibling or if we have to use another donor in the future...it'll probably happen. So, good frozen embryos are kind of important if we are lucky enough to get any.

May 22nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
Gamer_Princess's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no experience with this but I think the frozen option would be best. With the potential of having 6 embies to use increases your odds greatly Also like Gretchen said the fresh donor could pull out

Also if a sibling is wanted in the future you could always use the bank again or have the other embies that did not get used, right? Another thing is you never know what the future holds and you could have the same insurance to do a fresh cycle in the future. I would rather do the least costly up front and then move to another means if I had too.

BUT as always this is your decision I cannot wait to hear what you decide. Thinking of you

May 22nd, 2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the input, Gamer Princess! I am leaning in my head toward using the frozen egg bank, but I want to see what DH thinks tonight. I think part of my decision is the strong possibility of losing my job some time this summer and therefore my insurance would be gone (or pay Cobra). The egg bank goes a lot quicker than a fresh cycle. Going into our appointment yesterday, we were definite on the egg bank. It's when we were told that there are fresh donors just waiting to be matched that we started to consider that avenue. All the JM ladies will definitely be the first to know what we decide.

May 22nd, 2013, 01:33 PM
Ask the frozen and refrozen after fertilized questions to them.

My vote is the frozen donor so you can move fast in case you don't have this awesome insurance in a few months. Cobra will still be cheaper then having to pay for a full IVF cycle out of pocket for sure! It might be worth paying cobra till you get your BFP no matter what.
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
May 22nd, 2013, 02:36 PM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
You have a hard decision to make! I just want to wish you the best in what you decide. the other ladies gave you great advice.

Typically, COBRA is for 18 months and you stay on your employer's insurance, only YOU are paying the premium. So, while you'd have to pay your employer for that ins every month, it is still all the same benefits you currently have. I did they before I had Mallory as my employment changed and I wanted to keep that insurance, since Pregnancy is a pre-existing condition in Wisconsin (each state is different)...So, as long as the birth is w/in 18 months of your insurance ending, they should cover everything...although, obviously check with your state, but I *think* cobra is pretty standard.

Best of luck Mandy...I'm here to cheer you on!

And I have to chime in that I have a friend that did DE and they got 21 eggs, they have used about 8 of them and are currently 20wks with #2..finding out the sex today. I did IVF thinking I'd be happy with just one baby, however, that was so not true. I wanted another one ever more,( if that is possible) , because I knew what I had, wanted more, and I want a sibling for my daughter. I think fresh has a slightly higher success rate, but it would be so much faster to do the frozen...I'm sorry this is such a hard decision....I don't think I'm helping at all LOL!
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

Last edited by *Leah*; May 22nd, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
May 23rd, 2013, 05:59 AM
Leah...I know I'd want a sibling for my child. I really, really want a baby & know that I need to take it one step at a time, but I'll probably be coming back for more at some point.

DH & I discussed everything last night. We had a great conversation (he's not usually a very good communicator & I trample all over him with my opinions and thoughts), but we were very constructive in what both of our thoughts are. We are going to pay the $500 today to look at the frozen donor profiles. We are going to see if there's anyone there who stands out to us. We are going to try with the frozen eggs because it is cheaper and faster to cycle. We are praying that this is our answer and that we're making the right decision to lead us to a BFP.

Every aspect of TTCMA is so difficult, so why should this be any different??? Making this decision and choosing a donor is just another step closer to us bringing home a baby! Thanks to all of you girls who weighed in. You really helped me.
*Leah* likes this.

May 23rd, 2013, 06:34 AM
Gamer_Princess's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so happy you made a decision I cannot wait to hear how the screening goes
MandyEllen likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search