Where Do We Begin?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By *JenJen*
  • 1 Post By *JenJen*
  • 1 Post By kayakr
  • 1 Post By ~~MeeMee~~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Hi, I'm new to the site here. I guess this section of the board would be where my hubby and I would fit. He has two biological children, and I have none. When he was married the first time, he got a vasectomy. Now we want to have a child together, and I'm really wanting to be a mom. I'm 32 years old, and he's 39. We have to get a vasectomy reversal done first before we can have a kid, and I'm finding myself getting a little bit depressed because I have no idea where we're going to come up with the money for the surgery. It's going to cost us $8,000. The insurance company won't pay for it, and the doctor doesn't accept payment plans or care credit. Does anyone have any ideas about how to raise money for this kind of surgery? I set up a page on gofundme dot com, and have met with a little tiny bit of success, but it feels like just a grain of sand has been removed from the whole beach. How do I keep my spirits up about this? At this point I don't feel like I'm ever going to get a chance to have a child. It makes it even harder when all I hear about is friends and relatives having kids.

Last edited by tigergumby; June 20th, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
June 20th, 2013, 01:42 PM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
welcome to the board. I am ttc post VR myself. Saving the money is not fun. Cut out everything fun from your budget, get second jobs, take lunch every day, etc. can really help save those pennies.

Can I ask how many years post Vasectomy he is? The farther out you are, the greater the odds of it not working are. I've been there. I know how difficult it is to have to deal with that. Have you consulted with another Urologist about the surgery? Is the 8K just for the reversal or is that for the reversal plus TESE banking?

DH's counts post surgery have fluctuated greatly. We've gone from okay to abysmal to almost zero to back up to decent levels. We actually chose to move on to using donor sperm and doing IUI's at one point because our urologist told us that there was such low odds of us having a biological child together without IVF. DH's counts weren't even high enough to do IUI. I do not regret that decision because having a child together was more important to us than biology. We still would use a donor if necessary. It's not for everyone, but it is a viable option and possibly much cheaper than the surgery(donor sperm can be purchase for about $450 a vial and then whatever meds you need and monitoring for a cycle).

Feel free to PM me privately if you are not comfortable discussing this further on the board.
KMH likes this.

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

June 20th, 2013, 02:04 PM
My hubby is just about 4 years post vasectomy. The urologist we saw has a good professional reputation, and told us that our chances were fairly decent of being able to conceive. The 8k is just for the surgery I believe. We haven't really discussed the donor issue. How do you go about doing that and getting a good batch of genes? (If that's the right way to say it. lol.)
June 20th, 2013, 02:16 PM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
We chose to go through a sperm bank. When you go through a bank, rigorous testing has already been performed to ensure that the donor is disease free, has no genetic defects, etc. You can see some basic information about them- basic info on looks, family, personality, etc. and for a small fee can get more info in most cases.

that 8K seems really steep to me. The places we considered ranged from 1500-5k, and we paid in the middle of that. Obviously prices have increased since then, but I'd definitely consider getting a second opinion. I also would not get a reversal without getting TESE banking done just in case you need to move to IVF.

Personally, if 8K is the cheapest you can find, I'd be more inclined to do a DS IUI or go straight to IVF.

Before you proceed with the reversal, is there anything that would keep you from conceiving easily? Have you had any testing or bloodwork done? We had to have a signed note from my doctor in order for DH to proceed with the reversal with the program we went with. I'd get a blood panel and test your AMH, FSH, progesterone, e2, thyroid, etc. to make sure you are healthy and not wasting time as well.
KMH likes this.

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

June 20th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I have a doctor's appointment set up to go get my testing done. I've had one miscarriage in the past, but have been really careful about not getting pregnant over the years. It's all so daunting. I can't help but feel a little jealous of women who don't have to go through anything difficult to have a kid.
June 20th, 2013, 03:26 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I have nothing of substance to add, just want to wish you luck on your journey!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

June 21st, 2013, 06:32 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Hello and welcome. I am not qualified to comment on this issue but I wanted to throw this out to you.

Many men with zero sperm in their ejaculation can still have sperm that can be aspirated. Maybe this will be an option rather then the reversal?

Sperm Aspiration Treatment | Infertility Center of St. Louis

$8000.00 for the reversal is a lot of money. $8000.00 gets you half way to the cost of what IVF/ICSI would cost. With this Sperm Aspiration procedure maybe the reversal wouldn't be needed. I have no idea the cost on a aspiration procedure would cost, but these would be good questions to ask so that you know all of your options. IVF will also give you your best Odds for successful BFP.

Again - welcome and I am sorry that you guys have to go through this but if you hang out on the board long enough you will see your not alone!
Sunrise likes this.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
June 21st, 2013, 06:45 AM
~~MeeMee~~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to say hello and wish you luck on your journey.

Oh, and to help raise money for the TCCMA…like JenJen said, cut out all the extras like cable and eating out, forgo buying new clothes as long as possible, if needed shop at less expensive stores and consider Goodwill or other thift stores. Also, if you have “extra” things around the house sell at yard says or on ebay or craigslist. Make sure the savings gets put into an account that you DON’T touch until you have enough to proceed.
MandyEllen likes this.

BABY BOY due June 6

Me 40 DH 42 with an amazing 15yo DS
TTC #2 NTNP starting in 2009
actively TTC (BBT and OPKs) 2011
natural BFP Feb 2012, ending in mmc Apr with d&c in May
IVF Sep 2012, 4 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized, but showed abnormal
growth, so not suitable for transfer
Nov 2012 IVF take 2 = 3 embryos, but due to concerns with lining unable to transfer
Jan 2013 endometrial biopsy = normal
Mar FET transferred 2 beautiful embryos, but unfortunately BFN
moving to donor eggs fall of 2013
Septemeber 30, 2013 - surprise BFP while waiting for DE
June 22nd, 2013, 03:31 PM
Super Mommy
Just wanted go say hi!
June 22nd, 2013, 03:43 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
I have nothing of substance to add, just want to wish you luck on your journey!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

June 22nd, 2013, 04:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm with kayakr. Investigate aspiration and ivf/ICSI. Especially if the reversal is that expensive. Best of luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search