Second failed IUI.. whats next? New Dr?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CarolinaLife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2014, 05:38 PM
BellaNella3's Avatar Member
Unfortunately my second IUI with 2 inseminations failed. I swear their timing was off because I didn't feel the ovulation pains until much later then what they said is average. But anyway, I'm starting to think..maybe I go get a second opinion, there is a other center that has equally or better REs and a friend of mine went there. I like our RE and he knows his stuff but i feel like after 2 failed IUIs maybe it's time to venture out? My pros with going to a new RE are maybe new approaches, new insight and a fresh perspective. My cons with going to a new Dr are having to go through all the testing, explanations, gain comfort, etc. Did all you stay with the same RE or change and had success?
April 21st, 2014, 06:47 PM
CarolinaLife's Avatar Super Mommy
Have you talked to your RE about your concerns with the timing? I would definitely see what he/she had to say about it, and what their plan would be for the next go round. Then, see if it is enough, or if you need someone new. I dont have advice from any personal experience, but I think you have to with what makes you feel the most comfortable.

Good luck with all this. There are always so many many decisions to make. Thinking of you !

April 21st, 2014, 08:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with CarolinaLife! I would talk to your RE about your concerns first. I'm sorry your IUI didn't work ((HUGS))!!
October 2013- SA revealed low motility--referred to RE
January 2014- DHs repeat SA came back "normal"! I was diagnosed with PCOS
February 2014- IUI #1 on Valentine's Day with 2 mature follicles- BFN
March 2014- BCP to clear up cysts
April 2014- IUI #2 on 4/9/14 with 3 mature follicles and 3 catching up! BFP at 10dpiui!!!!!! So thankful!!! Beta #1 @ 13 DPO- 167; Beta #2 @ 15 DPO- 384!

April 21st, 2014, 11:23 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
Did you do trigger? If so when did you have your IUI?I think if something tells you to try another RE you should consider it for sure!!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

April 22nd, 2014, 11:09 AM
jshizz's Avatar PMA all day!
I left my RE after my first failed IUI, but that is because I didn't really do my research on her stats, etc. prior to starting with her. She was just the closest to me. The ladies here helped educate me and I am not with a better group. However, I just had my second failed IUI with them. But, I trust them and their expertise, I am not getting pregnant due to some other reason, not because of something they are doing wrong.

Secondary Unexplained Infertility

August 2000 (natural)
Nathan Albert 3/19/02 (from ex-husband)
October 2006 (D&C)
NTNP since November 2010 (off BCP due to migraines)
TTC since 12/3/11 (our wedding day) Started fertility testing summer 2012 (HSG, SA, blood panels, SIS: all normal)
TTCMA January 2014
IUI #1 - 1/20/14 - w/ 50 mg clomid
New RE!
IUI #2 - 3/23/14 - w/ 75 iU Gonal-f
IUI #3 - 5/16/14 - w/ 150 iU Gonal-f

Back to plain ole' TTC

April 22nd, 2014, 12:13 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
IF you feel like you are getting inadequate care or your doc isn't listening and responding to your concerns, then by all means seek another opinion.

If the frustration is just with the lack of pregnancy, I'm not sure I'd jump ship yet. Even with injects an IUI, the chances of pregnancy are not fabulous. Most docs like to give a protocol (like injects + IUI) 4-6 chances before moving on.

How big have your follies been at trigger, when did you do the IUIs, and when did you feel O pains?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 22nd, 2014, 02:32 PM
mrs.ceebee.0915's Avatar waiting for a miracle...
I agree that it all depends on how your doctor reacts to your questions. If he is willing to work with you on changing your protocol or when you trigger and you like your current doc, then stay with him. If he isn't willing to let you play a apart in your medical choices and you have another good doc to try, then change! I wouldn't change just due to the failed IUI's though. There can be other things to try or other things to test for that are in the way instead. A lot to think about, but only you can decide if you want to switch or not. I say go with your gut once you talk things out with your current doc.

ttc and start our family since august 2011 <3

Starting a new cycle in January...
April 23rd, 2014, 12:05 PM
BellaNella3's Avatar Member
Thanks ladies!

I have a consultation with my current RE tomorrow. He said if this last IUI didnt work, then we needed to start exploring and conduct more blood tests to figure out the issue. I'm thinking he will start looking into my thyroid, pituitary gland, etc due to my extremely low estrogen/progesterone. He feels it would be a waste of money to probably do another IUI and said it's better to save in case you just go for the IVF.

I had 1 follicle at 19mm and about 2 at 15mm. They messed with my injections this month to try and figure out the magic dose. My first IUI i did 37.5mg everyday and grew slowly but I had a better ovulation (my progesterone was a 12 at the CD21 check). He said he wanted to bump up the first 3 days to 75mg this last cycle and then drop to 37.5mg. This time i reacted too well and produced about 5 follicles but they were all around 14-15mm. He was going to cancel the cycle but my estrodiol levels were only 187. He said the chance of all follicles releasing is super slim, so we kept going at 37.5mg and then did the trigger shot on a Thursday. Did one insemination Friday and one saturday..however I felt the O pains on a Monday. My CD21 progesterone was only 2.7.

The first IUI we did the trigger shot on a Tuesday, IUI Wednesday and i felt the O pains on Friday. Hence why i think i trigger later..

We will see what he says tomorrow ...blah.
April 23rd, 2014, 12:23 PM
CarolinaLife's Avatar Super Mommy
Good luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking about you. And of course... Be sure to update! I really hope he has a great plan lined up!
KMH likes this.

April 23rd, 2014, 01:57 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Sounds like a good plan. I would definitely want to investigate the cause of the low E!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 23rd, 2014, 02:08 PM
mrs.ceebee.0915's Avatar waiting for a miracle...
Good luck at your next appt!!

ttc and start our family since august 2011 <3

Starting a new cycle in January...
April 23rd, 2014, 10:14 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
Good luck!

BTW what have your testing levels been blood work wise (like FSH, AMH, thyroid)?

Also what does your RE say about you Oing later? I know typically the latest is 48 hours after.
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

April 25th, 2014, 04:23 AM
Liyana's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi bellaNella3,

I feel very sorry that you have been through 2 failed IUI`s,...
I can only tell you from my experience...I have also a super fertility private clinic I really liked my RE (a male) but......my first IVF failed and my FET failed... I took some time of.... I was thinking...
I need to change to clinic.. and I also did it!
Now I am in a public clinic...and hoping for success!! I believe changes can be good.
How did you apt went? Any update? wishing you good luck

IVF/ICSI #3
ER: 17.06.14 (retrived 12 eggs, 6 fertilized)
ET: 19.06.14 ( Two, 4-cell embies transfered) BFN!! 3 frosties
BETA: 14dp2dt, 03.07.14 Negative

IVF#4
FET 17.09.14 (2 beautiful blastocysts transferred). BFP 6dpt.

BETA: 14dpt,1.10.14 2300! Second BETA 21dpt 08.10.14 14610!!!! 1 baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search