Semen Analysis

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2006, 11:48 PM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe
This topic is for any information on a Semen Analysis.

October 4th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Our expereince has been the DH is given a sterile container and a sheet to fill out that asks when he last BD, was there any spileage, has he smoked, done drugs, or had any alcohol recently. He must abstain from any activities that can release sperm for 2-3 days.

DH has been able to give the sample at home and drive it to the lab (as long as it arrives within the hour). The trick is keeping the sample warm so I put it in a paper bag and he drives with the sample container under his arm pit to give it body warmth.

We've found that while DH's sperm count and motility are well above normal ranges, his morpholgy is a bit low (13% instead of the 20% they like to see). Sperm is constantly regenerating and every 3 months new sperm is produced so environmental and lifestyle factors can affect sperm production. If an abnormal result is found additional SA's will be ordered to rule out a problem vs. just a bad test and an "off" day.
November 16th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to iwantababy19
We had to have this one done and since we live 30 mintues from the hospital and we had to have it there in 30 minutes and that was the wait with registration and everything, so DH had to do it at the hospital...lol

We get to the hospital and I register and DH goes to the restroom, after registering and everything I walk back and stand outside the restroom door. DH reaches me the cup and there were all kinds of people standing around, and men waiting to get in the bathroom, he makes me grab the cup and stick it down in my purse ( I had some of the hand warmers down in there) so we have to wait outside of the lab door and the woman was gone to lunch and we didnt know how long it would be but if it was ast 30 minutes DH would have to do it again. He as about to die, he thought for sure he was going to have to go back into that nasty restroom.....lol....so the woman comes like 15 minutes later and she takes the cup and DH has to fill out a paper, with really embarresing questions.....and that was the end. I had to go back to my DR and get the results. in which was completley fine!!
November 17th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The other day DH had to give a back up sample to freeze for our upcoming IVF. Since we were already at the clinic for an injection class at 8 he had to get his sample there because the lab did not take samples to freeze until 10. The nurse sent us in front of two men's restrooms and told us he could go in one of them. Oh my gosh! It was a room with a toilet, sink and leather chair! ROFL. Poor guy. I felt bad for him.

April 21st, 2007, 11:42 AM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Melissa*
oh boy.... this is a fun topic!! Dh and I went to the hospitol to pick up the cup intending on going home and then bringing it back... but we new once we got there that we couldn't possibly make it back in time and didn't want to risk it... so we decided to do it there... ONLY they didn't have ANY ROOMS!!!! They said "just try to find as much privacy as you can" ??!!!! So, giggling we went back to the covered parking lot in the hospitol and cleared a spot in the back of our van and got to buisness... praise the Lord for tinted windows!!! Afterwards i wanted to keep it warm so i shoved the cup down my cleavage.. they must h ave thought we were SO classy
they called back later and said...
Nurse: "I'm sorry to tell you this, but it looks like DH still has some sperm left.... we will need to take another sample"
Me: ...ok, that's good....???
Nurse: This was Post Vasectomy right??
Me: NO!!!!!!! we are TTC!!!
Nurse: oh, i'll call you back

Later that day....

Nurse: Well the doctor said it was really low, abnormal
Me: ok... what is "low"?
Nurse: I don't know, he just said it was Low.

INCOMPETENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple days later i finally find out his volume was low at 1.8 instead of 2.... which is no big deal cuz that's usually due to "method of retrieval" His actual count was 63 Million per Mil. with 62% of normal Morphology and NO abnormal activity.... So everything was FINE! and here I was balling my eyes out...

Needless to say, i was relived, but angry at the staff...
May 5th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Bebo's Avatar Veteran
My hubby's gotta do his on Monday so I am hoping he spills none!

ETA: He managed to get it all in there!
Dx with MFI 2007
Looking into IVF 2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search