Accupuncture

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2006, 03:26 AM
SUNSHINE08's Avatar Veteran
Hi

I found a small article in one of the UK papers today and have pulled out a couple of the key sentances below.

' A woman who feared she would never have a child after 4 years of failed IVF treatment has given birth, thanks to accupuncture......Ms Eden started acupuncture in spring last year and 6 months later was pregnant'

There were no details of how often she had the accupuncture, but I am going to try and look on the internet to see if there is anything else on this.

This is the second article I have read about acupuncture helping women to conceive.

The first article related to a women who miscarried 3 times and during her fourth pregnancy she has accupuncture and went on to deliver a healthy baby.

If I don't fall pg in the next 6 months (Have just started clomid) I think I will give accupuncture a shot.
February 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
I have heard of acupuncture doing a good job. A lot of miscarriages are due to stress and too much toxins according to the wholistic medicine point of view. There's more to it that that such as balancing the energy system in the body and opening up energy blockages, and so forth. Though I worked in the field of wholistic health care (Massage therapist), I can say for myself that I didn't like it. I think mainly because of my loss of sensation that I briefly had from one of my MS attacks, that now one side of me is just too sensitive due to over compensation. The needles hurt my one side. But for most people, it doesn't hurt.

Don't expect the first session to go as smoothly as you like. Often it's a little uncomfortable mainly because your body isn't used to it, but it shouldn't hurt. Make sure you are completely honest with the acupuncturist and let him or her know exactly how it felt to you. That way they know if they need to change their approach. In this field of health care, it's extremely important to let them know what you need and how you feel. If you don't tell them how you feel, then there little chance things will get better. Let them tell you if you need to keep trying the same method before they change, or they may just give you other options if things are not working out right. We wholistic people really do want our clients feeling as comfortable as possible while giving the best results possible. We also don't have a problem referring our clients if someone else can give a better treatment. Good health care people do not feel the need to compete if we are not able to help our clients feel their best.

I think if you want to give it a try, it's definitely worth it. It's not for everyone, but it's something that you should try just to see how you react to it. There are other methods out there that can help your overall well being. If you find you are unable to handle the needles or they are just too uncomfortable, I will suggest you look into someone that does Amma Therapy Massage. It's the Asian massage that mimics acupuncture, but instead of needles, they use their fingers. The points used in acupuncture are the same points used in Amma. Since some areas are not allowed to be manipulated by fingers, such as the spine, those points are then treated differently, but no point is unavailable to be used if it is what's need for the treatment. It's not painful but the some of the more sensitive points may cause you to feel some pressure. The massage is gentle but VERY relaxing and energizing at the same time. Someone who is licensed in Amma Therapy is difficult to find since it's not a common massage technique, but I have learned it and I have used it. It find it very comforting and very effective. In fact...I may just go look for one myself while I'm trying to conceive as well!

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
March 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be using accupuncture for both IUIs, an hour before. From what I understand, it helps you relax & allows your body to accept the procedure better. I am looking forward to it & will post my experience tomorrow. I do know it worked for my mom when she quit smoking after 30 yrs of doing it. She only had 1 session & hasn't smoked in 4 yrs. AMAZING b/c my mom has tried several other times to stop.

March 27th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had done a couple accupuncture sessions with one practicioner back in Dec. He said he could treat fertility but this was not his specialty. So I stopped going to him. Recently I asked my RE about his opinion on it and he was all for it. He gave me the name of a woman he regularly uses, she actually comes to his clinic for IVF patients and does the accupuncture there. I have seen her 3 times and she is amazing. She is really positive and she knows EVERYTHING about fertility as this is her specialty. I can throw out acronims and numbers and she totally knows what it all means. it's comforting to have someone working on you who "get's it". She also explains a lot of what she does as she places the needles and she has a lot of dietary tips too. I am also reading "The Infertility Cure" and my accupuncturist knows the author and practices similarly to her. So my word of advice for anyone thinking of doing accupuncture is to find one who specializes in fertility because after seeing the differences between the first guy I went too and my new accupuncturist, it's night and day.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
March 27th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Ok, now that I have had 2 sessions, I have to say that it is wonderfully relaxing. It really gives you a chance to fall into a meditative state & this is coming from someone that never meditates. I also chose to do aroma therapy w/ it. Again, the scents were wonderful & aided in the relaxation.

My practitioner is wonderful. She is from China & also shared many beliefs w/ me such as leaving a light on while sleeping to aid the sperm in finding their way to the egg, not cutting nails in the bedroom & not moving any furniture in the bedroom b/c it messes up the fung shui. She also said that the Chinese believe that the uterus must be warm in order to conceive thus I had a heat lamp directly above my uterus both sessions.

The 1st session, she had me concentrate on visualizing perfect ovaries, fallopian tubes, & uterus while placing the pins below the belly button. I also had needles on my feet/ankles & 1 b/t the thumb/forefinger.

The 2nd session, she had me just relax, talking to me about the different ways acupunture can aid in conceiving. She placed needles above the belly button this time along w/ the other areas & also 1 on top of my head.

Whether we end up pregnant or not, only time will tell! It is definitely worth the $150 for 2 sessions.

March 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No cutting nails in the bedroom? Why is that? I totally do this btw that's why I'm asking

Overall it sounds like our practicioners are similar in their style. My needles were in the same places as yours and she uses a heat lamp on my lower abdomen and feet. She also advises I use a heating pad on my lower abdomen for 15 min a day before ovulation (not after because it can interfere w/implantation)

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
March 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM
LMAO! Ok, this is the theory behind not cutting your nails in the bedroom. There is an energy or "spirit" of sorts in the bedroom & cutting your nails will disturb her. Ok, I know that sounds really weird, right? Let me see if I can find anything on the net about this.

Oh, can you explain the pressure points to me? I've been trying to find out about them but get confused!

March 28th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Ok, here are a couple sites I found on Chinese customs & traditions w/ pregnancy...

Chinese Fertility Traditions
Very informative! It also mentions not eating sour or spicy foods as it could overheat the uterus & cause
Pregnancy Customs

March 30th, 2007, 12:02 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
LMAO! Ok, this is the theory behind not cutting your nails in the bedroom. There is an energy or "spirit" of sorts in the bedroom & cutting your nails will disturb her. Ok, I know that sounds really weird, right? Let me see if I can find anything on the net about this.

Oh, can you explain the pressure points to me? I've been trying to find out about them but get confused![/b]
I have a book on Reflexology that shows accupressure/acupuncture points. For the fallopian tubes they are on the outside of the ankle, just above/over the knobby bone that sticks out, each side reflects that side of the body's parts. So sometimes I use those pressure points and sometimes I massage over the tubes (you always want to make sure the time frame is before ovulation, not after), and last night while I was massaging the tube-area I could actually feel the corresponding spots on my ankles! Felt weird! Oh, yeah, AF did finally show on Tues. At least that part is back to normal!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search