Questions; could use some advice

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2006, 01:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not really sure where to post this, but I thought this might be a good place. I promise I'll try to make this fairly short.

First a little background:
I stopped taking bcp last October. Anyway I had one normal cycle and then nothing for almost four months. Since then I've had long crazy cycles. One or two have been close to 30 days but most of them have averaged 50-60 days with bleeding for probably 30-40 of them. (really heavy beeding and clots after the first 7-14 days. I started temping and tracking all the signs in hopes I was ovulating, sometimes I think I am (temp rise, cervical fluid, etc), but I also spot and then eventually go back into having a period. As you can imagine I'm rather confused and frustrated. I do have two or three weeks inbetween these cycles so it's not like I'm bleeding all the time.

I finally found a gynecologist, until this point I'd been going to my university's health center, and have an appointment for this wednesday. They're doing a pelvic ultrasound first and then an exam.

My first question is what can I expect during the exam? I figured I'd have a pelvic exam, pap smear, and probably some blood tests, should I expect anything else? I also wondered if anyone had experienced these same symptoms. If so what did it turn out to be?

I'd really love to hear any advice and information you all might have!

Thank you

October 23rd, 2006, 02:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If anyone has any experience with this, or knows the forum my questions should be in, please respond.

October 23rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
s_sill
Okay, I'm not sure if this will be much help but I wanted to give you a little info on my experience.

Me and DH were pregnant with twins. Unfortunately we lost them at 5 months due to placenta previa. My water broke at 5 months and we delivered the babies who were too small to survive. That was 3 years ago.

After the twins, my period was HORRIBLE! I went without it for months at a time and then BAM! I'd get it for like 2 weeks straight. This lasted for about 2 years. My doctors kept saying your body needs to adjust, your body needs to bounce back. But it made no sense to me.

I was on provera religously. Provera is a drug that can be taken to enduce your period or to stop unusual bleeding (weird how it does both). Anyway, after almost 3 years my period finally came around but even then I had 45 day cycles and it was impossible to know when I ovulated. I took clomid in March of 2006 and in April we became pregant again. We are expecting out little girl in December .

So in my case, there was nothing wrong. But I had the same things happening that you had. Long periods or no periods, excessive bleeding. Try not to worry because sometimes your body just does what it wants to do. I mean, we are all different so not all of us will have perfect 28 day cycles with no problems.

Keep me posted and good luck!
October 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much! It's great to hear that this can happen without there being a serious problem. I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your twins.

I wouldn't be so concerned if it wasn't for the fact that I was always regular before going on bcp. It actually kind of makes me angry because no doctor told me this was a possibility. If I had known, I would never have started taking them.

I'll definetly keep you posted. Hopefully whatever the issue is, it will be something that's easy to diagnose and treat so I can go back to normal. Right now I'm kind of afraid to go out because I worry that I'll suddenly flood.

October 24th, 2006, 02:53 PM
s_sill
Hmmm thats the thing with bcp. Everyone reacts differently. Just think, some woman go on them because they are said to regulate your period.

Since none of us are doctors around here (though it would be cheaper if we were), the only thing I can suggest is going and getting a complete check-up. Be prepared because alot of woman have problems with their periods for months after they stop taking them. I know that months seem like such a long time when you are trying to conceive but it's best to get all of that out of they way now so you know exactly what you're working with.

Good luck. You can always PM me if you need to talk.

Edited to add:

Oh so you have an appointment already? That's great. Yeah you can expect all those little, unconfortable tests. Mostly you'll be talking to the doctor giving him your background.
October 24th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah it kind of cracks me up that under other circumstances I'd be prescribed birth control.

Quote:
Be prepared because alot of woman have problems with their periods for months after they stop taking them.[/b]
Well I've been off of a year. I really didn't want to have to go to the doctor, but things just keep getting worse.

Quote:
Good luck. You can always PM me if you need to talk.[/b]
thanks again, I'll make sure to let you know what they find out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search