IVF Related Question

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2006, 06:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
At my initial consultation I had to sign a paper stating that I would not smoke cigarettes and that I would be tested for it later. I don't smoke but I was wondering if everyone who goes through IVF has to sign this paper and if they did get tested? How do they test you, when do they test you, and how much is the cost? I have a co-worker who said her friend who went through IVF could not even be around second hand smoke or it would show up on the test so she stayed out of restaurants and bars. Is this true? It sounds a bit too silly to me.

November 1st, 2006, 07:04 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Quote:
At my initial consultation I had to sign a paper stating that I would not smoke cigarettes and that I would be tested for it later. I don't smoke but I was wondering if everyone who goes through IVF has to sign this paper and if they did get tested? How do they test you, when do they test you, and how much is the cost? I have a co-worker who said her friend who went through IVF could not even be around second hand smoke or it would show up on the test so she stayed out of restaurants and bars. Is this true? It sounds a bit too silly to me.[/b]
At my orientation (this was after my initial consultation but before any procedures started), they asked all the couples if either of them smoked. There were a few people who did and all they were told was to do their best to quit before they started on a cycle. It's obviously ideal that neither smoke, not only is it a harm if/when a person does become pregnant, but it also affects quality of egg and sperm and can decrease success rates. My DH did smoke at the time and actually used this as his opportunity to quit. He hasn't smoked in a year now.

As for having to sign a form and getting a test, that seems a bit extreme to me - I'm guessing your clinic is doing whatever they can to keep their success stat rates high. And for the test, it would just be a urine test. I remember having to do that when we applied for life insurance.

November 1st, 2006, 10:02 AM
Daniellea22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Daniellea22
wow i have never heard of this. none of us smoke here or know anyone who does so i would probably just stay home if that was the case for me lol I hope it all works out for ya though and it dont cost you..i also hope the 1st cycle does the trick!
November 1st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the replies. I guess I was a bit worried that if I did go somewhere where there was second hand smoke and they did a urine test to detect nicotene I don't want to not be able to do IVF. This of course is after my co-worker told me about her friend's experience. I don't want to go overboard or avoid places just because of second hand smoke if it is not going to affect me much. Maybe I will ask one of my IVF nurses when I go in for my HSG. My DH does not smoke either so I don't have to worry about him. COngrats GP70 for your husband's ability to quit. Sometimes it just takes a little bit of a push to be able to go in the right direction.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search