Generic vs Name Brand Clomid

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went to pick up my Clomid yesterday & about fell out when I had to pay $71 ! I asked why it was that much when the last 3 times I only paid $20. He said that my OB SPECIFICALLY said to fill the script w/ the name brand Clomid, not the generic. I asked why of course. He said that there is a school of thought that the real deal actually produces more pregnancies than the generic. Hmmmm...does anyone know if this is true or false? I don't question my OB b/c he is a great man. He didn't make us wait a year to go to the RE. As a matter of fact, he was ready to send us after the 1st 3 cycles of Clomid which was about 6 months after the m/c. We had only tried for 3 cycles at that point but I think he is understanding that we are 31 & 38 respectively & that we have already had a m/c so there is no need to wait a full year. He was also very forthcoming w/ the 1st 3 rounds of Clomid. Didn't have to do any tests, etc. He just trusted my judgement & knowledge of my body.

PLEASE!

November 4th, 2006, 07:34 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
All I know about generics is that sometimes they vary more in efficacy/strength than brand names. For instance, my repro endo put me on brand name thyroid medication because she said it's important for me to maintain an even dosage. Even slight fluctuations can affect my thyroid, thus my fertility. She said that generic thyroid meds can vary in efficacy by 25-50% or more, which is a lot considering. For some drugs, this wouldn't make much of a difference (e.g. ibuprofen, cough medicine etc) but for something like regulating hormones ttc it might make a difference. Sorry if I wasn't any help!

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

November 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That makes all the sense in the world & you also validated what my MIL told me about generics vs name brands. Thank you very much!!!!

November 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM
alexa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess if you have already taken generic, your dr must feel there is a difference if he wants you to take the real deal.

I take Clomiphene, which I think that is generic, but I'm not sure. I would ask for some monitoriing while on it, like at least a 7DPO progesterone test to see if it is really working. Even if you are ovlulating with it it could not be effectively or a mature egg. You can only tell by checking progesterone.

My dr. makes me go every other day around O for an u/s to monitor follicle growth and I had the trigger shot when the follicles were large enough because she found that my body was not releasing them when they should so they were getting too large and over mature.

I know it is all way more complicated than we wish it was. I hope this is your cycle. I'm still rooting for you and hoping we go to the DDC together.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search