Retrieval

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So now all I can think about is how I am a bit scared about the IVF retrieval that will be coming up soon. I am scared about being partially under and if I will feel any pain during the procedure. I have heard some of you talk about it a bit but if I could get some advice or any opinions to ease my worries I would greatly appreciate it.

November 10th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I can't even begin to imagine what you must be thinking or going through right now. I hope the best for you and that everything goes off without a hitch. Good luck!!!!!

November 10th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Preparing for the first retrieval is a bit daunting but try your best not to worry too much (easier said than done, I know)!

My first retrieval wasn't too bad - I actually think ignorance can be bliss sometimes. By not knowing exactly what to expect, the whole thing was over and done with almost before I could assess exactly what had happened. The second one was not as smooth, but I got through it fine.

The pain meds definitely help... they basically make the time go by really quickly. The trick is to focus on what the doctors/nurses are saying. Mine gave me a count as they were extracting the eggs and I found concentrating on that kept my mind occupied.

Keep your eye on the prize! This will all be worth it one day.

Where are you in your cycle now?

November 11th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Aww, i feel for you!
I am scared too, and we hope to have IVF after xmas and that part is the bit
i fear most. I have talked in depth to some of the girls here though which has helped,
and like GP70 says- keep your eye on the prize! Never forget the end goal
That train of thought is what will give me strength cos i am TERRIFIED

Sarah
November 11th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Preparing for the first retrieval is a bit daunting but try your best not to worry too much (easier said than done, I know)!

My first retrieval wasn't too bad - I actually think ignorance can be bliss sometimes. By not knowing exactly what to expect, the whole thing was over and done with almost before I could assess exactly what had happened. The second one was not as smooth, but I got through it fine.

The pain meds definitely help... they basically make the time go by really quickly. The trick is to focus on what the doctors/nurses are saying. Mine gave me a count as they were extracting the eggs and I found concentrating on that kept my mind occupied.

Keep your eye on the prize! This will all be worth it one day.

Where are you in your cycle now?[/b]

I am taking the Lupron so I should be starting my next period at the latest Friday, November 17. From there I will take two more fetility meds and several ultrasounds until they give me the go ahead for the trigger shot. I am estimating around the 30th for retrieval if not sooner.

Did you feel any pain or pressure or anything to indicate that the doctor was "working" down there?

Quote:
Aww, i feel for you!
I am scared too, and we hope to have IVF after xmas and that part is the bit
i fear most. I have talked in depth to some of the girls here though which has helped,
and like GP70 says- keep your eye on the prize! Never forget the end goal
That train of thought is what will give me strength cos i am TERRIFIED

Sarah [/b]

I honestly was not scared until now. As the retrieval date comes nearer, the more scared I get. Mostly because I have to be on valum (never had it before), local anesthetic, and sedation through IV. I am sure it will go by fast but I have never been under (laughing gas for my wisdom teeth extraction is the closest I have been) or close to it. I also don't want to feel any pain. I have a high pain tolerance but after the pain I was in during the HSG I am beginning to understand the emotional effects IVF can have on a person!

November 11th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Miles

I have never been through it but can only imagine how you feel right now.
November 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my retrieval a week ago (and my transfer yesterday) so I can tell you what it was like for me.

For starters, during the procedure I had IV sedation and I fell asleep. I didn't feel and don't remember any part of the procedure whatsoever. The good thing about tghe IV sedation (besides those effects I just mentioned) is that the risk of an anesthetic complication is super-low. Since they're not really "putting you under", there really aren't the same risks that general anesthesia would carry.

Now for pain... like I said, during the procedure for me - no pain at all. Since then I have been having some pelvic cramping, but that's because my ovaries had so many eggs that I was told they got huge and it will take several weeks for my ovaries to return to their normal size. BUT, I think I'd rather have the pain and know that it's because I made a bunch of eggs than not have pain but have fewer eggs, kwim? There has been NO unbearable pain though, and any cramping I HAVE had has been easily taken care of with plain ol' tylenol (I was told I couldn't take aspirin or advil).

I know having a procedure done can be scary, but for me, I think it was more exciting than scary. THe pain was minimal, the procedure forgetable, and hopefully the results are worth it all.

Good luck!!!!

August 2012 December 2012
November 11th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I had my retrieval a week ago (and my transfer yesterday) so I can tell you what it was like for me.

For starters, during the procedure I had IV sedation and I fell asleep. I didn't feel and don't remember any part of the procedure whatsoever. The good thing about tghe IV sedation (besides those effects I just mentioned) is that the risk of an anesthetic complication is super-low. Since they're not really "putting you under", there really aren't the same risks that general anesthesia would carry.

Now for pain... like I said, during the procedure for me - no pain at all. Since then I have been having some pelvic cramping, but that's because my ovaries had so many eggs that I was told they got huge and it will take several weeks for my ovaries to return to their normal size. BUT, I think I'd rather have the pain and know that it's because I made a bunch of eggs than not have pain but have fewer eggs, kwim? There has been NO unbearable pain though, and any cramping I HAVE had has been easily taken care of with plain ol' tylenol (I was told I couldn't take aspirin or advil).

I know having a procedure done can be scary, but for me, I think it was more exciting than scary. THe pain was minimal, the procedure forgetable, and hopefully the results are worth it all.

Good luck!!!![/b]
What great news. I am so glad to hear that it was not that bad of a procedure. I wish you all the luck in the world. Are you on bedrest for a few days? I have 2 days of bedrest after the transfer and two days of minimal activity so no going to work.

November 11th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not really on bedrest, but definitely only light activity... like walking around my apartment. After today, I should be able to move around more, but no exercising for at least a week (more likely until my blood test). It's interesting how different docs have different rules... some want strict bedrest, some say light activity, and some say you can resume all normal activities immediately after transfer. The bedrest and light activity thing is sorta weird, 'cause when you think about it, normal, active, exercising women get pg all the time.

August 2012 December 2012
November 11th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Quote:
I am taking the Lupron so I should be starting my next period at the latest Friday, November 17. From there I will take two more fetility meds and several ultrasounds until they give me the go ahead for the trigger shot. I am estimating around the 30th for retrieval if not sooner.

Did you feel any pain or pressure or anything to indicate that the doctor was "working" down there?[/b]

Well, I definitely felt there was "work" going on and I did experience some pain, but it was bearable. But, I also know a lot of women who had very little or no pain (like Eva mentioned in this thread). I have a lot of different gyno issues (like endo and fibroids) that I know are a contributor to the discomfort I went through.

It is honestly all bearable and you really will forget most of the details of the procedure itself once it's done - you'll be so excited about how many eggs and thinking about the transfer in a few days that everything else will seem secondary.

You'll do great!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search