What's your best holiday memory?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sitting here listening to christmas music, and trying to decorate my home for the holidays. For those of you in the USA, I know your Thanksgiving is right around the corner, but here in Canada we tend to get things rolling for Christmas a bit sooner since our Thanksgiving is in October, and once Halloween is done, everything Christmas pops up! Our Santa Claus parade is tonight, and I'm hosting a Christmas cookie exchange for the women at our church next Saturday so I figured I better get my home in the spirit!

So as I was trying to muster up my christmas spirit, my mind started to wander to holidays past as I looked at some of my ornaments, and it got me thinking. What is are some of your best holiday memories. Maybe it has nothing to with christmas, and it's about Thanksgiving, or maybe a completely different holiday all together.

One of my best holiday memories was going to cut our Christmas tree as a family. It used to be a huge family event with my aunt, uncle, grandparents, siblings, my parent's, and I. We would go the 1st saturday in december up north of Toronto to find our perfect tree. We would bundle in our snowsuits, and my parent's would bring the sled to pull us around, and there would be hot chocolate in thermos' and marshmellows, and christmas cookies, and we would have a blast picking out the tree. Growing up we lived in an apartment building for a years in Toronto and we had to sneak the tree inside, so in the dark of night my mom and dad would hoist the tree up by a rope to our 8th floor apartment and sneak the tree in through the balconey!

Years later I love to think of how much my parent's did to make christmas special. My dad would make raindeer prints on the balconey every year, and cookie crumbs all over the place to make it looked like Santa and his helpers were there on Christmas Eve. To this day, while we don't do the Santa thing anymore, we still have many traditions that we kept, and a few new ones tossed in as well.
December 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd love hearing about other people's memories.
December 20th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Well, I'm right into the Christmas spirit now having spent the last week frantically trying to get my house in shape for my mother-in-law arriving tomorrow. ACK!

I have a many good Christmas memories. One of the more recent ones is from about 3 years ago and it went like this...

Since my parents hit their senior years, they have stopped having Christmas dinner at their house and it is done instead at one of my siblings, however, my father still insists on cooking the turkey (something he has done since day 1). So, he has starting this "tradition" where he starts to cook the turkey in his own oven and then transports it to the oven of the hosting sibling. (I know, it's good food poisoning written all over it, but amazingly, it hasn't happened yet lol). Anyway, this particular year, we were going to my brothers house about 45 minutes away. My father was very proud of the fact that he had calculated travelling distance, cool down/heat up time, etc... into his cooking time (my Dad is a nut, but I love him). So, we arrive at my brothers house to find out they are in the middle of a power outage! Here is this half cooked turkey, a house in the dark and no oven. Always thinking, we decide to fire up the BBQ and finish cooking the turkey there. It turned out to be a great meal! The lights came on about 1/2 way through the meal but we turned them all off again because we were enjoying the candle light so much.

As far as my childhood memories of Christmas, I can't come up with one big story/memory, for me it was more the little things all put together that made it special... hanging my special ornament on the tree, Mom's cookies, waking my siblings up early (I was the youngest) to get to the presents, sitting on my parents bed going through our stockings... too many to even list but all great and most I continue to do to this day as an adult and will definitely pass along to my own children.

Merry Christmas!

December 20th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I LOVE IT! I read your story about your dad with a smile on my face. I love how parent's have their traditions and carry them on. It makes for extra special holidays.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search