Pregnacy after laparoscopy

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2006, 08:55 PM
medicgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HI there,

Just wondering if anyone has ever gotten pregnant after getting a laparoscopy and/or the uterine dye procedure? My doc said that sometimes the dye is enough because it clears out your tubes. Anybody here know someone with that experience?
November 22nd, 2006, 06:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I don't think I conceived because of the LAP, but I did successfully conceive a year later!

November 22nd, 2006, 06:47 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ksauter
The only time I have been able to concieve was right after my laparoscopy which I had done to clear out endimetriosis, adhesions and cysts. Unfortunalty becuase my infertility is caused by other problems we did not know of until I became pg I m/c 6wks into my pg. Now I'm getting my hsg done.
Starting adoption classes!! Finally getting the process started
IUI #3 BFN
1 laporoscopy, 1 mc, 6mo's of clomid, 3 mo's of injections and IUI's
countless blooddraws and ultrasounds. Hopefully a BFP soon!!
Kelly 29 and JD 29 adopting #1 (or maybe two)
November 22nd, 2006, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have heard that women get pregant the cycle after the HSG is done. Let's hope it is true for all of us that just recently had one done!

November 22nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
Well I get mine on Monday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Christmas will bring a BFP!
November 22nd, 2006, 09:12 PM
alexa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have also heard from many ladies as well as the doctors that there is a significant increased chance of pregnancy after the HSG.

I think it also depends on what your specific issue is. I had an HSG done back in April, but I have problems with ovulating and irregular cycles. However, if you have normal cycles and fertility, I would say the procedure could definately lead you to a BFP.

November 23rd, 2006, 07:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I found these two pieces of info on the internet:

How does the oil dye increase fertility?
1. It may effect a mechanical lavage of the tubes, dislodging mucus plugs.
2. It may straighten the tubes and thus break down peritoneal adhesions.
3. It may provide a stimulatory effect for the cilia of the tube.
4. It may improve the cervical mucus.
5. The iodine may exert a bacteriostatic effect on the mucous membranes.
6. Ethiodol decreases in vitro phagocytosis by peritoneal macrophages. If the same effect occurs in vivo it could decrease macrophage activity and thus aid fertility by inhibiting the release of cytokines and decreasing phagocytosis of sperm.

A hysterosalpingogram or HSG is a test to check the uterine cavity as well as the patency of the fallopian tubes. Several studies have shown that pregnancy rates are slightly increased in the first months following a hysterosalpingogram. Flushing of the tubes with the contrast dye could open a minor blockage or clean out some debris that may be a factor preventing the couple from conceiving. Some of these studies suggest that using oil-based contrast provides a greater increase in pregnancy rates after a hysterosalpingogram than does the use of water-based contrast.

November 24th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the info! I had blood work done yesterday and so far everything is a go. I also found out that they are doing a D&C at the same time, which I thought was odd because I thought that procedure was only associated with miscarriages but I guess not. Anyway this weekend cannot go by fast enough!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search