Trying the Holistic & RE Approach...

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 22nd, 2006, 11:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, I've decided to take more ownership over what's going on with my body. So in addition to the RE, I've also started to see a Naturpathic Dr who specializes in infertility and m/c. I had my 1st appointment with her and it was almost 2hrs long! We went over my medical history, my diet, previous treatments, current treatments, and options. I was thrilled to find out that what I've been doing is exactly what she recommends, but I'm also going to start doing acupunture with her, and start taking these drops to assist my liver with toxins since I'm starting Clomid this cycle, and the liver is connected with our reproductive organs. She was really knowledgable and many of my RE's patients see the same Naturpath, and my RE recommends her.

So here's what I've been doing so far:
- daily low dose apsirin
- prenatal vitamin
- Vitamin B 50 Complex
- Folic acid
- evening primrose oil

The cycle that I started to take this combination in August was the 1st time ever that I O'd on CD14, and have consistantly done so every month since then. The naturpath believes that I have an essential fatty oil deficiency and that's why my body took to the EPO so quickly. She also believes that in using gentle treatments that work with Clomid so I won't be using the EPO while I'm taking it (which counter-affects Clomid...which I never knew before). Instead, I'm going to be taking a combination of fish oil and flax seed oil and adding seeds to my diet (i.e. pumpkin, seasame, sunflower, and flax seed). I also found out that while fertility treatment isn't covered by my insurance accupunture and my naturpath dr are, so that's one less thing out of my pocket since my RE is getting expensive!

The other change that I've made in the past year is my lifestyle. I eliminated sugar, processed foods, and refined starches from my diet and eat better. DH had dropped 20lbs just by eating the same way, and I've gone back to the gym. Since leaving my job last month, my stress levels have come down dramatically and I feel soooo much better. So I'm hoping that lifestyle changes, trying a holistic approach, as well as the RE will get better results and reduce the risk of further m/c. Here's to a BFP and that all too ellusive sticky bean!

I'd love to hear anybody's experience with alternate treatments.
November 22nd, 2006, 06:05 PM
alexa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like you are on the right track. I think there is a lot of value in the holistic and natural approach.

I have been considering trying the accupunture myself and after reading your post I am going to see if my insurance will cover any of it for me.

Best of luck this cycle getting your BFP.

November 22nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks...it's not something that I ever thought would be covered, but go figure! I've heard a lot of good things about it and I figure I have nothing to loose.

Good luck this cycle as well.
November 23rd, 2006, 08:01 AM
KittyMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to KittyMom Send a message via Yahoo to KittyMom
Quote:
The cycle that I started to take this combination in August was the 1st time ever that I O'd on CD14, and have consistantly done so every month since then. The naturpath believes that I have an essential fatty oil deficiency and that's why my body took to the EPO so quickly. She also believes that in using gentle treatments that work with Clomid so I won't be using the EPO while I'm taking it (which counter-affects Clomid...which I never knew before). Instead, I'm going to be taking a combination of fish oil and flax seed oil and adding seeds to my diet (i.e. pumpkin, seasame, sunflower, and flax seed). I also found out that while fertility treatment isn't covered by my insurance accupunture and my naturpath dr are, so that's one less thing out of my pocket since my RE is getting expensive![/b]
Did she explain how EPO counters Clomid? I have never heard this before.

TIA!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">My Blog | My Chart</span>
I Love you forever, I Like you for always, As long as I'm living, my Daddy you will be
11/20/1939 - 05/31-2007</span>
[/b]</div>
November 23rd, 2006, 11:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
She said that EPO increases estrogen levels and when combined with clomid (which also increases estrogen levels) they end up fighting each other. That's why she recommended the Flax Seed Oil or Fish Oils. You still get the essential fatty acids, but without the estrogen enhancers.

That's why EPO is recommened for menstrual issues, and fertility issues vs. the other oils. I never knew that either, but I'm glad I found out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search