Tubal Cannulation

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lash

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2006, 09:02 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
I was invited to post here by Nykoal. Recently I underwent a tubal cannulation procedure to clear my blocked fallopian tube. Here's what happened:

In November I was diagnosed by HSG (hysterosalpingogram) to have a blockage in one fallopian tube. An HSG is when they inject a radiopaque dye through a catheter through your cervix into your uterus that can be seen by a special X-ray. After the dye fills the uterus, it spills into the fallopian tubes. They follow the path of the dye to see if there are any abnormalities in your reproductive tract.

But the doctor explained the HSG is a somewhat limited test, because if one tube is slightly wider than the other, the fluid they inject under pressure will just go the path of least resistance, in other words up the bigger tube. So they can't always tell if you're actually blocked, and sometimes need to perform a more specialized test - the tubal cannulation.

A tubal cannulation is a more specialzed form of the HSG. They again inject a radiopaque dye, but this time the catheter is run only into the one fallopian tube and is sealed off by a balloon. So the dye only enters that one tube. Then they can tell not only if the tube is actually blocked, they may be able to remove the blockage, depending on the type of blockage. I'm not exactly sure how they remove it, since I'm sketchy on that part of the procedure. I've heard it was a technique borrowed from angioplasty.

For the tubal cannulation, I was given "conscious sedation", which meant I didn't lose consciousness, but my memory is a little fuzzy on the details. I do know the tech said "there definitely is a blockage," and I was very sad, but about 30 seconds later he said "I cleared it!" I guess it was an easy fix. Best of all, I didn't feel a thing! That was a big plus, since the HSG was a killer. You take an antibiotic before and after the procedure to ward off any chance of infection being introduced into your reproductive tract.

Now that both tubes are clear, we begin IUI next week!

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

December 22nd, 2006, 07:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's great news that the blockage is gone. Thanks for posting the procedure!
January 24th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Tamika's Avatar Regular
I am new to the board. Just joined today. I had an HSG done this morning as I have been trying to get pregnant for over a year now. Neither one of my tubes showed on the exam, so I believe they both are completely blocked. Just last month I found out I have a pretty large fibroid and that is what I thought was preventing me from getting pregnant. Now I find the tubes are blocked.

I am going to visit my GYN on how to proceed. I'd assume a tubal cannulation would be the next step because I think the blockage is near the uterus as opposed to near the ovary. My question to those who have had this done is, is this an outpatient type procedure, how long does it take to heal and until you are allowed to try to concieve and were you put on any meds after the procedure to prevent scarring and the like.

And congratulations on the initial poster for the successful procedure
April 21st, 2014, 12:30 PM
To: LisaB
hi can you tell me where did you do your tubal cannulation procedure to clear blocked fallopian tube?( Dr office and dr Name) I noticed you are from Monterey county so am I --please let me know!!!

thanks
April 21st, 2014, 12:40 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nata, this thread is REALLY old, so I'm not sure if Lisa will be around to read and respond. This one is about 7 years old
KMH likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search