What would you do?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM
hoping4littleone's Avatar Super Mommy
Hey ladies, I've posted here a couple of times, but I'm mainly a lurker (sorry!)

I just need some advice, because this is all so new to my DH and I. Just a recap -my DH and I first started TTC in May 2006. We got pregnant right away, then miscarried at 9 weeks. I went on to have 2 more miscarriages, the last one being in December. I started to see my RE and the only thing he could find was that I have a low egg count (I'm only 29) and he believed I was unlucky and each time I got pregnant, it was a "bad" egg. Although, my FSH levels came back normal, so he says I still have some good ones in there.

So . ... he wants me to start injections of FSH with either timed intercourse or possibly IUI. Yesterday I went for the consultation on prices and I was shocked at how much it will cost for one cycle of injections with IUI - $4067. I don't know if that's high or not? They also discussed in-vetro with me, as they said since my problem is that I've been miscarrying because of a "bad" egg, with in-vetro they can make sure it is good outside before they put it into me (one cycle of IVF being $12,000).

So, my question is ... being that these costs are SOO high, would you go to your OB (not my RE) and ask what he could do first since it is covered by insurance - maybe Clomid or something, or would you go straight to IUI or in-vetro. I just felt it seemed kinda fishy that they were pushing me to in-vetro given that I can get pregnant, and fairly quickly at that. And why they were pushing IUI so fast? What do you girls think?

This is all so new to me ... my DH and I are so confused right now. Obviously the costs are unbelievable, and we're not sure if we should just keep trying on our own given that I do have good eggs - it's just a gamble of which one drops. I"M SO CONFUSED!!

Thanks for listening, and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

</div>
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">

Born May 5, 2008

Shelby Suzanne: 7lbs,8 oz 17 3/4 inches 9:16 p.m.
Morgan Julianne: 5 lbs,8 oz 19 inches 9:17 p.m.
</div></span>
February 7th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, lots of insurance companies cover infertility and several don't at all so check to see what yours will cover. An RE is in the business of getting people pregnant, it's up to you how aggressive you want to be. You just need to let them know what your comfort level is. I'm not sure what the FSH does? If you are not having problems getting pregnant I would ask your doctor what he thinks about breaking you in with just taking clomid to get a better quality egg and then go the IUI route. I would stick with the RE however since this is what they do best and know what exactly to look for. Obgyn's are way too busy to give you the attention you will need not to mention they don't have the experitse and RE does. Have they done all the test to eliminate other problems?

Edited to delete comment cost on Astrids treatment. I was incorrect.
February 7th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the response .. yes, they did the whole round of tests on me and DH. I had a sonohysterogram, HSG, tons of blood work, full chromosome panel test, DH's spermies tested .. everything. Everything came back normal except my egg count. I had half the amount of immature eggs on cycle day three that I should have had. Thanks for the advice .. I truly appreciate it!
Oh, my insurance only covers the testing and diagnostics for infertility .. not treatment

</div>

Born May 5, 2008

</div></span>
February 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Then I would definitely start out with the least costly medication you can take and IUI. Clomid only cost about $35. You will have to check with your doctors office on the cost of IUI but generally it's about 1K. I know the doctor says you have low egg count but what are the #s. It seems alarming to hear that but you don't seem to be having a problem getting pregnant at all. So to me it's not as bad as it may seem. Clomid will help you get a better quality egg and help with progesterone levels as well. And I say go with IUI instead of traditional sex b/c sometimes clomid can dry up your cervical mucous which you need in order to transport the sperm into the uterus. IUI skips all that and gets the boys straight to the uterus. Bonus you get the best of the best boys. I think that happened to me since it took so long for us to get pregnant this time. FYI...this is an IUI pregnancy and first IUI attempt. My infertility test came back good as well, couldn't find anything wrong with us either. Good luck to you and DH.
February 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ksauter
I would definalty talk to your RE about all of your options including the clomid. I do agree that OB's are just too busy to give the care and the close observation that is needed. I do not produce mature eggs so my Dr. has me on injections and we have to do an IUI. The clomid did not work for me. One option you do have with injections is getting them from Europe I can give you the email address if you would like. My dr gave me that option and it cut my cost dramatically. I pay only around $400.00 a cycle still alot but not nearly what it would have cost. My Dr. writes me a rx and I fill out the paperwork and fax it to them. To be honest I can't remember what inj. I'm on so I don't know how much yours would be but def. cheaper. The website is www.ivfmeds.com. If you have any concerns of questions about them just pm me.
Starting adoption classes!! Finally getting the process started
IUI #3 BFN
1 laporoscopy, 1 mc, 6mo's of clomid, 3 mo's of injections and IUI's
countless blooddraws and ultrasounds. Hopefully a BFP soon!!
Kelly 29 and JD 29 adopting #1 (or maybe two)
February 7th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Welcome out of lurking!

I agree with the others here, I would definitely investigate going with a lesser intrusive method first, like clomid. If egg quality is the only issue, then going straight to IVF seems pretty drastic. And trust me, IVF is no picnic - you don't want to end up on that path unless you absolutely have to.

You're still young and have time here, so I would really think trying clomid for a few cycles really wouldn't hurt. If you get yourself a little ways further down the road and that's not doing the trick, then start talking about IUI and IVF.

Good luck to you in whichever path you decide on!

February 7th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi from lurking

I just want to wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide is best.

Hope to see your good news here soon

Sarah
February 7th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know all the implications of having only a few quality eggs BUT I do know that you can do an IUI cycle in the USA for cheaper than what you have been quoted. I'm all geared up for an IUI cycle w/ all kinds of injectables. The cost out of pocket for the meds was $700. I got them from a New England based pharmacy called Freedom Pharmacy. The progesterone supplements were covered by insurance & that is it. An IUI where I am from is about $250 x 2 b/c they do 2 IUIs to make sure they cover when you O. I have also heard that if you can find a pharmacutical supplier in your city, it drastically reduces the cost.

Either way, you are looking as specialized treatment. I would maybe consider a 2nd opinion just to make sure what your current RE is quoting you is reasonable & comparable to others in Las Vegas. I hope you get your answers soon!

February 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi!
Granted cost arent the same everywhere but my dh and I do IUI cycles for $250.00 a peice and my meds are clomid and estrogen and its only $5 for my meds each cycle!!! My insurance covers the meds so im sure thats why they are so cheap.
You might consider doing IUI w/clomid it is enormously cheaper than the injections and then if that doesnt work try the IUI w/injections next. Im trying to work my way up the treatment ladder ...hoping one of the cheaper routes will get me my baby
Best of Luck whichever one you choose!

February 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to add that estrogen & progesterone are covered by most insurance companies unlike meds used to help w/ egg quality/quantity & to enduce ovulation. I listed a few just in case...

Clomid or the generic
Gonal-F (aka ~ FSH)
Menopur (aka ~ FSH & LH combine)
HCG (used to induce ovulation)

Those 4 things cost a total of $700.

February 7th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Thank you so very much for all of your responses ... I truly appreciate it!! Every single one of you gave me some great information .. THANK YOU!!! DH and I are definitely going to look into cheaper routes first than going straight to drastic measures. Like wewantaminime said, it's surprising that although I am told my only problem is low egg count, I can get pregnant rather quickly - it's always been within the first two months of trying.

I was told, according to ultrasound on cycle day three, that I had 6 immature eggs in one ovary, and 5 immature eggs in the other. My RE said I should have 8-10. My FSH levels were normal though.

Well, funny enough, we found out today that I'm pregnant!! Yesterday I went to my RE for the IVF/IUI consultation and I told them I thought maybe I was pregnant. I'm on cycle day 23 right now and my blood came back positive .. BUT, BUT ... I'm not getting my hopes up. My RE said he was concerned because my levels were somewhat low for my cycle day (he didn't say what they were). He thinks it could possibly be a chemical pregnancy. I go in Monday for another blood test. I have all the symptoms, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Most likely it was another bad egg

</div>

Born May 5, 2008

</div></span>
February 8th, 2007, 02:39 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Thank you so very much for all of your responses ... I truly appreciate it!! Every single one of you gave me some great information .. THANK YOU!!! DH and I are definitely going to look into cheaper routes first than going straight to drastic measures. Like wewantaminime said, it's surprising that although I am told my only problem is low egg count, I can get pregnant rather quickly - it's always been within the first two months of trying.

I was told, according to ultrasound on cycle day three, that I had 6 immature eggs in one ovary, and 5 immature eggs in the other. My RE said I should have 8-10. My FSH levels were normal though.

Well, funny enough, we found out today that I'm pregnant!! Yesterday I went to my RE for the IVF/IUI consultation and I told them I thought maybe I was pregnant. I'm on cycle day 23 right now and my blood came back positive .. BUT, BUT ... I'm not getting my hopes up. My RE said he was concerned because my levels were somewhat low for my cycle day (he didn't say what they were). He thinks it could possibly be a chemical pregnancy. I go in Monday for another blood test. I have all the symptoms, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Most likely it was another bad egg [/b]
CONGRATS!!!! and Good Luck!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search