Got my bloodwork-

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ladies,
I got my bloodwork back as to initial look into what could be keeping us from concieving. She did an U/S and saw that everything looked good. I have a good ovulation pattern and don't seem to be having trouble O'ing. She did bloodwork and I got good cholesterol, Factor 5 was negative (which is good), FSH was a 10 (which she said was ok) and TSH was normal. My MTHFR however, was positive. She said there are 4 mutations that can occur on this and I only have 1 and she said it's nothing to worry about, doesn't cause genetic mutations with babies and all that. She just said it means I don't produce Folic acid properly (I think that's what she said). So she prescribed me extra folic acid, in addition to my prenatal. What worries me is how rare it is, she said like 1-5%. Anyone here have this or know anything about it? I'm worried and a little scared She is also going to give me clomid b/c she said that it will help me have a nice strong ovulation and there are little side effects. She said that my FSH being 10 is okay, but I'm thinking it could have been better.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
February 9th, 2007, 09:52 AM
KittyMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to KittyMom Send a message via Yahoo to KittyMom
Bizarre, I was looking at this site yesterday. Came across it in a search about folic acid.

Quote:
The MTHFR mutation is extremely common:

* 44 of the population have the normal enzyme
* 44 % are heterozygous for the mutation (i.e. have 1 variant gene). These individuals have some normal enzyme and some of the thermolabile variant of the enzyme.
* 12 % are homozygous for the mutation (i.e. have 2 variant genes). All of these individuals' enzyme is the thermolabile variant.[/b]

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">My Blog | My Chart</span>
I Love you forever, I Like you for always, As long as I'm living, my Daddy you will be
11/20/1939 - 05/31-2007</span>
[/b]</div>
February 9th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So it isn't that rare? Does anyone else here have this?

IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
February 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM
ducky516's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't been tested for it, but spina bifida runs in my family and that's related to folic acid levels...so I may have it. When I went to my doctor for a preconception appointment, she suggested that I take a prenatal vitamin as well as 4,000 micrograms of folic acid. The normal dosage for child bearing women that I've read is 400 micrograms, so anyone with a risk has to take significantly more. I'm not sure if it's related, but thought I'd share just in case.

Michelle

Thanks Kara for my awesome siggy!
February 9th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I haven't been tested for it, but spina bifida runs in my family and that's related to folic acid levels...so I may have it. When I went to my doctor for a preconception appointment, she suggested that I take a prenatal vitamin as well as 4,000 micrograms of folic acid. The normal dosage for child bearing women that I've read is 400 micrograms, so anyone with a risk has to take significantly more. I'm not sure if it's related, but thought I'd share just in case.

Michelle[/b]
Michelle,
Sorry to be nosey, but when you say it runs in your family, does that mean that your family has m/c or babies are actually born with spina bifida? I wasn't sure, but I thought babies w/spina bifida are m/c b/c they couldn't actually survive? Sorry, I don't know much about all this.

IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
February 9th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Michelle,
Sorry to be nosey, but when you say it runs in your family, does that mean that your family has m/c or babies are actually born with spina bifida? I wasn't sure, but I thought babies w/spina bifida are m/c b/c they couldn't actually survive? Sorry, I don't know much about all this.
[/quote]

You're not being nosey! The babies were born with spina bifida. My dad's brother was born with spina bifida and died from it at age 3. Important...that was over 60 years ago and medical advances have come a long long way. My other uncle (dad's other brother) had a son born with it as well in approximately 1990. They were able to do surgery to correct the spinal fluid drainage problem by putting a shunt in and he's perfectly normal now. These are VERY rare cases and please don't think that I'm saying this could happen to you. It happening to ME is even a very low chance. I went to my doctor prior to TTC just to be sure I was doing everything I could to have a healthy baby. The doctor told me that people used to get a lot more folic acid from the foods they ate, but now the soil things are grown in just isn't as rich in folate any more. It's important to note too, that my mom wasn't taking folic acid when she conceived me, and I wasn't born with an issue at all. I hope that helped and didn't cause you unnecessary concern!

February 9th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Michelle,

You're not being nosey! The babies were born with spina bifida. My dad's brother was born with spina bifida and died from it at age 3. Important...that was over 60 years ago and medical advances have come a long long way. My other uncle (dad's other brother) had a son born with it as well in approximately 1990. They were able to do surgery to correct the spinal fluid drainage problem by putting a shunt in and he's perfectly normal now. These are VERY rare cases and please don't think that I'm saying this could happen to you. It happening to ME is even a very low chance. I went to my doctor prior to TTC just to be sure I was doing everything I could to have a healthy baby. The doctor told me that people used to get a lot more folic acid from the foods they ate, but now the soil things are grown in just isn't as rich in folate any more. It's important to note too, that my mom wasn't taking folic acid when she conceived me, and I wasn't born with an issue at all. I hope that helped and didn't cause you unnecessary concern!
[/quote]

Thank you. I really appreciate your feedback and help. I think it's important for me to think of the fact that even though I have a folic acid problem, that just increases my risks, it doesn't doom me. I am really scared, but I will just increase my folic acid and my doctor acted like it wasn't a huge concern. She had actually just delivered a baby that morning where the mother had MTHFR positive.

IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
February 9th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I'm glad it helped. I worried initially that 10x the normal dosage may be too much, but have found out that folic acid doesn't have a toxicity level. Whatever your body can't absorb it will discard. Did your doctor give you a prescription or tell you to get it over the counter? If it's not a prescription, the best deal I've found is a Sams Club.

Ohhh...another thing my doctor told me is that in the event of a BFP, they can do testing very early to detect a neural tube defect. I know it's hard, but try not to let it weigh on your mind too much. We have all this advanced technology now that's a blessing in many ways, but adds stress in others.

Best wishes for a BFP and in 9 months a healthy baby :-)

February 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy

February 9th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My sister had 2 miscarriages and was tested thereafter for the gene mutation. She had one mutation (making her heterozygous? ....sorry.....I did not pay attention in high school biology) (-: Her doctor put her on baby aspirin when she got pregnant again, since the disorder may cause clotting, and she carried her third pregnancy to term. Since it was a genetic thing, I was tested before DH and I even started trying to conceive. I also tested positive for one gene mutation, but my OBGYN said that it was nothing to worry about. I wondered why she didn't put me on baby aspirin and it's definitely something I'm going to talk to the RE about, since I did suffer a miscarriage. I do think it is pretty common, but I don't think it should prevent you from carrying a healthy baby. HTH a little!
February 9th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you ladies so much for your help and you have all eased my mind.

Michelle, that is so good to know they can test early for a neural tube defect.

Babysam and Mlgteach, thank you for your stories as well. It is so great to know I'm not alone in all this. I thought I had some freak thing. I just want a baby more than anything in the world, but I don't want to compromise health of a baby, so it's good to hear you all have had success stories.

As an FYI, I searched on the High Risk Pregnacy board here and search MTHFR and found a few hits and the info there was very helpful too since there are some girls over there with this situation and have had success too.

IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search