IVF question

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2007, 04:26 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, so dh and i were talking about if IUI doesnt work with us will we do IVF.
Im not squeamish about needles usually, but the idea of actually putting one in my body MYSELF..has me a little jumpy about the whole thing

Ive heard the progesterone shots are the worst ones. Do you HAVE to take shots or can you take it in pill form??? I know the lupron shots are a sure thing no getting around them but im hoping that maybe i wouldnt have to do progesterone shots..

OH! Has anyone done the GIFT...my ins company covers GIFT but not IVF..go figure... i know its the same as IVF EXCEPT they mix the sperm and eggies and put them back in the fallopian tubes unfertilized. Still have to take shots and all that good stuff. Supposedly from what ive read sucess rates are about the same as IVF. Just curious to see if anyone here had done it.

Thanks Ladies!

February 9th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Christin ~ I have a friend going through her 1st 1/2 of an IVF cycle & we were talking today. From what she told me, there is no way around the prog. shots. Sorry! They are suppose to be the most effective & since IVF is already so intense, no point in losing the baby b/c your prog is low. She said it is a shot a day after they put the fertilized eggs back & it is submuscular meaning that the needle part of the shot is about 1 1/2 to 2" long. Yes, it has to go all the way in. Yes, it hurts like he!!. From what I understand, there is no way around it. SORRY!!!!

Oh, as for prog...the pills are least effective, then cream, then suppositories & finally shots. That is the order of how they will give it to you normally.

February 9th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Standard protocol at my IVF clinic is progesterone in suppository form. If it's a fresh cycle, you're on 2 x 200mg per day starting at day of retrieval and you keep that up all the way through until about week 8 of pregnancy (it can sometimes go a few weeks longer). For an FET cycle, it's 3 x 200mg per day - starting the day after your lining measures 0.8 or higher (usually around day 11 or 12) and continues through until week 8 or so of the pg. So, I have never had to do the progesterone shots.

The needles I take are for the stimulants, the antangonist drug and then finally the trigger. They are all taken in either the stomach or the thigh and don't really hurt at all. The worst part is getting past the first one because I found it really hard to stab myself the first time. But after that, it's really no big deal.

I have heard that the progesterone shot is worse, and I guess it depends on where you go as to what their standard protocol will be. You're so heavily monitored in an IVF cycle, that if one form wasn't doing the trick, I'm sure they'd change.

February 9th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Ah, I am so glad you chimed in Gillian! I know that all my shots before O are subcutanious. Gonal-F & Menapur, then the HCG shot is submuscular in the upper buttox region. I also took DH to the class on how to learn about giving shots & thing he will be doing it even though I am not queezy w/ needles, the anticipation of it going in by me may make it harder. I actually like to watch needles go in. Yeah, weird but it really doesn't bother me. Take DH along! Its a great bonding experience.

February 9th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Hmm Ive never really asked my RE what his protocol is for IVF whether he prefers his patients to do the shots or not. I think I will call the RE's office Monday and ask them which he prefers or if he even gives a choice.
It would be nice to NOT have to take the shots thats for darn sure!!
Thank you Ladies!

February 9th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
You will find that there could be several different protocols even within the same clinic - it will be tailored to your specific case and your RE will know what is best for you. But for sure, talk through all the options and see what will end up being the best for you.

February 9th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Glad we could help out a bit! Keep us updated when you talk to dr's office & find out something!

February 10th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With our first IVF cycle we did progesterone vaginal suppositories twice a day... totally not painful, just sorta gross. Then for our 2nd IVF cycle we did progesterone injections PLUS oral progesterone pills. And you know, the shots weren't all THAT bad. If you ice beforehand, the shot itself doesn't hurt too much. My butt was sore several hours later, but not as bad as I was expecting. I think ice it beforehand, and make sure you rub it for a few minutes afterwards to disperse the medication.

Also, I did all the injections myself, and that wasn't too bad either. That way I didn't have to worry if DH wasn't coming back from work until late or had to go on a business trip. I guess after the number of injections IVF requires, you just get used to sticking needles in yourself.

Anyway, I hope IUI works and you don't have to go on to IVF.

August 2012 December 2012
February 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I also did IVF and my clinic required everyone to do the projesterone injections in the upper buttocks for at least 8 weeks after retrieval (if pregnant) and then go to suppositories twice a day for two weeks. The shots are not that bad at all. I iced beforehand, DH gave me the shot, and I was up and doing daily activities like nothing happened. When you get to about 8 weeks of shots your muscle tissue gets very sore and you are glad to have the suppositories.

The sub-Q shots are pretty easy. I did all of mine in my stomach. Once you do one of those, the rest are much easier. I was on Lupron, Gonal-F, and Repronex.

All clinics have different protocols and may let you do suppositories instead of progesterone injections.

As for GIFT you are very lucky to be able to have your insurance company cover that! Mine did not cover fertility procedures at all but did cover about 50 percent of my meds. I would talk to your RE about doing GIFT and let them know your insurance company covers it. Maybe if you have to resort to a form of IVF they will consider the GIFT procedure.

Good luck!

February 10th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Im really hoping that IUI works for us since we were able to get preg once on our own, but i dont want my hopes up too high. It took us almost 3years to get preg the 1st time.

We have 3 more cycles of IUI before we have to consider IVF or Gift.

We have told our RE that ins covers the GIFT he told us that he would do it for us eventhough he would prefer to do IVF only because of my husbands sperm count, but we havent actually sat down and talked wiht him about doing it.

Im thinking that if our IUI's dont work we will do the GIFT sometime this summer or early fall.

You know i never thought about using ice, I bet that does make the shots alot less painful.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search