To those with Male Factor...

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2007, 07:05 PM
toomuchtime75's Avatar Member
Hello ladies..Ok...for those with male factor, of which I am one, I was wondering what you're doing...DH's sperm count stays around 5 million... they gave us a less than 1% chance of conceiving 'naturally'. They said our best bet was for IVF/ICSI...but it seems that some of you may possibly be doing something 'other than' IVF so far. If you are one of these I'm speaking of, or have a story of your own, please share with me so I don't feel soooo lost...LOL I would love to 'try something' other than IVF first, but the way my RE is talking, he doesn't even want to TRY anything else. Input PLEASE!! Thank you!!

February 13th, 2007, 07:25 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
HI!
RE told us the same thing that we should do IVF first...BUT we didnt want to hop right into it. We actually decided to do a cycle of IUI last July..after the sperm wash he had 7 million good sperm, but it didnt result in a pregnancy.

We took 3 months off and while i was waiting for AF to show in Nov i noticed that i was a week late...what do ya know but we got preg on our own!! Pregnancy turned out to be a blighted ovum though.

Since it took us 2 1/2 yrs to get preg the first time i didnt want to wait and ttc on our own so we decided to go right back to the RE.

So last week we talked to our RE and he actually is pretty hopeful now with our chances of getting preg with just IUI since it happened on our own once. Im actually waiting for AF to show up so i can start taking my meds to start my next IUI cycle.

Even with a low sperm count I think its still possible to get pregnant with an IUI cycle because they put the best sperm into your uterus and all they have to do is wait for the egg/eggs to show up. Plus IUI for us only cost $250. So that helps out alot with doing it first instead of IVF.

RE is giving us 3 more IUI cycles then after that our only option is IVF/GIFT for us.
Hope this helps you out a bit.

February 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi sweetie! I noticed both of your posts & wanted to say we also have male factor, SA was 14 million BUT our RE gave him LOTS of vitamins to pump that number up. He has to go in for another SA but I am sure that the count will go up. Is your DH taking anything? If not, you may want to look up on google about what he can take to raise that count. Best of luck!

February 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it depends on what exactly your male factors are. If it's just low count, then IUI is a decent option. However, our issues were count, motility, and morphology... so IUI with DH's sperm wasn't ever an option (we were given about a 2% chance of ever getting pg with DH's sperm, IUI and clomid). We went right to IVF, had a fresh cycle with a BFN and then a frozen cycle with a chemical pg. Now we're back to IUI... but with donor sperm. So yeah, that's where we are.

August 2012 December 2012
February 14th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have male factor, also. DH has low volume (1 m/l) and subsequently, low count (6 million total, prewash). DH's urologist put him on Clomid in August and we are going today for another s/a to see if 6 months on Clomid has done anything to improve his count. Even if his count has improved, they told us at his last appointment to expect an RE referral for IUI if I was not pregnant by February (and I'm not ), so I am anticipating getting our referral today. I have heard encouraging things about men on Clomid, though, so I'm hoping for the best!
February 14th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My so doesnt even have sperm so we have to go through IUI with donor sperm.

February 14th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah our probs are not just count but also motility etc.
Also i have mild pcos and all those things combined make ICSI our only choice.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for hun.

Sarah
February 14th, 2007, 02:58 PM
toomuchtime75's Avatar Member
Thank you all for your responses...DH did do Clomid 50 mg for 6 months with NO improvement! Very discouraging for us! But please don't take this as a negative thing for anyone else going through this regimen. I too have heard positive outcomes from people taking the Clomid. We also tried a steroid at one time that again, didn't improve nor did it change. I'm starting to relax more about the IVF/ICSI, but I wanted to compare apples and oranges with you ladies who have 'been there, done that'. I guess I'm nervous about the first time not taking as I've seen several posts that suggested the first cycle resulting in BFN. I'm keeping positive about this though and know it's still in God's hands! If it's meant to be the first cycle, then it will be. Hope all is well today!

February 14th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Christy - here's my advice about starting IVF... the worst thing you can do to yourself right now is EXPECT the first cycle to work. When you build your hopes up THAT much for one particular cycle, it makes it all that much worse when it fails. Not that it WILL fail, but remember, the average couple that gets pg with IVF takes 4 cycles (I just found that out from my RE). That means that some get pg from their 1st cycle, but most do not. Depending on what the infertiily issues are, fresh IVF cycles have about a 20-30% chance of success per cycle. Just keep that in mind and hopefully it'll be an easier process for you.

August 2012 December 2012

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search