introduction

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2007, 07:06 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies! Well, as of yesterday I no longer have any fallopian tubes . . . so IVF here we come. We found a place not too far away that 1 cycle will cost about $11,779, which, well, we can raise that. Hopefully it won't take more than 1 cycle. I have two good ovaries and my uterus is fine.
I haven't changed my pregnancy ticker yet - they couldn't rule out an intrauterine pregnancy yesterday so we can hope for a miracle, but we doubt it; anyway the ectopic was removed yesterday so i go back on March 26th to see what my HCG's are and if they aren't dropping or if AF hasn't showed by then I will get an ultrasound to see what's up.
Wow, if there is one hiding in the uterus, that would be too weird! That's what happened last time, but that one stopped developing long before I could convince the drs that I did have an ectopic - LONG story there!

Anyone else that's had an ectopic, did you ever get any of the normal pregnancy uterine twinges? I'd been having them like crazy this time around (didn't last time at all) which is why I really didn't think it was ectopic this time. That, and i was in NO pain from the ectopic. I must have like zero nerves over there bc it doesn't even hurt where they removed the tube. Even the incisions don't hurt. Weirdly enough, it hurts on the left side where they didn't do anything and there's no incisions! Anyway, that's why they haven't completely ruled out an intrauterine pg yet bc the drs can't come up with an anwer to why my uterus was going crazy if there's not anything in there.
February 14th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Greenchild! I can't really relate to your situation, but I'm interested in hearing your long story about your prior ectopic/intrauterine pg. So both your tubes are gone? You seem so upbeat about it all... that's very impressive that you have such a great attitude. Anyway, I'll be hoping for a miracle for you, since who knows why your uterus is reacting the way it is!

Eva

August 2012 December 2012
February 14th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Welcome!

I'm sorry for what you're going through right now, it is definitely a lot.

I also have had my tubes removed - a little different situation than you, but mostly gone none the less. I had fluid building up in mine and that fluid was washing through my uterus which would make implantation next to impossible. I was an IVF'er anyway because of the tubes being fully blocked, so there was really no harm in just taking them out. In fact, it's really a benefit for me, given my situation.

I'd be curious to know more about your situation... you had your tubes removed yesterday, so I'm assuming they were to the point of almost rupturing? And as for also having a pg intrauteral at the same time, that would be something. But they should be able to tell that by now, based on your ticket, no? Do you know your HCG level is now? Because if it's over 2000, a pg can be detected on u/s. I found it a bit strange that they're not bringing you back in until March 26th - I'm assuming that's a post-op checkup, but I would think they may want to check the HCG sooner if they are still thinking there is something else going on.

I haven't had an ectopic myself, so I can't help you out on the twinges you're having in your uterus. That could just be some pulling and stretching going on if your body still thinks you're pregnant (i.e. HCG levels haven't dropped yet).

Your spirits sound good and that's amazing given what you're going through right now. I hope you get all the answers you're looking for soon.

February 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Blessedx3
sorry you had to go through all that hun..... but hopefully soon you'll have another bfp... but who knows maybe you'll get that miracle and theres still a baby in there for you!!!! much love hun!!!!
February 14th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome to our board Greenchild.
I am Sarah 25 and i am co-host here.

I am sorry to hear of your loss and pray that you get a sticky bfp from IVF soon.
We are to start our IVF/ICSI cycle next mth also and im sooo excited.
There are actually a few of us about to do IVF again.

Sarah
February 14th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Hi ladies! I'm in good spirits bc I truly believe everything happens for a reason. That, and I've had so much bad crap happen that nothing really fazes me anymore. ugh. Anyway . . . a few of you wanted to hear my history about the first ectopic. So here goes - and it's a long one!

I got pg on June 20th 2006 - i know the exact date bc we hadn't had any "fun" for 3 weeks prior to that! (and I have normal 28 day cycles) Anyway, on July 14th, I got the weirdest cramp and pain high up on my left side and I started to bleed a few minutes after that. I went to the ER, and they sent me to get my 1st HCG test, which was like 196 or something. And sent me home, saying I was probably having a m/c. So I got on the internet and did alot of research bc I wanted to know what m/c symptoms were and I found JM and the experiences listed were definitely not what I was experiencing. So at that point I began to think ectopic. I went back to the dr 3 more times after the ER visit. I kept making appts bc I was still having the same weird pain, and NO cramping or clotting, just bleeding. My HCG's were hovering, going up and down and never made it past 325. I specifically asked the drs about it being ectopic and they, after doing an u/s, said there was blood pooling in my uterus and assured me that it was NOT ectopic and sent me home, again. And all this time I had been telling them my history, that basically I had none - no infections or anything but I did use to have painful periods as a pre-teen and had what one dr said was a "tender spot" on the left side of my uterus, discovered during a vaginal exam as a pre-teen trying to find the reason for the bad cramps. At that time, all those drs did was put me on bc, which helped with the cramps and as long as the tender spot was not touched, i didn't even know it was there.
Anyway, back to last summer. So I made another appt. I was seeing 2 drs bc the one I had seen first was on vacation during the 2nd dr appt. At the 3rd visit, the original dr kept trying to push methotrexate (sp?) to end the pg and I reminded him AGAIN the problems I'd had as a pre-teen, and that I was not experiencing "normal" m/c symptoms, that I had been bleeding for 3 weeks now (internally, too I was having lots of black tarry stools), and that I still had the same weird higher-up pain, so he did another u/s and saw ALOT of "black blood" in my uterus and could determine at that point that I was bleeding from my left tube. He actually brought the dr from the last appt into the exam room (with the vaginal u/s still in place) and kind of yelled at him for not seeing this earlier. He sent me home bc their same-day surgery was Thursdays and it was Wed. So I was to come back the next day for surgery. The dr told me I would be having a laparoscopy (sp?) and that a D&C would not be necessary, that they rarely perform them. He also pointed out the dr that would be doing the surgery but I didn't get to meet him. Then he left and a nurse came in, who told me I was having a hysteroscopy, NOT the lap. I argued with her to no avail. So I was sent home and I had to call to make th appt for surgery for the next day. When they asked what I was having done, I said I wasn't sure and repeated what the dr said and what the nurse said. They told me I was scheduled for the lap, the hyst, AND the D & C. I got mad and told them to check with the dr. They didn't call back so when I showed up for surgery I still didn't know what procedures I was having done. I did find out that the D&C had been taken off the list. I made them wait to put me under, I demanded to talk to the dr. I was a real b*tch, let me tell you! Come to find out, the original dr was doing the surgery, not the guy he'd pointed out. Fine, whatever. He said I was going to have both the lap and the hyst procedures. When I came to, I was alone, and when the nurses finally came in they couldn't tell me anything, what was done or how it went. It was really bad as far as miscommunication, during my surgery the nurses told DH at first they took my ovary, then came back and said they only took part of it, then they said he didn't take it. Then the dr talked to him and said "the damage was too great and she only needs one" and he walked off, not allowing DH to ask any questions. So we really didn't know what happened! Then to try and get a nurse to help me to go to the bathroom . . . ugh! And the anethesologist was HORRIBLE! but that's another story! anyway I called the dr's office as soon as I got home to find out what the heck happened. No one called back. I called a couple days later, and no one called back. We had the tape of the surgery, so we watched it and I went online to compare notes and determined they removed the left tube and left the ovary in place. I actually had to wait until my post op 3 weeks later to talk to the dr. He told me he'd never received my messages, then told me, confirming from what I'd guessed from reading online, that he took the tube and NOT the ovary. He said he could have saved it, but they did a dye test on my right tube during the surgery and it was pronounced fine so he just removed the troublesome left one. Said it was so filled with scar tissue that even if he had saved it I would probably have another ectopic. Then . . . then he tells me he removed some tissue from my uterus that he believed was fetal tissue, saying he felt we'd been pg with twins (heterotopic), but that the tissue was so deteriorated that the pathology report could not determine it for sure, but that it was his strong opinion that that's what that tissue was.
We let him know in no uncertain terms how unhappy we'd been from the start - they let me bleed internally for 3 weeks (blech - you should have seen all the huge clots they cleaned out of my abdomen!) before believing me, and then all the miscommunication . . . that we would never return to that hospital, for anything, ever! I even wrote a letter to the head of the Mayo system, but of course I never heard back from them.
So, now we drive 80 miles to use the Fairview Ridges system, and the care is much better. Although I didn't agree with the dr that this pg was ectopic, since the symptoms were not anything at all like what I had experienced with the 1st pg, well I was wrong and it was! So they took my remaining tube bc it ruptured Monday night, and I had my 1hr nurse OB appt Tues am, so lucky for me I was already at the hospital yesterday! Funny, though, I wasn't in any pain from this rupture, I thought I had gas and a few farts made me feel so much better that I was actually feeling great Tues (yesterday) am.
Well, I think that brings it all up to speed! Now just on to waiting for Monday the 26th . . . and to find out whether or not I've got an intrauterine pg after all. My life lesson from all of this is patience . . . and I think I'll have the patience of a saint when this is all over!!!
February 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Aidan's Mommy
That's quite a story, for sure. I've had several surgeries myself and fortunately I've not had any major issues. I have exceptional doctors. I strongly believe that adversity builds character - the more you're up against, the stronger you become.

Question for you though... I'm still confused as to why they are waiting over a month to confirm if you have a viable pg still? If you're certain of your dates and you are indeed nearly 8 weeks pg. that would definitely show up on an u/s. I would've thought they'd confirm that before they performed surgery too.

February 15th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Blessedx3
wow!!!! thats alot you've been through soo much, i hope that you do still have a little bean in there...
February 15th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Quote:
That's quite a story, for sure. I've had several surgeries myself and fortunately I've not had any major issues. I have exceptional doctors. I strongly believe that adversity builds character - the more you're up against, the stronger you become.

Question for you though... I'm still confused as to why they are waiting over a month to confirm if you have a viable pg still? If you're certain of your dates and you are indeed nearly 8 weeks pg. that would definitely show up on an u/s. I would've thought they'd confirm that before they performed surgery too.[/b]
I agree! But dang, how strong do I have to get???
They should have been able to see something on the u/s on Tues, but there was so much blood in there they thought it might be hiding it and they said they can't see anything anyway until the HCG's reach 2000. I was at 1770 on Tues am, which is still really low but not unheard of, and considerably higher than with my last pg (never got past 325). And they said if I do have a viable pg in there, the surgery I had wouldn't hurt it at all. I go back on Monday the 26th - only a week & 1/2 away - and they will be able to confirm then at my post-op. I'm supposed to learn patience from all of this - so what's another week and a half wait, right?

Sheesh, and someone just hit my car this morning, too . . . at least no one was hurt, it was just parked on the street outside the house. Bleh.
February 15th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Quote:
I agree! But dang, how strong do I have to get???
They should have been able to see something on the u/s on Tues, but there was so much blood in there they thought it might be hiding it and they said they can't see anything anyway until the HCG's reach 2000. I was at 1770 on Tues am, which is still really low but not unheard of, and considerably higher than with my last pg (never got past 325). And they said if I do have a viable pg in there, the surgery I had wouldn't hurt it at all. I go back on Monday the 26th - only a week & 1/2 away - and they will be able to confirm then at my post-op. I'm supposed to learn patience from all of this - so what's another week and a half wait, right?

Sheesh, and someone just hit my car this morning, too . . . at least no one was hurt, it was just parked on the street outside the house. Bleh.[/b]

OH!! Well that makes more sense, I thought it was March 26th they were making you wait for and that just made no sense. I'll be okay. lol

February 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey sweetie! I didn't realize you had gotten pg again. Shows how much I have been around the ttc boards until recently, LMAO! I am really hoping there is a little one growing inside your uterus as that would be a true miracle. I can't believe you are having to wait for all this to finally be confirmed. Welcome to the board! Any questions you may have, let us know.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search