Log In Sign Up

Femara


Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
February 16th, 2007, 05:31 AM
jlk jlk is offline
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,760
Hi Gals!

I thought I would drop in and ask all of you newbies if you are on Femara, taken Femara, or are going to use it to conceive? I have a friend of mine who has fertility issues and after having her first child went back for help to have another child. The doctor is having her try a new drug called Femara. We have looked it up on the internet but have not found anything about using it for infertility. My friend was just curious about Femara and if anyone has tried it yet.
__________________











Reply With Quote
  #2  
February 16th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Middle of nowhere, ON, Canada
Posts: 18,187
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Hi Jamie...

First off, I can't believe you're only a few days away from entering into the 2nd trimester... congrats! I'm so happy for you.

As for the Femara, I have not taken it personally, but I have heard of situations where it is being used for infertility. I don't know much about it, only that it helps to maintain the correct levels of estrogen without having to take estrogen itself. I believe it has fewer side affects, which makes it a little bit more desirable. I'm not sure under which circumstances it would be used instead of estrace though.

Try googling "femara infertility" - I got a few hits that way that you may find useful.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
February 16th, 2007, 06:56 AM
KittyMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 2,429
Send a message via MSN to KittyMom Send a message via Yahoo to KittyMom
Quote:
Hi Gals!

I thought I would drop in and ask all of you newbies if you are on Femara, taken Femara, or are going to use it to conceive? I have a friend of mine who has fertility issues and after having her first child went back for help to have another child. The doctor is having her try a new drug called Femara. We have looked it up on the internet but have not found anything about using it for infertility. My friend was just curious about Femara and if anyone has tried it yet.[/b]
At first I was like no way am I trying this drug because it is off-label use for infertility (it's a cancer drug). After doing ALOT of research and talking to my doctor's office I really think this drug will at some point take over for Clomid users. The side effects are virtually non-existant and the risk of multiples is much less as well.

You can read both good and bad on the internet - if it's taken while pregnant it does cause birth defects - well so does Clomid. If either of you have access to FF message boards, there is a great board there with ladies on Femara. Also if you check out the triggering thread I posted yesterday, it's a medical journal write-up with stats and has some comparisions of clomid vs femara.

I would have been starting it next cycle with a trigger had they not found my blocked tubes.
__________________
Stina, to<div align="center">

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">My Blog | My Chart</span>
I Love you forever, I Like you for always, As long as I'm living, my Daddy you will be
11/20/1939 - 05/31-2007</span>
[/b]</div>
Reply With Quote
  #4  
February 16th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Regular
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6
I am currently taking Femara for infertility. I took one round of Clomid at 100mg and it didn't do anything for me. But I got those nasty hot flashes and headaches. I didn't complain about it but my Dr still switched me to Femara. I took 5mg first and that didn't do anything, but I didn't have any side effects. Then I took 7.5mg and I had a 19mm follicle! I don't know if I ovulated or not, I think I did, but I'm half way through my tww now. They haven't done any follow-up after my ultrasound that showed the follicle which is why I don't know for sure if I ovulated. I don't get normal periods because I don't ovulate. So I'm hoping for a bfp (obviously) but I'll settle for getting my period on my own signaling that I did indeed ovulate. If that happens they've already prescribed 10mg for my next dosage of Femara. So far none of them have given me any side effects and it's supposed to not have the bad effects on cm that clomid does. It may not currently be slated for infertility but it does the same thing clomid does only by a different mechanism.

Femara blocks aromatase, an enzyme that is a major source of estrogen in many major body tissues. Like tamoxifen, aromatase inhibitors are being used for breast cancer and are being increasingly utilized for ovulation induction. Taking an aromatase inhibitor early in the follicular phase can induce ovulation by releasing the hypothalamus or pituitary from estrogen negative feedback on GnRH and gonadotropin secretion, leading to an increase in gonadotropin production which would stimulate ovarian follicular development. Early studies suggest they may be useful in inducing ovulation in subfertile anovulatory women. They especially hold promise for the select group of women that have deficient mucus or underdeveloped endometrial lining while on clomiphene citrate (Clomid, what I was on last month).

Clomid, what I was on before does something similar. In essence it appears that Clomid fools the body into believing that the estrogen level is low. This altered feedback information causes the hypothalamus (an area of the brain) to make and release more gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) which in turn causes the pituitary to make and release more FSH and LH. More follicle stimulating hormone and more luteinizing hormone should result in the release of one or more mature eggs - ovulation.

I haven't really found a great femara infertility board so if you do find one let me know what it is.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote
  #5  
February 16th, 2007, 12:09 PM
jlk jlk is offline
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,760
Quote:
Hi Jamie...

First off, I can't believe you're only a few days away from entering into the 2nd trimester... congrats! I'm so happy for you.

As for the Femara, I have not taken it personally, but I have heard of situations where it is being used for infertility. I don't know much about it, only that it helps to maintain the correct levels of estrogen without having to take estrogen itself. I believe it has fewer side affects, which makes it a little bit more desirable. I'm not sure under which circumstances it would be used instead of estrace though.

Try googling "femara infertility" - I got a few hits that way that you may find useful.

Thanks for the info Gillian! I can't believe I am so close to my second trimester. It sometimes feels like it is taking forever for the baby to get here! I am sure it will go by fast especially once spring is here and I am not stuck in the house in the evenings and on weekends because it is so cold outside!


I am still reading most of the posts on this board just because I miss you guys and because I am waiting to see how things go with you, LadyBird, and everyone else. I really want to see you guys get your sticky BFP this year![/b]

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Gals!

I thought I would drop in and ask all of you newbies if you are on Femara, taken Femara, or are going to use it to conceive? I have a friend of mine who has fertility issues and after having her first child went back for help to have another child. The doctor is having her try a new drug called Femara. We have looked it up on the internet but have not found anything about using it for infertility. My friend was just curious about Femara and if anyone has tried it yet.[/b]
At first I was like no way am I trying this drug because it is off-label use for infertility (it's a cancer drug). After doing ALOT of research and talking to my doctor's office I really think this drug will at some point take over for Clomid users. The side effects are virtually non-existant and the risk of multiples is much less as well.

You can read both good and bad on the internet - if it's taken while pregnant it does cause birth defects - well so does Clomid. If either of you have access to FF message boards, there is a great board there with ladies on Femara. Also if you check out the triggering thread I posted yesterday, it's a medical journal write-up with stats and has some comparisions of clomid vs femara.

I would have been starting it next cycle with a trigger had they not found my blocked tubes.
[/b]
Thanks so much for the information. We did check out the triggering thread you posted and she now has a better understanding of the drug. Neither of us have a FF account but maybe she will have to sign up and talk to other women going through the same thing.


Quote:
I am currently taking Femara for infertility. I took one round of Clomid at 100mg and it didn't do anything for me. But I got those nasty hot flashes and headaches. I didn't complain about it but my Dr still switched me to Femara. I took 5mg first and that didn't do anything, but I didn't have any side effects. Then I took 7.5mg and I had a 19mm follicle! I don't know if I ovulated or not, I think I did, but I'm half way through my tww now. They haven't done any follow-up after my ultrasound that showed the follicle which is why I don't know for sure if I ovulated. I don't get normal periods because I don't ovulate. So I'm hoping for a bfp (obviously) but I'll settle for getting my period on my own signaling that I did indeed ovulate. If that happens they've already prescribed 10mg for my next dosage of Femara. So far none of them have given me any side effects and it's supposed to not have the bad effects on cm that clomid does. It may not currently be slated for infertility but it does the same thing clomid does only by a different mechanism.

Femara blocks aromatase, an enzyme that is a major source of estrogen in many major body tissues. Like tamoxifen, aromatase inhibitors are being used for breast cancer and are being increasingly utilized for ovulation induction. Taking an aromatase inhibitor early in the follicular phase can induce ovulation by releasing the hypothalamus or pituitary from estrogen negative feedback on GnRH and gonadotropin secretion, leading to an increase in gonadotropin production which would stimulate ovarian follicular development. Early studies suggest they may be useful in inducing ovulation in subfertile anovulatory women. They especially hold promise for the select group of women that have deficient mucus or underdeveloped endometrial lining while on clomiphene citrate (Clomid, what I was on last month).

Clomid, what I was on before does something similar. In essence it appears that Clomid fools the body into believing that the estrogen level is low. This altered feedback information causes the hypothalamus (an area of the brain) to make and release more gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) which in turn causes the pituitary to make and release more FSH and LH. More follicle stimulating hormone and more luteinizing hormone should result in the release of one or more mature eggs - ovulation.

I haven't really found a great femara infertility board so if you do find one let me know what it is.

Jennifer[/b]
Wow! You have definately given some insight for us about this drug! Thanks so much for your help! I will let you know if either of us come across a good Femara board. Good luck to you in this 2WW! Do you know when you are testing?
__________________











Reply With Quote
  #6  
February 16th, 2007, 12:20 PM
KittyMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 2,429
Send a message via MSN to KittyMom Send a message via Yahoo to KittyMom
The FF board is http://www.fertilityfriend.com/Circl...orum.php?f=275 - it's kind of hard to find (I couldn't find it, someone actually PM'd me the link). But of course always come back to JM after you've read there LOL
__________________
Stina, to<div align="center">

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">My Blog | My Chart</span>
I Love you forever, I Like you for always, As long as I'm living, my Daddy you will be
11/20/1939 - 05/31-2007</span>
[/b]</div>
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:15 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0