sperm and clomid

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2007, 06:09 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok so dh has some pretty crappy sperm....usually not alot of them and the ones that are there well....they dont like to move!!!!

So my question is how many DH's here have low counts AND have taken clomid or some other drug and actually had improvements after 3 months?

My RE said that clomid doesnt really help men, that in test with placebo's that the clomid didnt do much better than the placebo pill. But ive also read a few posts here and there from women who said their DH's got an improvement after 3 months on clomid.

My dh is trying to quit smoking since that is a big no no for healthy sperm and is taking vitamins. We havent had a s/a since July 06 when we had an IUI. His last 3 were like this .... 3million, 12 million, and then after the sperm wash he had 7million. Also i dont remember exact accounts on motility and morphology but in a nutshell his swimmers were pretty deformed and lazy...suckers didnt want to swim

We have talked about this next IUI and if the sperm count isnt very good he is going to go back to the urologist and see if there is anything else they can do for him. (urologist wanted to put him on clomid before)

So if anyone here has any stories about their dh sperm count and how they got it to raise or just be better quality sperm ie..morphology and motility. I would REALLY appreaciate it!!!!!

Expecting Vivienne Monroe!
14dpo 311!
18dpo 2440!

February 19th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I posted my DH/Clomid success story a few days ago, but I'll give you the background, if you want. DH has low testosterone. Unfortunately, they did a baseline testosterone check, but not a S/A. The urologist thought that if DH was on Clomid, it would raise his testosterone and then if there were any problems with his sperm, perhaps the Clomid would be beneficial, as well. After 3 months on Clomid, we went in to have a S/A and found that DH's motility was 74% and his morphology was good, but he had low volume (1 m/l) and subsequently low counts. The urologist kept him on Clomid and at 6 months, his counts had gone up by 17 million! Now, I have no idea whether that was the Clomid, or we just got lucky that day! What can be proven is that my DH's testosterone doubled on Clomid (it was REALLY low to begin with). I assume they are all tied together and that the Clomid was beneficial. The urologist did tell us that if DH had had problems with motility or morphology, the Clomid likely would not have helped.....Anyway, it might definitely be something worth looking into. I hope you guys get the help that you're looking for!
February 19th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Ok so dh has some pretty crappy sperm....usually not alot of them and the ones that are there well....they dont like to move!!!!

So my question is how many DH's here have low counts AND have taken clomid or some other drug and actually had improvements after 3 months?

My RE said that clomid doesnt really help men, that in test with placebo's that the clomid didnt do much better than the placebo pill. But ive also read a few posts here and there from women who said their DH's got an improvement after 3 months on clomid.

My dh is trying to quit smoking since that is a big no no for healthy sperm and is taking vitamins. We havent had a s/a since July 06 when we had an IUI. His last 3 were like this .... 3million, 12 million, and then after the sperm wash he had 7million. Also i dont remember exact accounts on motility and morphology but in a nutshell his swimmers were pretty deformed and lazy...suckers didnt want to swim

We have talked about this next IUI and if the sperm count isnt very good he is going to go back to the urologist and see if there is anything else they can do for him. (urologist wanted to put him on clomid before)

So if anyone here has any stories about their dh sperm count and how they got it to raise or just be better quality sperm ie..morphology and motility. I would REALLY appreaciate it!!!!![/b]
Thank you! I remember reading about someones dh/clomid story..couldnt remember who though! Its just so frustrating that there are so many things they can do for a woman to make her ovulate and such but for a man its pretty much...what you see is what you get! I really think dh's count might be genetic because his father only had one child (dh) after 12 years of marriage to dh's mom....and I know it wasnt dh's mom because she went on to have 3 more kids after the marriage ended. Im praying that we will have a really good count with this IUI.

14dpo 311!
18dpo 2440!

February 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My DB has similar probs and IUI would not have worked for us due to this.
Hence the IVF.
I have read that taking a daily vitamin of zinc, Vitamin C and also L-Carnatine can help
boost production etc. Hey, anything is worth a try right?
We have been following that for DB the last few wks hoping for a miracle before IVF

Also smoking is a HUGE factor and also Alcohol. The obvious issues really.

Our RE actually mentioned trying clomid for DB but said it was no miracle worker and that
it would delay our time scale once again. We decided enough was enough and bit the bullet
for IVF

Good luck and i hope things work out for you both.

Sarah
February 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM
What about FertliAid...anyone here used it for men? I was looking up the vitamins and supplements needed for healthy sperm and ran across this supplement for men. Seems to have all the right stuff in it. Its $75 bucks for 3 months worth...so thats why I was curios if anyone here had taken it.

14dpo 311!
18dpo 2440!

February 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the thing with sperm and clomid is this: if the reason for DH's poor S/A is because he has low testosterone, Clomid is a miracle-worker. However, if he is hormonally normal, it is unlikely clomid will significantly help anything. This was also confirmed by my DH's urologist, who was hoping low testosterone was the reason for DH's awful S/A (even worse than your DH's), but unfortunately, his testosterone was completely normal. Hope that helps clear things up a bit.

August 2012 December 2012
February 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Quote:
I think the thing with sperm and clomid is this: if the reason for DH's poor S/A is because he has low testosterone, Clomid is a miracle-worker. However, if he is hormonally normal, it is unlikely clomid will significantly help anything. This was also confirmed by my DH's urologist, who was hoping low testosterone was the reason for DH's awful S/A (even worse than your DH's), but unfortunately, his testosterone was completely normal. Hope that helps clear things up a bit.[/b]
You know i dont remember if they tested his testosterone or not...its been so long ago. I think they did just an exam and then the s/a. If they did test i dont remember anyone saying what the results were. Thats definetly something we need to look into if they didnt test already.
Thanks!

14dpo 311!
18dpo 2440!

February 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Fertilaid is suppose to be very good for men who are ttc. It has all the vitamins in it that he needs anyway PLUS extra for sperm production/motility. When we went to our RE, he said he was glad that DH was taking it. Now, that doesn't mean it will solve the problems BUT it is definitely cheaper than other alternatives. Also, so that you know, sperm begin to be made about 12 weeks prior to ejaculating so anything in those 3 months can affect the sperm, kill them, or make them slower. Make sure DH is on a plan to stay healthy just as much as he is popping vitamins to keep them healthy.

February 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Fertilaid is suppose to be very good for men who are ttc. It has all the vitamins in it that he needs anyway PLUS extra for sperm production/motility. When we went to our RE, he said he was glad that DH was taking it. Now, that doesn't mean it will solve the problems BUT it is definitely cheaper than other alternatives. Also, so that you know, sperm begin to be made about 12 weeks prior to ejaculating so anything in those 3 months can affect the sperm, kill them, or make them slower. Make sure DH is on a plan to stay healthy just as much as he is popping vitamins to keep them healthy.[/b]
Thank you! I actually just placed the 3month supply order for FertilAid. Alot of the websites i went to said it was a good supplement for men ttc. Yeah when we became aware of how long it takes a sperm to actually mature we were a little shocked. Last year dh started limiting his caffeine intake, he isnt much of a drinker a few beers on the weekend and he cut down on his smoking. He is getting the patch this weekend..hopefully it helps him stop for good. So for now we just have to wait and see if his good habits have paid off when we go for our IUI.

14dpo 311!
18dpo 2440!

February 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Are you planning on doing another SA before the IUI or do you just have the boys checked out at the same time? DH is driving me nuts about just giving his boys up at 1 time rather than going in twice!

February 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Are you planning on doing another SA before the IUI or do you just have the boys checked out at the same time? DH is driving me nuts about just giving his boys up at 1 time rather than going in twice![/b]
No we wont do one before IUI. The only problem with the clinic is that they only do a sperm count after the washing not before. They also dont test the morphology and motility rate. We will probably do a second s/a after the IUI if his numbers have gotten lower than last time. Oh i know..dh doesnt enjoy his s/a very much either

14dpo 311!
18dpo 2440!

February 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I figured mine would be understanding BUT noooo...getting him to do a s/a is harder than getting him to the dentist! They will check everything w/ the washing when we do an IUI. Hopefully his #s will have gone up!

February 19th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Quote:
I figured mine would be understanding BUT noooo...getting him to do a s/a is harder than getting him to the dentist! They will check everything w/ the washing when we do an IUI. Hopefully his #s will have gone up![/b]
I just tell dh to think about what i have to go through in a well woman exam before he complains about doing an s/a
With our first IUI dh had 7mill after the washing, so i think he probably had about 12 mil to start with considering what they have told us before. It will be really nice if his numbers have gone up!!!

14dpo 311!
18dpo 2440!

February 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Yep, I told him that a s/a is nothing compared to a SHG BUT he doesn't really see it that way for some reason. I guess it has something to do w/ putting them in a cup?

February 19th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Yep, I told him that a s/a is nothing compared to a SHG BUT he doesn't really see it that way for some reason. I guess it has something to do w/ putting them in a cup?[/b]
LOL it must be the cup...

14dpo 311!
18dpo 2440!

February 20th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My clinic doesn't really deal with the men all that much... they did a S/A, but as far as workup, he had to go to a urologist who specializes in male fertility. It was his urologist who did the hormonal testing (Testosterone, FSH, LH, prolactin, etc). THey even did some genetic testing on him as well. You should check with your clinic... your DH might get a better workup if he goes to a doctor who specializes in male issues (not just how to get around them, like our RE's do).

Our doctor didn't find anything *wrong* with my DH (I mean, no reason to account for his dismal S/A), but at least we know that there's nothing we can really do about it or treat.

August 2012 December 2012
February 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Quote:
My clinic doesn't really deal with the men all that much... they did a S/A, but as far as workup, he had to go to a urologist who specializes in male fertility. It was his urologist who did the hormonal testing (Testosterone, FSH, LH, prolactin, etc). THey even did some genetic testing on him as well. You should check with your clinic... your DH might get a better workup if he goes to a doctor who specializes in male issues (not just how to get around them, like our RE's do).

Our doctor didn't find anything *wrong* with my DH (I mean, no reason to account for his dismal S/A), but at least we know that there's nothing we can really do about it or treat.[/b]
I called the urologists office today to see if they had tested his testosterone, they said they had and it came back normal....Im thinking we probably wont ever know why his count is low. Just something i guess we have to work around. But it doesnt hurt to stuff him full of vitamins and hope it will make a difference

14dpo 311!
18dpo 2440!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search