The good, the bad, and the ugly

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I have more updates for you all... and as the subject of this post implies, some is good, some is bad, and some is just downright ugly. So here it goes...

The Good: I went in for my scan again this morning and it looks like my cycle is finally on track. I have 2 follicles that are finally mature, and about 4 or 5 that will most likely be mature by tomorrow. My lining decided it would finally start growing so it grew 2mm overnight and now I'm at 7.7mm, which means I'll be well above 8mm when they need me to be in a few days. The IUI will probably be Thursday morning! AND... the sperm sample has arrived, it's in some scuba-like tank in my bedroom (I had no idea the tank would be that huge!). SO that's the good news.

The Bad: ... as you all know, DH moved on Sunday and started a new job up in Minnesota... and to my shock, we have now lost our infertility coverage. There are 2 plans we can choose from... the PPO, which will cover "infertility diagnosis and treatment" and specifically excludes IUI and IVF (which I have asked, and will NOT cover ultrasounds, my current meds, or any of my bloodwork now, no matter how hard we argue that it's "treatment"). THe other choice is an HMO, which WILL cover about $10K of treatments (which is about 1 IVF cycle), but only once I move to minnesota and start with one of their in-network clinics. I'm not moving until May. This means that my current cycle is completely uncovered, and if I cycle again before I move, that will be self-pay as well. It comes out to about $3000 per cycle, give or take a few hundred dollars. I've been freaking out trying to figure out what to do. My parents have said they could help us out, but I really really don't want to take money from them. I'm 25, still a student, and have been living off my parents long enough... I don't want to need more $$$ from them, but we may have no choice for a few months. So I just don't know. I don't know if I should stop cycling until I move, or just self-pay with parental assistance until then, or what.

So that insurance news also counts as the "ugly" portion of this posting. I think it's bad enough to qualify as both bad and ugly, don't you?

Eva

August 2012 December 2012
February 20th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Oh boy, Eva... I swear if it's not one thing it's another on these journeys of ours. Just when things are looking good, whamo!

I think if I were in your shoes, I would probably proceed with your currrent cycle. You already have the sperm and things sound really great on the follicle/lining front - it would be a shame to waste the good opportunity. That's about $3000 out of pocket and I don't know your personal financial situation, but if that's a stretch, then a loan (either a credit card or the parents) may do it.

If you don't get pg with that IUI attempt (here's hoping you do and this bump in the road will be in the distant past!), I would wait until you move in a couple of months and get yourself covered again. You are young and do have time on your side at this point. I seem to recall your urgency to get going on the IVF in the first place was due in part to DH's sperm issues. Now that you've made the decision to go with donor sperm, that particular stress on the time should be gone.

Of course, that's me and I'm not you and you may think I'm off my rocker lol. I'm sure you will make the best decision for you. I'm just sorry you're having to deal with all this extra crap on top of everything else!

February 20th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Miles
Oh wow that is horrible with the insurance hun. I am sorry, but happy that your cycles are on track.
February 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Gees when it rains it pours doesnt it!!!!
My ins excludes IUI, and IVF too...they do cover diagnosis and treatment as long as it isnt IUI or IVF (not many options when you take those 2 out)
Dh and I are paying for everything through a company called Care Credit since we cant afford the out of pocket exspense for IUI's and IVF.

February 20th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh Eva! That is bad and ugly, you're right!

I'm with Gillian, I woudl go ahead with this month's cycle...I mean you got the sperm at your fingertips (literally and your eggs and lining are looking good. If and I hope this is not the case, but if it didn;t work this month then after that I would wait till I moved.

Obviously it's your decision. I wish only the best for you. let us know what you decide.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
February 21st, 2007, 05:00 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are definitely going to go ahead with this cycle. Our challenge right now is to figure out the intricacies of COBRA. For example, I know I am eligible because I am the spouse of someone who has recently voluntarily lost his job. However, I am not sure if I am still eligible if he accepts new insurance with his new job, even if I do not yet take on any new insurance. The other thing we are looking into is seeing if he can delay taking on his new insurance until May, so that we can both do COBRA for a few months. THey say he has to accept or decline it within 14 days of starting work, but they make an exception for "important life events", and perhaps we can somehow work it so that my moving and us moving into a new apartment at that time count as a life event. So, we're working on it. It's just an additional stress that I didn't need right now.

August 2012 December 2012
February 21st, 2007, 07:20 AM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Eva- I pray that it works out. Could you quailfy as a "life event" also simply by saying you're currently under a physician's care for a medical procedure w/o giving too much info?
Prayers, prayers, and more prayers coming to you!!!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
February 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry your journey is so darn hard Eva
I will scream from the rooftops when you get that sticky bfp, i promise

I am glad the sperm has arrived anyways and i hope that things get better for you
from now on, as you soooo deserve a break right now.

We are all here for you hun and wishing you tons of luck for your IUI.

((BIG HUGS))

Sarah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search