Tomorrow's the day!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2007, 04:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to be spending today preparing meals and cleaning to make the next couple of days easier on us. We have to be there at 7. I have some mixed emotions going into this procedure. I anxious and excited. I'm ready to get this over with, so that we can get on to the good stuff next cycle. At the same time, I'm not looking forward to the pain and discomfort afterwards.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I've been told to expect lots of gas. I assume it will be similar to what I experienced after my c-section. I'm also supposed to have comfortable, loose fitting pants.

Hopefully, next time I speak to you all, I'll have some definitely information about an IUI cycle!

February 21st, 2007, 05:47 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck!!! Good thinking on preparing meals ahead!
My advice:
1. Ask them to really "deflate" you when they're done. I told them about my 1st experience (which wasn't a good one) and how I was in so much pain from the carbon dioxide, so I asked them to make sure I was good and deflated when they were done. And this time, I only had bloating in my abdomen, which I expected, but just the slightest bit of discomfort in my upper shoulders, nowhere near the kind of pain I had the first time.
2. If you haven't had surgery before, be aware that you may be nauseous after you wake up and begin throwing up. They can give you something for that if it happens. Mine hit with no warning, I felt okay and then all of a sudden I was vomiting.
3. You may bleed vaginally alot after the hysteroscopy. The first hospital did not give me a pad until I went to the bathroom and then begged for one, and the 2nd hospital had one on me when I woke up.
4. Definitely loose fitting pants. Preferably the kind without a zipper! Even the weight of the zipper will be uncomfortable after awhile. Yoga pants are nice.
5. Warm fuzzy socks are a nice treat when you get home.

Hope everything turns out great!
February 21st, 2007, 06:24 AM
Blessedx3
Good luck hun!!!! i'll be praying and thinking about you today!
February 21st, 2007, 07:02 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I'm so glad your surgery date is finally here. The waiting to get these things over with can be overwhelming.

I've had 3 laps myself and in the realm of surgeries/procedures I've had, they really are on the easier end of things as far as recovery goes.

Some things I've experienced that may help you mentally prepare for tomorrow:

* the fasting and bowel treatment done the day before the surgery for me is the always the worst part. Being dehydrated is not a good time and those few hours from when you wake up to when they take you in are long because of that. There's really not a lot you can do about this other than to remember to bring something to keep your mind off of things while you're waiting to go into the ER (like a book or music)

* you will definitely feel bloated after the procedure so definitely yes to the loose fitting clothes. The gas they use to inflate your stomach never comes out completely. This same gas can cause pain after surgery especially in the shoulder tip area. Don't be alarmed if you're feeling pain there, just take some Tylenol - it will help.

* you may have some spotting after the procedure and that can vary case to case. I rarely have much, but there is a little bit.

* when you come to after the surgery, you may feel abdomonal pain/cramping but don't worry - they will give you serious pain killers and quickly and that will be gone before you know it.

* the meds used to put you out take time to get out of your system. Plan on the evening after your surgery to be a complete write off - you will more than likely just want to sleep. The next day you are able to function again, but still a bit groggy. I always take the day after the surgery off of work and return 2 days later - at that point you're pretty much back to normal.

* those same meds can make you a nauseated, although they usually give you meds to avoid that now. If you have a long car ride home from the hospital, bring a bag with you just in case. The hospital will usually give you one, but if not be sure to ask. Last thing you need is a mess in the car to clean up!

That's all I can think of right now. Try your best not to worry about it too much - it is honestly not too bad as far as pain/discomfort goes, it is very manageable.

All the best to you, sending tons of quick recovery vibes your way. Be sure to check in when you're up to it after your surgery to let us know how it went. I'

February 21st, 2007, 07:49 AM
ducky516's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Best of luck to you. I hope everything goes well and you're as comfortable as possible. Way to go ladies on providing so much helpful information. This is a great group of laides!!

Thanks Kara for my awesome siggy!
February 21st, 2007, 11:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow! Thanks so much for the great advice. I've got my comfy clothes and warm fuzzy socks ready to go. I'll make sure that I have some pads packed just in case. I've asked the doc to tell the anesthesiologist that I want drugs to keep me from getting sick (because I have a tendency to get sick after going under). The doc has given me plenty of pain medications, an anxiety pill to help me sleep tonight and some antibiotics for after.

I think I'm set! I'll give you all the update when I feel up to it! Thanks again.

February 21st, 2007, 11:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Also, be prepared for some discomfort in you shoulders and back (don't ask me why!!) That was the worst of the pain for me. Other than that, the recovery is easy. I had some cramps when I first woke up, but after the first dose of pain meds, they went right away.

Good luck!!!
February 22nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Regular
Good luck! I've had both, two laps and to HSG's...I guess pretty much what every one else said oh and probably too late but bring a pad or two. I bleed with the HSG's.Good luck, i pray that they find out the anwsers for you!
Rx-Clomid 5x's-2005-Did not respond
RX-Metformin and Letrozole-5/4/06
IUI-Ovulated 5-18-06-CD15
2WW-BFN
Rx-Letrozole-12/21/06
No ovulation-O pain present
BFN- 02/13/07

February 22nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
KittyMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to KittyMom Send a message via Yahoo to KittyMom
I hope everything went okay today Mindy

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">My Blog | My Chart</span>
I Love you forever, I Like you for always, As long as I'm living, my Daddy you will be
11/20/1939 - 05/31-2007</span>
[/b]</div>
February 23rd, 2007, 06:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have never needed to have this, but wanted to wish you good luck.
I hope the procedure is easy and and the results come back good.

Will be thinking of you.

Sarah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search