Transabdominal Cerclage, anyone?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Has anyone heard of this before? My doctor said that this is the type of cerclage that they would be putting in before we go on with the IUI.

It's kind of scary. If anyone knows more about it, let me know.

February 26th, 2007, 01:42 PM
~Sandy~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK I did some research on those a while back for a girl I used to work with and if I remember correctly the trans-abdominal one actually had much higher success rates then the normal cerclage.

If I remember right the regular cerclage is placed AFTER you are pregnant and your cervix is stiched closed like a coin purse if you know what I mean. They will stich it around and then cinch it closed and when it is time for birth they just unstitch it.

The trans-abdominal one is done BEFORE you are actually pregnant and in that one I think I remember that they go in almost like laparoscopy and make a U shaped stich from one side of the uterus to the other, so in this one they are actually stiching it closed above the cervix. I am pretty sure however that once you have a trans-abdominal one you must follow with a c-section as the stiches do not come out and therefore a baby will not fit through that area. The catheter for IUI will and sperm will and small things but your uterus will not open like it should. They say though that the trans-abdominal is the best for preventing pre-term labor and early dialation since really you can dialate with the trans-abdominal but since you are stitched shut above it cervix it wouldn't make much difference kwim.

I am about to head home from work, but I will try to find all the stuff that I had found for my friend and link it here for you. In the meantime I DO remember that the trans-abdominal was better by FAR than all the other options. (((HUGS)))

<3 ya Sandy
February 27th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sandy~Thanks so much for the information. That does sound to be like what my doctor described. The idea of another surgery is scary to me, but if that's what I have to do . . . I guess I'll do it.

I'm looking forward to the other links that you might have to share.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search