Don't know whether I'm happy or sad

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, we were referred to the RE for IUI by DH's urologist. We went today for our consultation and a lot of it was what I expected. Because I O on my own, he said we would probably start at 50 mg of Clomid with the IUI, but if I wanted to do 100, he was okay with that. When I was researching IUI, I also did some reading on PCOS, which I didn't know much about, but found that I had a number of the symptoms. Anyway, I talked to the RE about it. He didn't seem too concerned, but said that he would test my androgen levels, which would be a pretty good indicator. He said if they came back high, he may want to do a 2 hour glucose tolerance test. He also did a transvaginal ultrasound.

Well, when we went to do the ultrasound, he found over 20 cysts on my ovaries. He referred to the "string of pearls" and said that I had "PCOS-like ovaries", but that they were not enlarged. There was also a 12 mm cyst, and because I am 7 dpo, he wasn't sure if it was a corpus luteum or what, but said that it was too big to start Clomid right away. After the ultrasound, the RE said that given all the cysts, he wanted to wait for the androgen levels to come back and then see if I needed to do a glucose test. He is not going to do an HSG right now, because he said that I got pregnant naturally within the last 7 months, so he didn't think there was much chance that my tubes were blocked.

I was all prepared to be happy about moving forward with the IUI, and I still am, but now I'm really concerned about what PCOS might do to our attempts to TTC. We were so focused on DH's issues, I hadn't really stopped to consider that I might have some problems, as well. I know there are a number of ladies here dealing with PCOS....I guess I just want to hear that this isn't going to significantly hinder our chance to conceive. Anyway, I'm scheduled to start AF on Monday. The RE told me to come in on Monday if I have started so that they can do a scan and see if the large cyst is gone. If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. I know I haven't posted much, but since we are just at the beginning, I haven't had much news to share. I wish that today's news had just been a little bit better.
February 27th, 2007, 03:31 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know it wasnt the best news to hear but at least now you know. If you do have pcos they will get it under control and you will start your IUI's and get that beautiful bfp and a sticky bean!

February 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know how you feel hun.

DB has motility issues and i also have mild pcos.
It feels like one thing after another dosent it?

But you will be ok. Medication can treat most cases of pcos quite well and at least you
know what the probs are now and can find a way of dealing with them KWIM?

I found that discovering our issues was a new start for us.
We went from no hope to having IVF next mth which is amazing

Always keep hope in your heart and things will come good if they are meant to be

PM me if you need to talk.

Sarah
February 27th, 2007, 04:16 PM
KittyMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to KittyMom Send a message via Yahoo to KittyMom
Wow what a lot to take in in one day! Trying to stay positive for you - at least you know and can work on a plan so that you CAN get that BFP. I follow the advice I was first given here which is at least knowing we can do something and if we can have a plan (to obsess over), then at least we know we are taking control and moving ahead.

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">My Blog | My Chart</span>
I Love you forever, I Like you for always, As long as I'm living, my Daddy you will be
11/20/1939 - 05/31-2007</span>
[/b]</div>
February 27th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As much as it stinks to get bad news, I try to always at least be happy that we found out sooner rather than later. It would suck to find out months from now that you have PCOS and wasted a whole bunch of months! We only incidentally found out about our MF issues (which are MUCH worse than my ovulation problems!). I was devastated at first that we'd never have a baby naturally, but then I try to remember that if we had tried for years without getting him tested, we would have wasted all this time. Medications work great for PCOS, if that's what you have, and you already said you ovulate on your own normally (that's usually the biggest hindrance that PCOS poses... it messes up your ovulation cycle). So if you have it, it probably isn't very severe. Just try to take things one step at a time, but chances are, the clomid you were going to start anyway will be the treatment for your PCOS also. Hang in there!

August 2012 December 2012
February 27th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you guys, so much. I'm really trying not to get to down, but you're right....sometimes it just seems like one thing after another! Patience has never been my thing, but it looks like I'm just going to have to take it one step at a time....Right now I'm just hoping that the cyst has disappeared when I go in for my scan on Monday. After that....I'm hoping for no insulin resistance. Whatever the outcome, I'm just glad that I have you all to rely on for a little bit of support. You all are the best!
February 28th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I wanted to add in my support here.

I agree with the other ladies in that even though you have been dealt a bit of a blow, it is always best to know what you're dealing with up front then your doctors can come up with the best course of action for success!

Hang in there and stay positive and I am sure that your sticky BFP will come your way soon.

February 28th, 2007, 09:07 AM
alexa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it is always better to know so you can deal with the problem. If you are Oing on your own, if you do have PCOS it is probably very mild and will not interfere with you concieving. Clomid has shown to be really successful for women who do have even mild PCOS. If you do have a small cyst, it will hopefully pass with your AF. I have had this happen to me a couple of times.

February 28th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been dx w/ PCOS although I didn't fit many symptoms at all AND if it hadn't been for the follicle scan my last cycle, I would have NEVER known. Apparently my ovaries were RIDDLED w/ cysts, over 25 on each side if that tells you anything. Of course I did all the required b/w which came back all w/i normal range BUT when I did the 2 hr glucose/insulin test, I failed miserably. That test is the true indicator & verifier of PCOS along w/ the scan showing the cysts. For the record, I am not overweight, work out regularly & lead a fairly healthy lifestyle. Since the dx verification through the glucose/insulin test, I have been prescribed 1500mg of glucophage (aka ~ metformin). I have also cut my carb intake to 135-165 g per day. I have lost about 10 lbs & am feeling better now than ever before. I was devastated at 1st but relieved that we didn't have unexplained infertility. That would be so much worse since there is no "treatment" for it. Look at it this way, you now know what is wrong AND it can be fixed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search