My house was struck by lightening

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep, got home last night from work and noticed a burned smell. Lightening had struck the back corner of our house, it's charred in that corner. The rain must have put out the fire though cause there wasn't fire damage to the house, just that back corner.
The worst part was anything that was plugged into the wall, is fried Computer, 3 tvs, surround sound, 2 xboxes, sega, SNS, washer, dryer, garage door, dishwasher, dvd players, vcrs, fridge EVERYTHING! Everything is a complete loss. We even had surge protectors, but the insurance women said if it's a direct hit that surge protectors do nothing. Thank God for renters insurance!
So the insurance guy will be out in the next few days. Cable company has to come out today to rewire the entire house and bring new boxes and cable modem. The entire upstairs has to be rewired electrically. There are these tiny little burn marks on some of the outlets which is really screy to me
Thank God the house didn't burn down though and our animals are safe!

It is time for a VACATION!
June 20th, 2007, 06:37 AM
KittyMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to KittyMom Send a message via Yahoo to KittyMom
OMG! Guess it truly is time for that new house! Thank goodness neither of you were home - it was probably scary as heck when it hit.

What is the deal with lightening and this board? Bizarre!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">My Blog | My Chart</span>
I Love you forever, I Like you for always, As long as I'm living, my Daddy you will be
11/20/1939 - 05/31-2007</span>
[/b]</div>
June 20th, 2007, 06:42 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WOW! I am glad to hear that everything will be okay! That's scary!!!

When I was growingup, lightning struck something on our house, it was the huge clap of thunder that woke everybody, and good thing too, bc my sister's curling iron was plugged in and the surge not only turned it on, but burned out the heating control so it was super, super hot immediately. Now that could have easily started a fire! The only other thing that got damaged back then I think was the microwave . . . it was like it was posessed or something! After that, it would just turn on and off whenever it wanted to.
June 20th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't think to check the microwave! lol, I guess I didn't realize we had so much stuff plugged into the walls!

Yeah, this boards not having luck with lightening huh?
June 20th, 2007, 09:47 AM
lizm75's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is crazy, I'm glad your animals are OK. I would be so worried about my doggie!! Also, thank god for insurance, a lot of renters don't have it!! You are smart!!! DEF need to move into your own house now!
June 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wowee! That's insane! I'm glad you and your "kids" are ok AND that you had renters insurance. Sometimes after these situations things end up better than before --- take that from someone who had her condo burned down. The whole process was a pain in the rear, but the condo was WAY nicer when everything was fixed up! Just think....new computers, new tvs, new washer & dryer....woohoo! I know....it sucks, but there's definitely a bright side!

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
June 20th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok now...I know that reference about this board not having luck w/ lightning is directed towards me! Watch out! You saying I brought on the bad luck lightning strikes???? JUST KIDDING!

When I saw the title to this I about fell out of my chair. I really cannot believe that lightning has affected 2 lives on the same board. What are the chances of that? I mean, seriously, who is next? Hopefully no one!!!!!

I am so sorry you are having to deal w/ the stuff that comes after a lightning strike. I couldn't imagine having to get everything new. Just reading your post made me think about just how many things are plugged into our walls. YIKES! You are smart for having renter's insurance. I don't think I ever got any until the last place I was in that I was renting. That is a scary thought! Thankfully no one was home & your beloved pets are ok.

June 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Ok now...I know that reference about this board not having luck w/ lightning is directed towards me! Watch out! You saying I brought on the bad luck lightning strikes???? JUST KIDDING![/b]
Yep Hopeully it stops with us though and doesn't spread to anyone else!
June 21st, 2007, 06:37 AM
diznynurse's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG, thanks goodness you didn't have a complete fire! Thank God for lil blessings!

</div>

pregnant after 2 years ttc!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search