To Clomid Or NOT to Clomid

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2007, 08:58 AM
anitabpereira's Avatar Veteran
Ladies-

I'm on day 34. Last October I went to my OBYN for my annual and to to prep for TTC. I told her that my cycles were long (42-45 days) and she immediately recommended Clomid. She's got a fantastic resume and practices out of Beverly Hills -- but still Clomid w/o ever TTC seemed a bit strange. I ignored her advice and decided to never see her again. I got preggo immediately. I m/c in December.

Cycle 1 after m/c was 19 days long and weird. Didn't try but didn't prevent.
Cycle 2: Tried
Cycle 3: Prevented wisdom teeth got pulled
Currently on Cycle 4. In other words Cycle 2 of TTC.

My new OBGYN -- a very accomplished Reproductive Endo/Fertility Expert -- ran hormone tests. All normal. She told me that I could continue waiting but she recommended clomid. She doesn't think I ovulate.

At first I thought she was full of crap. But I think that maybe she maybe correct. I think I may have cycles where I don't ovulate. I've been temping but my chart looks awful b/c I had to fly across the country last week for a funeral. I missed a whole week of temping. Last week I did't take the OPK's (b/c of the funeral) but from my temp it doesn't look like I ovulated??? I did get EWCM last week and this week. I've had cramping/ovary pain last week and some on and off this week.

So ladies give me your opinion. Do you think there's a possibility I Oed this cycle? Should I go on Clomid?

*Hugs*
Ani

P.S. Healthwise -- I'm 27 and very healthy. I work out 4 times a week and am in great shape.

June 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM
lizm75's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would give yourself a few more tries before medicating. You got pg so your do ovulate, at least some of the time. I wouldn't jump to Clomid yet. I hate the side effects. When I take clomid my CM is non-existent and BDing can be painful sometimes. Also, being that you work out so much are you sure you have enough body fat? Sometimes you won't ovulate if you are on the low side. I went a year without ovulating because I was too low on body fat...
June 21st, 2007, 09:15 AM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Melissa*
Hey, I understand your dilema... I am 21 in excellent shape as well. All my tests came back fine, but my periods were always around 40 days long. The PROBLEM with that is, you aren't always ovulating, and more often, you aren't. What you think is a period, can be break through bleeding instead. It is still possible to get pregnant on your own, but it could take years to get the timing just perfect. Even when you ovulate you only have 15-20% chance of achieving pg. And that's only if you time everything just right. When you have no idea if you will even ovulate the chance dramatically decreases.
The whole point of Clomid is to make your cycles regular and predictable so you may time intercourse with ovulation. It helped me ovulate 3 out of 5 times but i didn't achieve pregnancy, so now I'm using a different ovulation induction med called Tamoxifen. I would go ahead and give it a try. The side effects are pretty minimal in most, and it would be probably worth it. I don't know, that's my advise atleast, Goodluck!!!!
June 21st, 2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks ladies. It's a hard decision. I'm leaning towards using Clomid b/c I hate not having a chance every month. If I knew I was ovulating every month I would suck it up and wait.

My husband I almost always have sex every other day for almost 3 years. You would think with all of that sex I'd catch my egg. I've been off of birthcontrol since June of 2005. We did the "pull out method" after July 2005. I always thought I would have accidentally gotten knocked up. No such luck.

I just want a freaking normal cycle!!! A chance!

June 21st, 2007, 09:29 AM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Melissa*
yea... i know that feeling all too well... We went off b/c in jan 2006 and after 8 months I figured I would've had an "oopsie" by now... After that I charted for a bit and realized my cycles were too screwy to do this on my own if I wanted to start my family soon. I am very glad I didn't waste anymore time trying on my own and moved on... it's really inexpensive and it's worth a try.
June 21st, 2007, 11:07 AM
hoping4littleone's Avatar Super Mommy
I think you should go for it!
I am 29 years old and have regular 28 day cycles in which I regularly ovulate around the 14th day. I have never had any problem getting pregnant since DH and I first started trying a year ago, but in that time, I have had four miscarriages. My RE put me on Clomid for the first time this cycle, not for ovulating reasons, but for the hope that it could possibly make me ovulate a better quality egg (that is what my problem has been, I have been ovulating poor quality eggs).

I never had any side effects from it - just a little more painful ovulation, but nothing too extreme. I know everyone is different though, so you never know what s/e you may experience. I generally tolerate medication pretty well, so I think that was on my side.

So, I took Clomid for a different reason than most would, but if your RE is recommending it, and you're okay with giving it a try, I say go for it!!

P.S. I think I remember you from the August DDC when we found out we were pg in December, right? I am so sorry for your loss. I know it's never easy. ((hugs))

</div>
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">

Born May 5, 2008

Shelby Suzanne: 7lbs,8 oz 17 3/4 inches 9:16 p.m.
Morgan Julianne: 5 lbs,8 oz 19 inches 9:17 p.m.
</div></span>
June 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks Jocelyn! I know -- I was so excited to be in the August DDC. That's coming up in a few months. August is going to be extr-sucky if I'm still not preggo. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope Clomid gives you an awesome egg! I called the OBGYN/RE for a prescription

June 21st, 2007, 08:50 PM
hoping4littleone's Avatar Super Mommy
Great!! I'm excited for you that you decided to give it a try I hope it works it's magic for you very fast!!

I know - August will be here before we know it, and I agree with you - it will be difficult. I lost our baby that was due in August at only 5 weeks along. I got pg again in January and was due in October, only to lose her (we found out she was a little girl) at 10 weeks along. We are just not having any luck at all!!!

I hope you get your BFP very, very soon!! Keep me updated!

</div>
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">

Born May 5, 2008

Shelby Suzanne: 7lbs,8 oz 17 3/4 inches 9:16 p.m.
Morgan Julianne: 5 lbs,8 oz 19 inches 9:17 p.m.
</div></span>
June 23rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't ovulate at all, nor did I have periods....I only had "medically induced" periods using Provera.....I tried Clomid once and found out I was pregnant on CD138!!!!! It definitely worked for me! I would say go for it!
June 23rd, 2007, 08:30 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With your situation & your dr advising you to take it, I would. Although there are s/e, they aren't unbearable & if it ends in you getting pg, then it is all worth it. I also got pg w/o any assistance, LMAO...except for DH. We lost that baby 7 weeks later. We try every month but to no avail. I have had several cycles of Clomid but taking it alone thins my lining so we tried it w/ injections & it worked beautifully on my body EXCEPT DH failed w/ his soldiers (very low & barely moving). So, now we are still trying, waiting to get another s/a so that we can do another cycle w/ injections & IUI. I am also in very good shape & work out 3 times a week. I have PCOS but you would never guess b/c I don't have any of the classical symptoms such as being over weight, extra hair growth on face, low energy, etc. The only way they figured it out was doing a scan on CD 14 & then following up w/ a glucose/insulin test which I failed miserably & sealing my fate to be dx w/ PCOS & insulin resistance. The right meds can do wonders! Best of luck & welcome!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search