Male Factor Ladies

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2007, 07:42 PM
Veteran
I have so many emotions going through me right now, and I could really use some input from those of you with a male factor issue. I got my husband's S/A results back today... and apart from my doctor calling it 'very bad' and saying we should go right to an RE, I need some first-hand help from you ladies. Please!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like his count is 203 million... and then you'd figure out how many out of that are motile (67%) and then get rid of the 97% that are abnormal (ugh), and that leaves about 4 million normal, motile sperm? Is that correct? Can anyone help me understand what it means to only have 3% normal sperm? Could it be temporary? Does it mean we need to go straight to IVF, or does IUI have a chance (barring any issues with me)? Is it correctable? How bad is it really?

Ugh, my heart is so heavy right now. I'll take anything anyone has to offer. I never, ever thought for a single moment that my husband had a role in this. I'm not sure why, but this hit me really hard.

Here is the S/A (blurred our information for privacy).

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7966/se...lysis002ng2.jpg
Kim, Mommy to Briley (3) & TTC #2!
Stalk Me
My Blog
Aug 07
Ultrasound ("a little PCOS")
Sept 07
S/A (great count, good motility, poor morphology)
CD3 + CD23 blood work (good)
Oct 07
IUI #1 w/ 50 mg Clomid + Trigger - BFN

September 21st, 2007, 08:00 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi
We have male factor IF to. It was very hard to hear when they told us dh's s/a results.

It is hard to change a man's sperm. Sometimes it can be caused by drugs or cig smoke or alcohol but usually s/a's do not change drastically..they may improve slightly though.. Anything below 20 million sperm is considered a low sperm count. Usually with IUI's they still recommend having at least 10 million motile sperm after the wash. That doesnt mean you cant try IUI's though! IVF gives you the best odd's but I would go see an RE before you even start thinking about ivf.

You can try putting Dh on a vitamins that are supposed to help a man produce healthier sperm. Or if he smokes get him to stop!

September 21st, 2007, 08:01 PM
Veteran
Thanks, girly. He does not smoke or drink.. he is 25 and in excellent shape.
Stalk Me
My Blog
Aug 07
Sept 07
Oct 07

September 21st, 2007, 10:26 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From what I've read in trying to find a reason to why my husband has a low sperm count is that its just genetics. My dh is just unlucky that his genes are programmed to produce low quality sperm. Thats why they say their is no cure for Male Factor IF. There so much they can do for women suffering from IF but nothing for the man...its not fair.

September 22nd, 2007, 05:36 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DH's sperm issues are bad on all three parameteres... low count, poor motility, AND poor morphology... so our only option with his sperm was IVF. However, the only issue you guys seem to have is poor morphology. Sometimes that can be helped a little, sometimes not. I read that acupuncture has been shown to improve morphology issues, so if he's up for some lifestyle changes, you could try 3 months of regular acupuncture, fertility vitamins, loose-fitting underwear, and no caffeine, alcohol, or smoke (even 2nd hand). But there's a chance that none of that will work, and then it's up to you and your RE how you choose to proceed from there. IVF would definitely be an option, but possibly IUI as well... I just don't know.

It comes as such a shock when you find out about this... I had thought that the only issue we had as a couple was my irregular ovulation, which I thought I could easily correct with some Clomid... imagine the shock when we found out about DH's S/A!!! We went from happily TTC straight to IVF, and it was the worst time ever for me... I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Anyway, everyone here is so helpful and supportive, so that will be a huge help for you I hope.

August 2012 December 2012
September 22nd, 2007, 05:36 AM
diznynurse's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
HI Actually your dh's results look alot my dh's! My dh has over 200mil which is actually really good, motility was 47% so kinda borderline there, and morphology was 5% very terrible! Your dh's count and motility are good. Morphology not so good! My dh went to the urologist (as per normal protocol) and he basically said this "no smoking drinking, hot tubs, no briefs he should wear silk boxers, and stay out of the heat! My dh is a plumber and is in the heat every day and he said that could have something to do with it. There's no medicine that can improve morphology. If you research the internet there is talk of vitamins such as zinc, vit. B complex, vit C, L-Carnitine (I think it is) that is suppose to help but I don' tknow. I bought FertilieAid for dh and he doesn't take it every day.

Anywho, basically he said have another S/A in 6mo (That'll be in November). He said we should be able to get pg on our own it'll just "take a little longer", well we are on month 20 in 10dpo and no bfp yet! I'm sure I'll be off to the RE by January! I go see my gyn November 1st.

PM me anytime, I know the frustrations and feeling you are having right now. Maybe we can be treatment buddies! Have you made your appt with the RE? I keep putting it off, hopeing and praying for a bfp! cause you know it only takes one lil spermie!!!!! That's what I keep telling myself! lol

</div>

pregnant after 2 years ttc!!!!!

September 22nd, 2007, 07:44 AM
Veteran
Thank you so much ladies, you have been so supportive and I really need that right now! My DH wears boxer briefs, does not smoke/drink, no drugs, very healthy, takes vitamins, in great shape, etc.... and I got pregnant once! I am starting to wondering if it was this way then also. It really does explain a lot, but it definitely came so left field. He does work outside in the heat on occasion, but giving up his job right now isn't an option. We talked last night and decided that we'd really like to give IUI a try for 2-3 cycles (mostly because we have nothing to lose, insurance will cover it all) before we consider other options. So, I'm hoping that we're given that option. I've read that IUI isn't the best approach for such poor morphology, but there's really not much to lose so we may as well try before we move on to other options. Because of some things coming up, we really only have three cycles left before we need to take a break for at least 4 months... so I am really praying that when I go in on 10/1, she lets me start IUI that very cycle (which starts the next week). I am also going to make an appointment with the RE (which will hopefully be before my next cycle starts also), and I'll see who I feel the most comfortable with. But I could really use any support/advice anyone has to offer!
Stalk Me
My Blog
Aug 07
Sept 07
Oct 07

September 22nd, 2007, 09:01 AM
ilmsg's Avatar Veteran
With the IUI, they'll 'wash' the sperm and take out the ones that aren't good swimmers, misshappen, etc.. so you'll only be left with the best of the best. They do like to see at least $10 mil post wash so I guess it all depends on where your DH's count is after that. I would at least give one IUI a whirl, see what the count is... if it's ok then continue on with a few more, if it isn't, IVF would be your best bet.
TTC #1 since October 2006

Three Clomid/IUI cycles... all BFN
IVF #1: Transferred 2, BFN
IVF #2 (FET): Cancelled due to thin lining, converted to EFT cycle

*Abnormal EFT/biopsy...surgical hysteroscopy done to remove scarring and polyps*
Mock IVF cycle and repeat EFT is NORMAL!

FET transfer 10/27, BFP!!

#1 Beta: 11/5 - 44
#2 Beta: 11/7 - 145
#3 Beta: 11/14 - 4835
1st U/S: 12/2 - no h/b, waiting to m/c

September 22nd, 2007, 09:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JeanneMo
Keep reminding yourself... It only takes one! It only takes one! It only takes one!!!
DH had a low count of about 1.8 mil. on his first S/A. They sent him immediately to a urologist who did another one and it was like 4.5 mil. still extremely Low! My Dr. told us we'd probably win the lottery before getting preg. naturally and both he and the urologist sent us to the RE saying IVF. WELL... IVF is 15 grand around here and no insurance to cover it meant that we'd have to start saving up and it would be a WHILE before we could try that. They basically said we could try IUI, but that it was really not worth it.
We got the same spiel about smoking, drinking, etc. and like yours, mine doesn't smoke and drinks just on occasion. Overall, a healthy guy and young guy. I think part of his problem is that he keeps his laptop on his lap a lot... UGH! SO anyway- he is NOT the boxers type so wouldn't switch over to those, but got better about the lap top and when I basically put them in his mouth for him- he'd take a zinc supplement. Well... after 19 months... I got a BFP and was able to call the RE and cancel upcoming appts. We did it on our own... still waiting to win the lottery though! It only takes one!!!

Dh thinks he might have also had some sort of virus or infection cause those can wipe out #'s too and when I told him I was preg. he admitted that he wanted to get another one done to just see cause he doesn't think those were accurate. So that is always a possibility. Make sure he doesn't even have a cold or anything else- maybe ask the dr. to do a general health exam to just be sure there aren't any bugs he could be carrying and just not know about.
Another option we talked about was looking into the varicocele procedure. I don't know much about it at all... except that they can do something to the tubes that kinda unblock them and allow it to be easier for the guys to get through. Your original starting count sounds good though- much better than ours!!! so that might not be an issue, but it is certainly cheaper, easier on all involved, and covered by insurance and has good success rates. Again- we never made it that far with any appts. cause it happened when we set it all aside to save money and decided it WASN'T going to be happening without us planning for it specifially!
Anyway- good luck! feel free to ask me anything else you need to... we've been there and to our surprise came out ahead!!!

My how they've grown!!! </div>
September 22nd, 2007, 10:00 AM
Veteran
Thanks so much, Jeanne! That was some really great information. I am starting to feel a lot better about all of this.

We'd been trying ourselves for a year and a half (and we weren't preventing for a year and a half before that)... so we're definitely ready to move on to something else. Silly me thought that 'something else' would just be Clomid! I am all for IUI, especially since my insurance will cover it 100%... it's definitely worth trying, and we don't have much to lose. So even if they say it's not worth it, I'm going to push for it. No colds here, my DH is never, ever sick. My biggest worry is how many will be left after they do a wash for IUI.

What medications do they usually do with IUI? Do you usually start with nothing... or Clomid... or...? And how do they usually progress you, like after one cycle on Clomid do they move to something else? Or does it totally depend? My last CD3 FSH was 7.6 and my LH (seemed low?) was 2.8. So, I'm not sure if that will also depend on me.

One of our other biggest problems is scheduling. DH travels for work overnight 3-4 days a week and is usually working far away even when he's not gone overnight, and they're totally unpredictable days. We'll definitely need help in the trigger department in that case, I assume. It's just so scary!
Stalk Me
My Blog
Aug 07
Sept 07
Oct 07

September 22nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JeanneMo
Well if you are like me then- you have probably "wasted" a lot of months by missing the days you needed to be BDing! We had that issue with him traveling for work several months and I would just lay in bed those nights knowing we needed to be having sex and just about in tears... another "wasted" month!

I don't know all the meds and procedures etc. and don't remember everything I was told since we were able to avoid all that. I do think you still have to at least go on BCP's for a month and then take a med (might be chlomid not sure) that will help schedule your OV and I think increase the egg count. They will monitor you and when it is time I think they help you with a trigger shot and then do the insemination. Then I think you are told to go home, lie on your back for a while, have sex to "put icing on the cake" and just stay off your feet for a day or so.
I'm not the one to ask about all this and I could be totally wrong and mixing up IUI and IVF procedures. I know LOTS of ladies on here have been through one or the other or both and can tell you better. If you don't get replies on here- start a new thread asking that question because that will get the right girls looking at your Question.

My how they've grown!!! </div>
September 22nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Veteran
Thanks, Jeanne. I am going to try to stay calm until my appt. on 10/1, but it's going to be hard!
Stalk Me
My Blog
Aug 07
Sept 07
Oct 07

September 22nd, 2007, 06:36 PM
ilmsg's Avatar Veteran
This will be my first IUI this cycle and the doc put me on Clomid along with it. He said typically you try 3 cycles with clomid/iui, then if that doesn't work move to injectibles/iui, then finally ivf. This is anyway how they do it at the clinic where I live.
TTC #1 since October 2006

Three Clomid/IUI cycles... all BFN
IVF #1: Transferred 2, BFN
IVF #2 (FET): Cancelled due to thin lining, converted to EFT cycle

*Abnormal EFT/biopsy...surgical hysteroscopy done to remove scarring and polyps*
Mock IVF cycle and repeat EFT is NORMAL!

FET transfer 10/27, BFP!!

#1 Beta: 11/5 - 44
#2 Beta: 11/7 - 145
#3 Beta: 11/14 - 4835
1st U/S: 12/2 - no h/b, waiting to m/c

September 22nd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Veteran
Thank you!!

Hey Jeanne, did you have a second S/A done? What are the odds that this would be totally wrong? I got it there within 30 minutes, so that doesn't seem to be a potential issue... and the times they have down seem appropriate. Even if that WAS it, I'm not sure time could make sperm go from normal to abnormal. I don't know, just wondering... if we can get another done, I'd like to have my doctor put in another order so that I can do it early this next week and get the results back before my 10/1 appointment. Or, would it not be good to do two S/A's so close together? Is it pointless? Sorry, a million questions!
Stalk Me
My Blog
Aug 07
Sept 07
Oct 07

September 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, everything I would have added has been said so I just wanted to say to you that I am sorry you are battling this issue. We did too. IVF was what we decided to do rather than waste the $ on IUI after IUI to not have any results. His spermies were super messed up but w/ ICSI & IVF, a miracle has happened!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search