A metformin question

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2007, 10:58 AM
proudmommato4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just got my precription of met filled today. My quesetion is should I wait untill af shows to start taking it? Are you supposed to stop taking it as soon as you get your bfp? Is it safe during pregnancy? Thanks lady's!

WE WILL NEVER FORGET OUR FOUR ANGELS IN HEAVEN!

October 1st, 2007, 11:32 AM
Regular
Hello

You can start taking the met as soon as you fill the script it doesnt matter where you are in the cycle. As far as when you get pregnant you need to ask your DR. They are all different some have you stay on it for the first trimester other tell you to stop taking it right away and yet others let you stay on all pregnancy. So its kind of a tricky question. Good luck with everthing

Mel
October 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You can start Metformin as soon as you get it. You don't have to wait after af is done. I've been on the med since June...3x a day. I haven't stopped since! From what I've been told and read, if you do get pregnant, it is recommended to still take it during your first few weeks/months of pregnancy. It apparantly helps in reducing miscarriages as well. But obviously you would follow the orders of your doctor whether to continue the med or not after conceiving.
October 5th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am currently 8w 3d pg & am taking 2000mg daily. I don't think I'll be stopping either so yes, it is safe to take during pgcy.

October 6th, 2007, 07:30 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started taking met before my AF and it helped to regulate in that cycle. As for PG, as the others said, it is a pretty controversial subject. My RE has said that he would keep me on the met if I was to get pg. I think that is the most current thinking on the subject. I would consult your doc if you do get PG.
October 7th, 2007, 09:44 AM
nursenic's Avatar Super Mommy
I stayed on Metformin the whole pregnancy. I was told it would reduce risk of MC and lessen chances of gestational diabetes.
I am still on it and will more than likely be on it for management of PCOS forever!

Natalee Louise "Lou"
Born 3/2/09 at 6:36pm
7lbs 9oz, 20 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search