Need to know what to do next?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2007, 09:45 PM
AMCM's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AMCM
My husband and I have been ttc for 10 months. He is 27 and I am 22. I have a history of hormone imbalance and I think I am having problems ovulating. My husband wants to get his sperm checked and I've asked him to ask his regular doctor about this but he thinks we both should look for a fertility center and go together instead of seeing our regular doctors first. I have some fertility centers in mind but don't know if we should just call to make an appointment or what to do. I don't want them to think we're jumping the gun but we've been trying 10 months and have used opks, preseed, different positions, etc. and we're young so they might be concerned by that, I hope . So should I call one of these fertility centers or see our regular doctors? What's the first appointment like? What kind of information do they need? Sorry if you get asked these questions a lot but this is really hard for me because I've always had a feeling that we would have to take this step, even when I was young I thought I would have problems ttc but now it's a little too real . I don't know about our insurance (Blue Cross) or if it covers things with fertility and I thought I read that most insurance does not. Anyways, thanks ladies!!!!

October 11th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Veteran
I have been trying for 10 months too...I have a son from a previous relationship, so never thought it would take this long. I went to my OB/GYN in August, and she sent me for some tests and my DH for semen analysis..I had a HSG test done to check my tubes, which were clear. My bloodwork indicated that I didn't ovulate in August. My DH semen analysis was ok, just motility was a little lower than average. but my GYN thought it could be do to a higher white blood cell count, so she prescribed antibiotics for him. Anyways, I decided to wait to see if I ovulated in Sept. on my own, which I did, but still no pregnancy. So this month I took the Clomid and ovulated yesterday..I do have a fertility monitor that we use too..I have a follow-up appt. with my GYN on Oct 24, and then she'll give me a referral to a RE, and we'll try the Clomid and IUI. Hope this helps...
October 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Quote:
I have been trying for 10 months too...I have a son from a previous relationship, so never thought it would take this long. I went to my OB/GYN in August, and she sent me for some tests and my DH for semen analysis..I had a HSG test done to check my tubes, which were clear. My bloodwork indicated that I didn't ovulate in August. My DH semen analysis was ok, just motility was a little lower than average. but my GYN thought it could be do to a higher white blood cell count, so she prescribed antibiotics for him. Anyways, I decided to wait to see if I ovulated in Sept. on my own, which I did, but still no pregnancy. So this month I took the Clomid and ovulated yesterday..I do have a fertility monitor that we use too..I have a follow-up appt. with my GYN on Oct 24, and then she'll give me a referral to a RE, and we'll try the Clomid and IUI. Hope this helps...[/b]
Thank you!

October 11th, 2007, 02:02 PM
SummerRose's Avatar Veteran
I'm in Canada and so in order for me to be seen by my RE I had to be reffered by my GP. I was originally told by a friend who is also seeing an RE that your DR doesn't like to refer you until you've been TTC for 1 year, syou may want to fib; 10 months is close enough I would make an appt with my GYNO and have them refer you.
My GP sent my DH for an SA, and I was tested for a whole bunch of things. I'm glad he did it, so when we started seeing the RE, all of the smaller things were already done.
Good Luck
TTC #1 Since Fall of 2004
"Unexplained Fertilty"
6 Cycles of Clomid, 3-IUI/Clomid, 2-IUI/Gonal F
M/C October 2006
IVF #1 ~ 21 Eggs, 13 mature, all 13 fertilized, 2 put back, 4 frozen = BFN
FET ~ October 2008
August 14 ~ Started BCP
September 6 ~ Start Lupron 10 Units
September 19 ~ Baseline U/S & B/W
September 20 ~ Start Estrace, Lower Lupron to 5 Units
October 2 ~ US to check lining
October 6 ~ Start Prometrium
October 10 ~ FET
* Praying for a Healthy Baby (or two!!) *

October 11th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Depending on your insurance, you may or may not have to be referred. We did not have to be referred, nor did we have to wait until after a year of TTC before seeking medical attention (in fact, because my cycles were so irregular, we on TTC for 1 month before seeing an endocrinologist!). My advice, to make sure you get in to see a doc... (of course this might not be 100% ethical)... say you've been TTC for 1 year. Sometimes it's a requirement for seeing a RE, and if you really think you need to see one, then it doesn't hurt to fudge the numbers a little and say you've been trying for 12 months.

As for what they'll do in your first appointment... that depends a lot on you and your doctor. I tend to be an impatient person, and my RE was pretty aggressive, so we got everything tested right off the bat. THat's how we found out about our male factor infertility (which we NEVER suspected since it was MY cycles that brought me to the RE in the first place!). I owe that RE so much for saving us tons of time and money on medications that never would have worked with our MF issues! So if you are as aggressive as I am about medical treatment, you can find a doctor who will work with you and get your hormones tested, get DH a semen analysis, and maybe even do an ultrasound of your uterus, tubes, and ovaries. Those tend to be the first steps, but of course, that depends also on what your problem is. Are you cycles irregular? Or do you suspect something wrong with DH's sperm? Have you had lots of pelvic surgeries that may have resulted in blocked tubes? History of heavy menstrual bleeding?

You'll go over all that with the doctor and together hopefully chart out a course of action that you're satisfied with. Just remember, if you don't think your doctor is doing everything you think you should be doing, then don't hesitate to switch doctors. This stuff is too expensive, time consuming, and emotionally draining to mess around with. Good luck!!!

August 2012 December 2012
October 11th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
I'm having the same issues! Glad you asked this!

October 12th, 2007, 05:01 AM
I thought my cycles were regular but it seems to be adding a week as time goes by. My husband and I went over the questions they ask and we had a bunch of things listed (I have a slightly tilted uterus, have had/dealt with depression, he's had "trauma" to his you know where, he's been around computers and some comps twice his size since he was 10) and those are small things to me but maybe not to a doctor? I was on depo for 3 months and had the worst cramps ever!! I had cramps that would make me drop and one night I had cramps that felt like contractions because they came every 5 minutes and I needed my husband to hold my hand to get through them. I would bleed for 10 days and had horrible mood swings. When we had sex I would bleed afterwards and it felt so bad. I've always thought something happened to me but I don't really know. The last shot was two years ago. During that time and some time after I felt the twisting in the ovaries that some women talk about when they have cysts but I never went to a doctor about it even when my husband would beg me to because I thought it couldn't be cysts and the doctor wouldn't believe me. Geez, now that I think about it I'm surprised we didn't think about going to get checked sooner!! Since we have to write out everything and anything I hope writing this all out for the doctor to see may help with our skipping trying a couple more times. Wish me luck!

Quote:
I'm having the same issues! Glad you asked this![/b]
I'm glad I'm not alone!! Thanks!!

October 12th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would definitely push to go see an RE. You don't want to go through another 14 mths of trying if you can get there now. Normally at your age, an OB will wait for 2 yrs but I say try to call the clinic, set up an appt & see if they take your insurance. My old insurance, I needed to get a referral but it seems that the new policy doesn't require it. Keep us updated sweetie!

October 17th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
Any news from the doctor? I am cautiously taking my next step. I'm having trouble because my insurance does not cover infertility. I'm unsure how it will work if I am prescribed any medication?

October 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Melissa*
Good advice ladies! Yes, i would deffinatly move on to an RE, let us know how it goes and what your next steps will be!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search