My Retrieval Story

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 14th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I made it through my retrieval this morning so thought I would share my story with you all

After sitting in the waiting room for a while, DF and I were taken into the changing room to get into our gowns. DF got a pair of pants to wear too, so he was pleased about that!

I then got taken to a bed and got my IV inserted and blood pressure checked.

I then got taken into the theatre and placed on the chair with my knees propped up, and all my paperwork was checked through. I was then given drugs in my IV to sedate/relax me - they started working quite quickly.

The doctor then inserted the speculum and I was given 2 shots of local anesthetic (one on each side of my vaginal wall) with a veeerrry long needle. It felt uncomfortable, but didn't hurt like I thought it was going to

Then the doctor started retrieving the follicles. I was able to watch this happening on the screen next to me, which was pretty cool. At first it was uncomfortable, and I thought "hey this isn't so bad" then I had some stubborn follies that kept moving around (the nurse said they must be boys!)

That's when the pain started. I will admit that I shed a few tears, and the nurse administered another 2 doses of drugs into my IV to calm me down a bit. DF was cringing too, I think he felt a bit helpless seeing me in pain and not being able to do anything.

I was so relieved when it was over. I started cramping a,most straight away, but that pain was more manageable for me. I was taken into a recovery-type room while they removed the fluid from the follicles to see how many eggs there were.

Guess what - there were 16 eggs!!!!

I was then taken to an arm chair as they needed the bed for someone else, and given a coffee and a pack of sandwiches. We then waited some more, until it was time for DF to do his "deposit"

I have to call them tomorrow afternoon to see how many eggs fertilised, and then my transfer should take place on Saturday

October 15th, 2007, 04:54 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YAY for so many eggs!!! I'm sorry about the pain though!!! Thanks a million for posting about that. I *think* they're knocking me out for mine but I was wondering exactly what it would be like if I get stay awake for it.
October 15th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You're welcome

Down here they charge extra if you want to be knocked out, plus it was a bonus getting to see it all happen on the screen

October 15th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Angel_Maker
Sorry the retrieval was so uncomfortable for you...but WOW...for so many eggs That's amazing....can't wait to hear more about this process as it happens for you.....maybe you'll end up with triplets too
October 15th, 2007, 09:01 AM
sillygirl5's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via ICQ to sillygirl5
Congrats on the egg count!

October 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay 16 eggs! Cant wait to hear the fertilization report!

I'm pretty sure I'm getting knocked out or at least mostly knocked out LOL for my retrieval.

October 15th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Super Mommy
excellent. or should i say EGGcellent. you're a brave girl to do that w/o being knocked out. i'm a wimp when it comes to pain.

Me-33-Liz
DH-48

Started TTC October 2005
TTC w/MA starting May 2007
April 2007-DH SA all normal
May 2007-Clomid - BFN
June 2007-Clomid w/HCG Trigger & IUI- BFN
July 2007-Clomid w/HCG Trigger &IUI-BFN
August 2007-Clomid - BFN
October 2007-Gonal-F w/HCG Trigger & IUI - BFN

October 15th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG! I couldn't imagine being awake for the experience. OUCHIE!

WOOT for 16 eggies! That is fantastic!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search