OK ladies, help me with a dilemma!!

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2005, 09:36 AM
meandmy5girls's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi there,

I thought I would consult with other "experts" on this one...

I went upstairs to take a real quick shower and took DD #4 in the bathroom with me. DD #1 is in school, and DD #2 and DD #3 were in the house. I told them I would be back in 5 minutes (I've mastered quick showers). Anyway, while I was in the shower, the water softener man came to the door to deliver salt. DD #2 let him in and he went to the basement, put the salt, and left.

I have told my DDs OVER AND OVER AGAIN to NEVER answer the door or the phone when I'm in the bathroom or shower; but as we can see, DD #2 had different ideas!! I am so thankful nothing happened, but I am terrified of what could have happened. I had a LOOOOONNNNGGG talk with DD #2, and I think she gets it now, but it could have been too late. I usually take my showers when DH is home, but I really needed one this morning, (we're going out later).

What else can I do? Even if I had just been peeing or something the same thing could have happened. I don't want to restrict my children for normal, every day activities...should I call the company and ask why their employee entered my house without an adult letting him in??? I'm so scared of sickos, especially with four DDs.

I feel like I failed somehow...any thoughts? If you think I did something wrong, I can take criticism too; I just feel so bad and what MIGHT have happened...

Samreen - 10
Mariam - 8
Raabia - 6
Aminah - 4
Yasmeen - 2...and...
Emaan, born 8/10/08; 7 lbs., 11 oz., 19.5 in...born in my Sienna!
</span>

February 4th, 2005, 11:08 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
First off, yes, I would call the company. That man should have asked for you before he came in your house. Secondly, I would have some consequences for your dd for opening the door. My kids are pretty good about not doing that. They will come scream at me while I am dripping wet in the shower or the phone will ring and ring and ring, but they are all pretty good about that. I am not sure what her age is so I don't know what would be appropriate. She really needs to understand how dangerous it is. Another thing you could do is make her sit on the floor in the bathroom while you take your shower for a while. Tell her that until she can follow directions and not answer the door she is not old enough to be by herself and will have to sit in the bathroom till you are done with your shower.

Just my thoughts,
Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
February 4th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Cindermella
they are small right

bolt higher on the door than they can reach

stuff like this doesn't sink in till they are 8 or 9 ish

no matter how much you drill it into them
February 4th, 2005, 02:32 PM
meandmy5girls's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks ladies...DD #2 is 5 1/2; I agree, she's probably too young to have much responsibility. Usually she will come hollering to me, but she did not this time; it only takes one mistake...believe me, she had some major lectures, and she has been told that she will follow me to the bathroom and wait (even if I have to just pee).

I have not stopped kicking myself since it happened. I spoke with the company and they said that this person will be reprimanded. I blame myself too though, and believe me, I've learned my lesson! Thanks for your input; thank God all my DDs are safe!

Samreen - 10
Mariam - 8
Raabia - 6
Aminah - 4
Yasmeen - 2...and...
Emaan, born 8/10/08; 7 lbs., 11 oz., 19.5 in...born in my Sienna!
</span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search