Have you ever....

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2009, 04:39 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hhhmmmm...not sure how to word this question. Have you ever had a very scary moment with one of your children? One that makes you grateful that they are still alive?

The locked car doors thread was my reason for this question.

When my youngest, Shane was two, he was playing in the downstairs playroom with the other three. I went downstairs to check on him and he wasn't down there anymore. No one knew where he was. After searching our house for a second, I went outside and found him stuck in my car outside!! He had gone in there to get something - and didn't know how to open the doors to get back out. It was a VERY hot summer day and about 100 degrees outside. He was very sweaty and crying - but ok. I can't imagine what would have happened if I hadn't gone looking for him. It certainly doesn't take long for something tragic to happen in a hot car.

For that reason I have always kept my car doors locked at all times.

What is your scariest mom moment?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

August 8th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh my! That is scary! I certainly can't top it. I had one try to drown the other day. A couple years back my then 2 yo walked off our property, past horses, water, dogs, vines, etc. I found him when I was driving home on the road. And probably the one that was most visibly shocking was when my oldest was 2, I took a shower. I left the dishwasher open to put away dishes later. When I walked out, I saw her walking down the steep back stairs, that were sandy, holding a butcher knife!
August 8th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not sure if I have mentioned this, but I am pretty sure I have.

Korinne developed epilespy, reason unknown, at the age of 7 months. It first started out with just two seizures and an overnight observation. In my heart, I knew something was more to it. Of course the doctor just acted like I was a paranoid mother.

Thanksgiving Day, 2007, my baby had to get a life flight to the Riley's Hospital For Children in Indianaplois Indiana because our local hospital could not stop her seizures. Finally, the only thing they could do was intubate her and put her in a medically induced coma and for two weeks, she was in the ICU before they could get it all under control. For a whole year after that, on and on, we would have interminent emergency flights/rides and hospital stays to that hospital.

She has now been seizure free for nearly 9 months now and is full swing into the terrible twos. They can get so tiring at that age and can have a tendency to wear on your nerves, as you well know, but all I can think of, when I get too frustarted, is that I almost did not have my baby girl with me on a couple of occasions and I could have either, god forbid, lost her, or she could have been wheelchair bound, or mentally retarded.

Very humbling, I must say.....

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
August 8th, 2009, 02:39 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by indymommy6 View Post

Korinne developed epilespy, reason unknown, at the age of 7 months. It first started out with just two seizures and an overnight observation. In my heart, I knew something was more to it. Of course the doctor just acted like I was a paranoid mother.

Thanksgiving Day, 2007, my baby had to get a life flight to the Riley's Hospital For Children in Indianaplois Indiana because our local hospital could not stop her seizures. Finally, the only thing they could do was intubate her and put her in a medically induced coma and for two weeks, she was in the ICU before they could get it all under control. For a whole year after that, on and on, we would have interminent emergency flights/rides and hospital stays to that hospital.

She has now been seizure free for nearly 9 months now and is full swing into the terrible twos. They can get so tiring at that age and can have a tendency to wear on your nerves, as you well know, but all I can think of, when I get too frustarted, is that I almost did not have my baby girl with me on a couple of occasions and I could have either, god forbid, lost her, or she could have been wheelchair bound, or mentally retarded.

That sounds so scary!! I am glad that she is doing better.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

August 8th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Quote:
Originally Posted by indymommy6 View Post

Hugs. I am sure you appreciate her that much more because of it.

I could write a short book called - How I Got Gray Hairs at 30; A Story About Sebastian - but I'll pick just a few.

At two he LEFT the house when everyone was sleeping and walked over to my mom's (she lived next door at the time)

At birth he failed his APGAR, couldn't sleep in my room because of breathing problems, went to the children's NICU for jaundice, had a hole in his heart...

Was sick, with pain, was lethargic, couldn't walk, high fevers on and off, screaming in the night while clutching his legs, crying, neck pain, shoulder pain, headaches, was told we would have to get his bone marrow tested....... long (very long) story cut short (very short) he had lyme. I have never, ever felt relief like I felt the day when, months into it, they found out what was wrong.

August 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
MamaJessie-

Isn't it the worst thing in the world when your child is sick? And there's not anything in your power you can do?

Heres hoping our children remain healthy.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
August 9th, 2009, 06:41 AM
momoftwinsand1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
One of my twins got bit by a copperhead when she was 2. We spent 3 days in the PICU and 3 days on the regular ped. floor. Other than their NICU stay it had to have been the scariest time in my life. I locked the older 3 in the car once and had to call 911 so they could come unlock the doors. It was like a 95 degree summer day, the twins were 2 and Jenna was 6 weeks it was horrible. they were only in there for about 10 minutes but it was so hot.
John Allen 4-4-06, VBAC 6 pounds 2 ounces 19 inches long
Paige Belle 5-21-07, VBAC 5 pounds 9 ounces 17 inches
Ava Marie 2-28-09, VBAC 5 pounds 10 ounces,16 1/2 inches
Jackson Douglas 2-13-13, VBAC 6 pounds 5 ounces, 19 inches
August 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Mommy to Many
Last November we were in the kitchen finishing dinner. Alise went upstairs to brush her teeth because she was the first one done. Not even a minute later I heard a thud. Then she came running to me, her mouth, face, and shirt full of blood her top tooth hanging from the roof of her mouth. She fell on the hardwood stairs and broke out four of her teeth. Not necessarily life threatening, but there was so much blood and it was so scary for her and me! When Lillie was just five weeks old I ran to the grocery store with her to get more diapers. I left her sibs with my brother at my place so I was rushing to get back. I used the automatic starter to get the air going, put the baby in the carseat... the belt was crooked so I put down my keys on the floor of the car to fix it... you know the rest. Closed the automatically locking doors with her and the groceries inside with my keys. She screamed because it was HOT and had to call the police who got her out really quickly. Repeated a similar dance with same kid a year and a half later, but thankfully she mastered putting down the window (thank GOD it wasn't locked!) and I was able to fit my arm in and pull the lock up! Scary stuff.
August 10th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My 4th was a preemie, and she was born purple and barely breathing, that was super scary.

Last year fall, I thought my youngest was downstrairs playing when the doorbell rang, and the lady said "there's a little girl and a dog playing by the road". She had gone outside on her own and we live by a highway. She was just fine but I did feel like the worst mother in the world.
August 11th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine was not too long ago when I took my one year old to the MD for a severe case of croup. The doc had to call 911 from his office and grab the oxygen tank to help my son breathe. Paramedics rushed in, I had to leave my little girls with receptionist because they couldn't ride in the ambulance, and I went with the baby to the ER. Whew! What a day that was! He was in the hosp a few days and needed emergency breathing treatments about every 2 hours, but finally recovered and all is well.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search